The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

meaningfulmoney
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of meaningfulmoney
I am just starting out to pursue Mentalism. I have been working on my routines and now am looking into marketing myself. I have heard about two marketing books that have been recommended. One is by Randy Charach and the other is by Dave Dee. Does anyone have any experience with either of them? I am wondering if one is better than the other to purchase or if I should get them both.
James Alan
Benjamin Garth Mack
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Benjamin Garth Mack
I haven't read either of those, but Joel Bauer's Hustle Hustle is solid.

Good luck my friend.

Dianna Zimmerman taught me some of the most substantive lessons on marketing myself and building my stage character...and I see mentalism as a type of magic that definitely requires character.

Customer satisfaction is your most important asset.

Funny, I just took a cell-phone call and found a flyer for a local magic show I missed...Joe M. Turner's "shenanigans" show that was on January 26th...I just missed it.

I've been a Senior Vice President in advertising and have worked on a half-billion dollar client...but many of the dynamics apply.

Joe's flyer says "Atlanta's new magic experience"...if you dig magic, this is for you...but the flyer was at Carribou in Buckhead and there isn't really a magic following in this place, except the occassional person trying to find Ong's Hat.

If he had promised something specific, that I'd have to see in order to believe, he might have engaged more minds.

My coaching to you is..."Don't hype." Know what you deliver and find an engaging way to discuss what you consistently deliver well. Then, after you give a show, ask for referrals.

Ask for shows. Ask people to give your card to people who coordinate holiday parties.

Tableside Tip$ was my book on making a living as a magician but I doubt you can find a copy these days and the spelling errors make me hesitant to copy the one I have.

Here's to your success.

Ben
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Jim Snack has an audio called "Marketing for Mentalists" that has some great info. You can find it at http://www.success-in-magic.com under the "resources" menu.

Tim
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Neale - Bacon
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Neale - Bacon
I sometimes wonder if some of these guys make money as Marketers or as Magicians?

Most of the best marketing books I have ever read have nothing to do with magic as most marketing principals are transferable.
Neale Bacon

Ventriloquist and Magician

Burnaby BC
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Aside from the Jim Snack stuff I would avoid all marketing books targeted at the magic community. Most are a complete joke. I say most not all I am sure there are more exceptions than just Jims work, though his stands out above them all.

Look for actual marketing books. Take a marketing course at a local community college. Figure out why people are buynig things like your show.

Then find a sales course. Carneige is highley recomended here by many. I took the Xerox coruse. Don't let the titles fool you into thinking "what do they know about magic", selling is selling. A good marketer or salesman is interchangeable throughout any industry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Neale wrote, "I sometimes wonder if some of these guys make money as Marketers or as Magicians?"

That's a legitimate question. I would rather learn about the business of magic from someone out there doing 100-200 shows every year. Furthermore, while general books about business and marketing are an important foundation for any startup, building one's magic business does have unique challenges that are a different from other businesses. It helps to learn from someone who has traveled the road you seek to take.

Jim

PS: Thanks for the kind words, Danny.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Jim, the kind words are quite well earned on your part. YOU are the exception to my rule without a doubt!

Your advice is always golden and heartfelt.

Problem is most books are written by guys who never do shows because they either lack the ability to do shows well, or their ability to sell them well.

BUT they can sell what seem to be good ideas to people looking for help.

This is a harsh generalization I realise, but it is costly to find out the hard way. It may actually be less expensive to just do trial and error than through bad advice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
James -

Here is one thread that might be of interest to you. Lots of tips are dropped about business books to invest in, and even sales / personal development training to take (if you are so inclined to develop yourself that way). Most of the products and courses talked about, come from non-magicians:

Magic Café thread titled... Cold-Calling

Here are some others you might find helpful, as well:

Magic Café thread titled... Business Book Recommendation!

Magic Café thread titled... There are N......usiness!

Magic Café thread titled... Direct mail vs phone/mail

These are just a few of many threads in the tricky business section that suggest ideas for possible books to read.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL