The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Using an effect that can not be found anymore (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I was going through some old magic that I found stashed away in my storage unit and I found an old close-up effect called "Embezzlement". I have done a search on different magic sites but have not found anybody that has the effect. I say all of that to say this, is it ethical to have a printer make up more copies of this effect? This is not to sell them but to be able to use the effect again. It is a pad of papers the have certain amounts of money printed on them. The paper is tore off of the pad when the trick is done. Not sure if any of that makes sense but I hope it does.

Thanks

Steven
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5061 Posts

Profile of entity
If it is currently not a marketed effect, and you paid for it originally, and you are making it up just for yor own use, and not for sale to others, then I would say you are on firm moral ground when you make up refills for your own performances.

- entity
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Entity

Thnaks for the post. I was worried that it might be in a gray area for ethics. I would not want to go and have it duplicated and then find out I had broken a copyright law. The trick is about 25 to 30 years old and I hate to use anymore of the original papers that came with it. I am kind of a collector nut. Not a lot in my collection but a few things. Anyway thanks again.

Steven
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where folks get into issues is when they take a product, change the prop a little, add a couple of trite contemporary references and then attempt to SELL IT.

YOU ARE EXPECTED TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR MAGIC IN PROPS, PRESENTATION AND BASIC THEATRICAL CONTEXT.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
another guest
View Profile
Regular user
.Malaysia.
128 Posts

Profile of another guest
You shouldn't have asked this question. Just do it... Youre not selling it anyway.
House
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5061 Posts

Profile of entity
When in doubt, ask.

- entity
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
When in doubt, ask. It takes more strength and maturity to ask when in doubt than not. Only a fool proceeds without.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Thanks to all that responded to my post. I always try to stay with in the bounders of the law and that is why I made the original post. I did not want to cheat anyone out of any roayalties by just reprinting the effect. Again thanks to you all.

Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Using an effect that can not be found anymore (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL