We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » James Randi Interesting post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Man, you guys just killed me.
(A few posts up)
I am sitting here with tears in my eyes the words blurring to double.

Gotta go think and be thankfull.

Jack


H.12/O.17 A-X
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
He just forgets about them. I don't want to get into the debate over the selection proces of who is eligable to try for the prize, or the article of Randi abandoning an article/challenge hald way through. I don't know the true story and there could be many reasons he left that project. If I mention one situation, someone else will say sour grapes, and it will continue until we have gone through the entire history of the Randi Prize and challenges. Nothing will be settled on either side.

Tony
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 16:33, Slim King wrote:
Randi's challenge is for people who have abilities beyond the normal. To me, PRAYER, is one of those abilities. However, it would be very hard to put my mother in "Test" conditions of any kind. That's why Randi's challenge is rigged.


Do you think(extreme example)relatives of people missing in asian Tsunami didn't pray? Or 9/11(which always seems to be brought up) What percent of their prayers were answered do you think? Why not all prayers?
Why did prayers not stop my Grandma from dying?

I think prayer could be tested.Have a control group of 100 people pray to win lottery the next day.See how many are answered.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Let's not move into an area where we debate faith.

Randi is this threads topic.

Tony
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Believing does not make it fact.

Children believe in the tooth fairy. Doesn't mean it exists.

- entity
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The opposite is true as well, ignoring something because you cannot face it does not mean it does not exist.

So we have a Yin/Yang situation.

Tony
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Yes off topic again.

I say let us look at the good Randi has done.

I know a lot of people do not charter planes to head south for spychic surgery becouse of Randi.

Heck it was thousands as I remeber it.
Doctors in the USA and Canada were feeling the pinch of these fakes.

Thank goodness he saved us from that terrible scam that thousands were falling for.

Docators should thank him and the drug companys too.

Jack

H.12/O.17 A-X
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 16:57, Harry H wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 16:33, Slim King wrote:
Randi's challenge is for people who have abilities beyond the normal. To me, PRAYER, is one of those abilities. However, it would be very hard to put my mother in "Test" conditions of any kind. That's why Randi's challenge is rigged.


Do you think(extreme example)relatives of people missing in asian Tsunami didn't pray? Or 9/11(which always seems to be brought up) What percent of their prayers were answered do you think? Why not all prayers?
Why did prayers not stop my Grandma from dying?

I think prayer could be tested.Have a control group of 100 people pray to win lottery the next day.See how many are answered.


Pushing the envelope here. Your test of the lottery is crazy. If you believe in prayer as a supernatural event than you have to believe that somebody is answering them. Who is to say that however that might be for you wants to take the test?

Beleive me prayer can be supernatural, but it can't be tested. Randi could not construct a true test to prove if prayer is real.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Jack
What you say is true. But don't forget he hurt the sales of Vernet. <G>

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Your joking right Tony?
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 18:38, chichi711 wrote:
Your joking right Tony?


I was. Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Yes, I was.
He actually helped sales, many new psychic surgeons poped up because Randi had taught them how to do it. <WINK>

In our twisted culture, exposure shows actually teach more people how to do, or encourage more to attempt what is being exposed than stopping those that already doing it. (My exoerience, more people were buying tricks at the magic shops after Valentino than before, more people were ordering marked cards after the exposure of these in the gambling shows. The list goes on. The uncreative, future flim-flam artists get training on national TV. )


Tony
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Yes three in the phone book here in Hilton Heas SC.

More in New York. I think 37

Jack

H.12/O.17 A-X

Posted: Feb 6, 2006 7:33pm
Gotta pull out now thanks guys.

Had fun

Jack

H.12/O.17 A-X
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It's neat the way J ack just can't resist.

Why not cut to the chase and just call Randi Hitler or better yet the Devil!

Come on man he is 80 and of no harm to anyone supposedly, heck he supposedly FEARS J ack and you other internet tough guys. Why bash him?

J ack he strikes me a lot like you. You know "I do what I claim I can do that is it".

What is wrong with that position?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Jack after your test are you gone from the Café forever?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Randi is in the hospital after emergency by-pass surgery. He is in stable, but critical condition.

- entity
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Wow are you serious Entity?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Very.

- entity
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Jack you better hurry my friend.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Entity that is serious no matter who it is.

I wish him or anyone well in those circumstances
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » James Randi Interesting post (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL