The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading - If you could do it all over again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Joe
I hear you brother and shared your path.

Tony
The Truth Seeker
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of The Truth Seeker
Quote:
On 2006-01-31 12:37, bartlewizard wrote:

May I ask what your credentials are Truth Seeker, since you seem so keen on denouncing others?

Bart, pretty much why I asked the questions of you. Looking back over your previous posts exposes a certain bitterness towards those who are clearly more talented and professional than yourself. It does make one wonder of your motives.

Such negativity..... still if it makes you feel better!

The Truth Seeker

p.s As for denouncing others, there you have me wrong, I may not like certain 'works' but at least I have a little respect for those out there 'doing it' not to attempt to rubbish them on a public forum.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
It would be great if we could stick to the subject of cold reading (I'm not directing this at any one person, by the way).

Thanks,

Jim
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of David Numen
It would indeed jimtron, and in that spirit I have taken my discussion with Truth Seeker to PM.
eddie104
View Profile
New user
Florida
44 Posts

Profile of eddie104
Wow, thank you all for these suggestions
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi, Mota
Yousaid it all 'on the back of a post card'
Great post
Great advice
LOL
TJ
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
If I could do it all again, I would read more pulp psychology books, and fewer cold reading books!

Specifically, I would memorise key points from:

"Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" by John Gray.
"Passages" by Gail Sheehy.
"New Passages" by Gail Sheehy.

Studying these three books will allow you to give really accurate readings by simply knowing someones sex and approximate age.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
The third thing I wish I knew about is how to really experience any person as a unique individual. That I think is a clue to be able to better pick up on what people don't say. And, yes, 7thSon, knowledge of gender and developmental psychology are very important. You will certainly encounter many who have read or have heard of the popular authors you mention. There is a Jungian door and framework as well that grows richer and more viable the older I become.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
The Dance is being reprinted in paperback and is currently on its way to the bindery. It will be available for pre-sale on December 5 through your favorite dealer (or directly through me). I hope to have it ship within 2 weeks.

Brad
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Richard Webster's books, yes, very informative work.

Also Jim Callahan's "Intelligent Redesign", though I don't own this particular Jim Callahan product, I've heard phenomenal things about it and I can vouch for his other superior work which I do own and use.

And just for fun, my own "The Fortune Teller" - (memorization required).
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I'm sorry, I neglected to mention my very simple "Astragalomancy" and "Cartomancy Overnight" eBooks which are a great source for those getting started.

At least my mass of followers agree.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
The Dance to be reprinted? This is welcome news, my thanks to Brad Henderson, I WILL be a customer.
AND many thanks to Alexandre, for The Fortune Teller, recommended for a no-nonsense and practicle (oops-thats practical-Sanctum again-) initial step.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I wish I'd read Knepper's "Completely Cold" as well as the late Joe Riding's "Advanced Cold Reading" when I started learning.

I tend to think of Ian Rowland's book as being like a library of subroutines you can use in different situations once you have the basics under your belt. Plus he's a nice bloke. Gave me a replacement for my knackered old copy at Tabula Mentis, and signed both. Nice!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2586 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Hi guys & gals,

What we're all forgetting is it's "horses for courses"!!!

We all need to learn in different ways and teachers teach in their own style!

So it's either up to us to find the right teacher, or the teacher to find the right student, or better still the teacher to teach in many different styles!

That's why I like Kenton Knepper's 'Completely Cold' because it boils cold reading down to some very basic principles...doubt (though don't know) that it'd work on its own and strongly believe that you'd need more techniques!

I also like Knepper's 'Wonder Readings', because it starts off with things that even complete dunces (who don't like having to memorise a script and don't like having to rely upon my virtually non-exsistant intuition/improvisation skills) like me could do, to much more advanced techniques that we can incorporate once we've got the basics 'down pat'

I also like Ian Rowlands 'Full Facts About Cold Reading' because it gives you all the tecniques under the sun; but, it requires some serious memorisation and it doesn't take you by the hand and show you how to go from beginner to expert!

The other systems I like, actually teach you how to read palms, which I feel are essential, unless you want to look like a dunce, in front of the client who's 'boned up' on palm reading, and they're as follows...

Bev's Speed Learn Palm Readings Plus Palm Tick Sheet COMBO
http://payloadz.com/go/jump?id=249341&merch_id=&aff_id=17144

&

Alan Strydom's Palmistry Quickies
Alan Strydom's Simple Esp Card Reading System
(which you'll find somewhere in the magic Café...it's where I got it from)

The one system that I didn't get on with was Richard Webster's (sorry Mr Webster)!

So you see, "horses for courses"!

Warm regards,

Martin King
Tanis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tanis
I have used Ians book very effectively as a starting point, one point made here was the book would not be very usefull if someone was working as a real psycic, surely a real psycic wouldn't need to use a cold reading tecnique, I worked for many years as a childrens entertainer here in south Wales under the name Stuart J, after the show I would talk to the parents and use cold readings to give them insights into their lifestyles, its amazing how much you can pick up from the venue etc, this helped get a lot of repeat bookings, back to cold reading Ian Rowlands book is a great start, but there are many others out there, it's what suits you best
Subgenial
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Subgenial
I have been cold reading now for 48 years and am court astrologer for the Queen. I am also taller than anyone here - so here is my advice.
(this works with Tarot, Tea-Leaves, Runes, Flys on the wall etc).
Look them in the eye - but 3 inches behind and say.....
'What do you think this looks like.....' Take it from there...
'Are we here?'
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12089 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-12-23 06:10, martin king wrote:
Whoops, I posted twice, sorry guys

We all need to learn in different ways so reading it twice helped me. Thanks! Smile

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I would stick with the Sim Stone Manual! Smile
Special collectors edition due to be relesaed in 2008 (170 sets)
Bri
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-12-23 10:23, mindyourmagic wrote:
I would stick with the Sim Stone Manual! Smile
Special collectors edition due to be relesaed in 2008 (170 sets)
Bri

Never heard of it.

Is this something you are putting together? If so, can you provide a description?

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading - If you could do it all over again (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL