The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Authority (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Hi Everybody,

I've started doing short parlour shows (10-20 min) as volunteer work at community centres, etc. One of the things I noticed was that when an audience member ws taller then me (i'm 14 and around 5 foot 7), they seemed to be less likely to respect me and my show. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this phenomenon and if so, how to handle it.

Thanks

Gabe Latner
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Hey Gabe,

Your already 14? Good job! Jeez, I was only 12 when I was your age.
(insert rimshot)(boo-doom-boom)

I have also had to deal with your situation before, and I still do. I'm young too and I noticed some people have trouble respecting me.

The key is, DO NOT let it work for them. Keep your cool, do an AWESOME show, never let 'em see you sweat, etc., etc. You may have to earn their respect, but it will be TRUE respect. Not the fake-kind-of-respect they give to these old drueling magicians here at the Café!

Ok, relax fellas, it was just a joke.

Anyway, let your charisma, charm and good humor over-power your physical status. I mean, look at shrimpy Ryan Seacrest of American Idol fame, remember Spudd Webb the minature basketball star who could dunk, keep in mind tiny little Adolph Hitler who...well nevermind that one, he was a jerk.

Take care,
aaron
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I don't think it is your height, or your age. It might be your reaction to the volunteer. Do not make height or age an issue, just do your act. Some people sense fear just like animals. If you choose some one from the audience and they are much taller than you (5'7" is not really short), just say, wow you looked much shorter sitting down. Should get a laugh, and just continue with the effect.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Sometimes when I do shows at senior citizen centers they treat me like I'm a silly young boy. I'm 60 years old.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Earn the respect with your maturity and a quality show. I think thefact that you're volunteering at such a young age speaks volumes. The respect will come ... just hang in there!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Gabe,

I agree it's not your height but your age, that people may be focusing on. After all, you're much taller than I am and I'd like to think I'm the voice of authority!

Seriously speaking, it's always been difficult to gain respect from your peers at that age. Just wow them with your show but don't come across as aloof so as to alienate them. Choose kids younger or those far older than yourself to appear on stage with you.

The best teacher I've ever seen was a tiny woman whom stood 4'11 and commanded her classroom at the inner city school where she taught. When she spoke, she instantly was respected by all, yet there always remained a very caring person that was apparent for all to see. Her height was not a factor at all, except when she needed the attention of the class and sometimes stood on a chair so everyone could see her. :O)

Good luck and it's impressive that you are doing shows at 14! Keep up the good work!

Chrystal
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Thanks everyone,

glatner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Authority (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL