We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » James Randi Interesting post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
I have never met Randi but I do hold him in high regard for what he does.Every time I see John Edward's smug face on TV I wish for Randi to bring about his downfall.Maybe one day he will.
Icy,a brilliant post on page 8,I thank you.
On subject of exposure.Has it hurt Lance Burton(his shows are sold out for years to come,so no.) has it hurt David Cpperfield?, Penn & Teller? Instead of whining like babies run towards the exposure,embrace it and still fool the audience.

People like Keith Barry and the Dirty Tricks show do worse things for magic IMO than anyone.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Randi reminds me of my grandad, 'Pop', he was a mathematician and inroduced me to math magic (bfore that I had no interest in maths), he said he taught winston churchill how to play pontoon, he used to cry when people were marching on the telly.

Corona
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
While I only talked to Randi on the phone once many years ago (about 1978 to 1981 I don't remember the excat year).
A friend of mine was getting very much into escapes at the time, and had written Randi a number of times.

Randi invited him, via mail, to come see him, and put him up in his own home for a week or so.

My friend took him up on the offer, and had what was probably one of the best experiences of his life there. He learned quite a bit, and had nothing but good to say about Randi.

Just relating the only, somewhat personal, experience with Randi that I have had.
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Randi actually sought me out after seeing my performance here http://www.litvnet.com/closeupwithchestershow3.htm
as it turns out penn and teller saw the clip, and decided that they should pass it on to Randi, as he mght enjoy it.

All this said and done, Randi and I then corresponded for a while, in that time he had sent me copies of both of his book tests. Which if anyone know of them, will know that they are very rare, and very good.One copy I believe is his own personal one, while the second is ultra rare, it is the only one of it's kind in the world. It was printed with the cover upside down. TREASURES!

Since we have chatted at great length several times, and I have consulted him on a few pieces in my new show.

SOrry, maybe instead of comming to his defense as people who know him, why don't those of us fortunate enough to have him be a part of their lives share their experiences with the Café. This way people can see his TRUE colors...
xxx
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
The only contact Ive had with the man,is a couple of emails regarding a UK medium Mia Dolan who was spouting on her forum about how she had applied for the challenge.This prompted Rand to make his one and only post on her forum,letting everyone know she was lying!! It was a great moment to share webspace with him;I wish he would visit the UK.There aren't many legends of his age and experience left.The closest to Houdini the world has,I think.
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

Simply put, Randi is a friend--and I have attended three of the four Amazing Meetings that JREF has produced. (I missed the recent conference due to health problems; otherwise, I would have been there.) And I am honored to have spoken and performed at two of the first three events, along with a list of other performers that includes: Jerry Andrus, Lance Burton, Banachek, Mac King, Jamy Ian Swiss, Andrew Mayne, Todd Robbins, Penn & Teller, and others.

As with any person, there are times that I agree with Randi, and there are times that our opinions differ. Believe me, one of the keys to any good relationship is to be able to agree to disagree. After all, it would be horrible to only associate with those that believe exactly what you believe all the time--just ask the folks that hung around with Jim Jones.

But sadly, when I see topics like this on internet forums, the vast majority of people that speak with enormous amounts of venom simply have no first-hand knowledge of the subject. Or worse yet, they CLAIM to have first-hand knowledge when, in truth, they have altered the facts in an attempt to make themselves look better. Either way, this creates incorrect assumptions, statements, and so-called "facts" that these people can never really validate. Simply put, their claims are inaccurate and very nebulous.

If you have strong feelings about Randi, that is fine. But before you start making claims and accusations, please learn the real facts--not just the ramblings that come from people that haven't taken the time to uncover the truth for themselves. (And in regard to individuals that claim JREF has backed out of tests, those people are simply trying to find loopholes to hide their method of trickery--but instead of loopholes they simply expose themselves to be holes of another kind.)

Most importantly, I look forward to Randi regaining his health, and I hope to see him back at his desk at the JREF office very soon.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue
Deceptions Unlimited
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
So far anybody that has MET Randi seems to only have really good things to say about him. That speaks volumes to me!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I've spoken with James Randi face to face only a couple times, and only briefly, but I've corresponded with him a number of times over the years. As others have stated, he's always been beyond generous with his time (even when he was short on it) and his knowledge (which he's never short on). Most recently I wrote to him asking permission to use his picture for a phony "psychic" ad in a gimmicked horoscope mini-magazine, which will be part of an effect I'm putting together. I wasn't expecting a reply any time soon, because I knew he had only recently returned from the last Amazing Meeting and was probably still recovering. But within five minutes of hitting the "Send" button, I had an enthusiastic reply with links to several photos I could use, plus an offer to dig up an older picture of him as a young man, wearing a turban. (I declined the offer, because one of the pictures he directed me to was already so perfect that it instantly became a full-page fake ad rather than the quarter-page fake ad I had imagined.)

I've also seen him lecture on three different occasions, and found him to be a consummate showman and entertainer. I can only surmise that people who slag his performing abilities have never actually seen him, because I'd rather watch him discuss tax code than watch many "name" performers doing their top stuff. At the last lecture I saw, just last weekend, he spent a good deal of time describing the technical minutiae of a particular experiment's double-blinding procedure to an audience consisting mostly of scientific laymen. Not only did he hold their rapt attention the entire time, but he had them laughing through much of it.

Only once have I seen him perform an effect from the stage. I don't recall all the details, but I remember it involved predicting a spectator's choice of two ESP symbols, I remember it fooled me, and I remember when I asked him about it later, he said it was his own effect and it would remain unpublished. Oh, and I remember the end of his presentation, which was perfect for him: "Now mathematically speaking, what are the chances that he would have chosen the same two symbols that I predicted, and in the same order?" People start throwing out guesses... seven percent, five percent... "No," he said, "the chances are exactly 100 percent. Why? Because it's a trick!!!"
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
892 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
My thoughts are with Randi! He is indeed a GEM of a man!

Paul Pacific
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nice to see the outpouring of support.

Tony no we can not agree to disagree. That is really great when people say that so they can keep a notion out of the norm.

Tony I will never agree that criminal behavior is caused by people trying to stop it. That is the position you are taking. If you wish to revise it then fine.

That position has nothing to do with Randi's health. Needless to say I wish him the best, but trust me a criminal is a criminal.

Much the same way in which you can't cheat an honest man. These are facts both sociological and scientific. You can not make an honest man a criminal no matter how many ways you show him how to do things. Your position is one that is tough to defend and actually I find amazing.

I understand you don't like exposure, but really think it through some before you claim that exposure causes more fakes. It makes no sense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Danny
It does make sense, and I never said that any one thing makes criminals or crime. But it can influence and direct, educate and inform. I am done discussing this. Whether you agree or not, we disagree on some issues.

Now is not the time to continue this discussion. If, his health permits and James Randi is capable of joining in, I'll gladly continue. My participation on this thread is over until such a time.

Tony
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tony again your done discussing once your ideas are out on the table.

I can tell you for a FACT what Randi's position is. He lectured and helped us to learn more about the types of people doing the cons. His position is obvious and has been stated publically many many hundreds of times. It amazes me you feel his position is somehow ambiguous or a secret!

HE EXPOSED CRIMINALS!!! how much more direct evidence do you need of his position.

As I said a criminal is a criminal. YOU treat Randi as if he and his group are. As I have pointed out if you logically extend your arguement, it really is a slippery slope.

PEOPLE are criminals. That is a fact.

I get that you don't like Randi and others exposure of your techniques used to do readings and such, but really if it helps people in the long run then so be it.

Exposure hurts no honest man.

And for Randi's detrators, look at those standing in alliance with him and for how long they have. Then tell me he is the problem.

I don't agree with him on everything, but at least I know one thnig for a fact.

Randi never once created a criminal. PERIOD. and it is offensive to say he did, no matter what his health may or may not be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Danny:
PM time.

Tony
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tony you make public accusations, sorry PM is not the way to clear it up.

YOU said Randi had a hand in creating criminals, defend it or publically retract it.pretty easy really.

No matter what health he is in, it is an unfounded accusation, and disrespectfull.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Quote:
but really if it helps people in the long run then so be it.

isn't this the same argument FOR mediums like John Edward?

The problem with "exposing criminals" is that many Randi followers (perhaps not you, or Randi himself) tend to lump all Readers and believers in the same category: Criminals and their gullible 'victims'.

If Randi can recreate some kind of psychic phenomenon, then by golly it's a con. And that's that. Randi perpetuates this kind of cynical thinking - even if it may not be his intent.

Still, I wish him the best and send positive prayers his way. Whether he buys into it or not.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
If Randi can recreate some kind of psychic phenomenon, then by golly it's a con. And that's that

That is ridiculous,where does he state this? I would imagine if someone could replicate alledged psychic phenomena then Randi would admit such existed.That is the difference between what you say Jim and the real world.But with regard your quote,yes it is,on a single demonstration.
Repeatability is the answer.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm... I now am placing a bet this thread will be longer than the RV master thread....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Quote:
On 2006-02-07 17:56, Harry H wrote:
Quote:
If Randi can recreate some kind of psychic phenomenon, then by golly it's a con. And that's that

That is ridiculous,where does he state this?

Never said he did.

It's the Randi followers out there who throw up JREF links to "prove" that such people are "criminals".

Quote:
That is the difference between what you say Jim and the real world.But with regard your quote,yes it is,on a single demonstration.
Repeatability is the answer.

So your 'real world' is based on scientific data. That's cool, but everybodys 'real world' may be different than yours. Why not respect that?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Jim when you accept money from people grieving on the "premise" that you are talking to the dead and using cold reading techniques, you are a con artist.

This is a fact and it is not in dispute. So lets not get confused.

You are way off by saying he prepetuates this type of thinking.

readers use c+++ r++++++ that is how palmistry is done tarrot cards and so on.

sorry if it offends you guys to be lumped in with cons, BUT it is the risk you take when you try to prey on the same emotions and beliefs people use when using a con. THAT is not our fault.

you may be donig them for "entertainment" and I have no problem with it. but as I said if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, people think it is a duck. even if there are subtle differences.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17682 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Danny
When people decide that under these conditions it would be better to discuss a few things in private. You should let them. Bottom Line. Tony is totally right.
I've read everyone saying the same thing over and over. Only a fool would want to continue this waste of time. I heard Tony say that his congregation would pray for Randi. Seems like that's as much as any of his "Friends" are doing.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » James Randi Interesting post (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL