The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bill tube trouble (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GG
View Profile
New user
UK
85 Posts

Profile of GG
Hi
I'm struggling to get the bill into the tube when loading, fumbling around in a pocket, the note just does not like going in there. The only way I can get it in quickly is by placing an elastic band around it, and I'm still fumbling.This is to finish off a small routine I've been working on,produce 3 coins from a pencap,dissapear them, from doug brewers dvd,then pen throu note using the pen, then into burnt and restored in bill tube to finish. also any ideas on the vanish Iwould like to do a burnt restored type with flash paper,so far I'm wrapping it up, rubber band, shuttle pass,gone. Many thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22871 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The rubberband is the standard way to secure the bill. Maybe you have to much stuff in your pocket! If not put a hanky in your pocket to prop up the bill tube. Work on your presentation and come up with some 'patter' to say while you are loading the tube. Talk to your spectators.

Use a flash bill to blend in with your borrowed bill. When I used this method, I only used half a flash bill to conserve on the expense.

Practice!

That's all I can think of to solve your problem.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
If you don't need to carry the bill tube in your pocket, there is another way to load it -- from a table. Although I've never tried it, it seems workable and perhaps easier than loading from a pocket. However, this is more of a parlor setup than a closeup trick.

If you are interested, take a look in George Kaplan's "The Fine Art of Magic" for more details. SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
85 Posts

Profile of GG
Cheers guy's, now knowing that a rubber band is standard that helps alot,I don't know what a flash bill is and can't find any info on them over here in the uk. I've tried playing with flash paper, and part of a fake note wrapped with it but it won't burn safely or constantly, so it's back to the drawing board so to speak, any ideas most welcome.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you can survive a "Bobism" here, while I don't down play the advantage of a rubberband around the bill or note, to me, the best advice I ever got was to turn the bill tube upside down in my pocket and pin enough of the pocket lining over it to hold it in place. It does have to be loose enough to remove the closed tube (which is shorter!) but it will also stop the tube from being a moving target while it is being loaded. (Then it should be easy to pull out of the loop from the bottom by the pad lock for presentation.)

It can be a great trick.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I had that trouble with a bill tube, and I also didn't put a rubber band around it, til I discovered that the problem was the angle I was attacking putting the bill in the tube. I practiced a bit with a smaller angle of attack (more parallel to the tube than I had been using) and it went in just fine every time.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Roll the Bill up. Tight. Or Fold it tight. Tight. (from one end to the other).

I know the bill tube is the right size for a bill simply rolled, but try this, it works.

After you've rolled it, or folded it to a narrow package, FOLD IT IN HALF, so it's even smaller and more compact.

Insert the bill into the gimmick with the POINTY part of the FOLD first. Slips right in, doesn't unroll, and you won't have to worry about the bottom of the bill being trapped in the GIMMICK when it closes.

The only downside is you will need a TWEEZERS to help the spectator get their bill back out, but I'm sure there are more than a few TWEEZER one-liners I haven't thought of yet.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
85 Posts

Profile of GG
Thank's again everybody, now the bill is going in nice,however any good ideas or different way's of vanishing the bill. It would be nice to have the tube on the table all the time maybe, and use a dupplicate note,and just TT vanish ?, anybody? Ijust don't want to carry to many props around. A burnt and restored effect as a finale would be great.
DougRoye
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of DougRoye
The way I do the vanish, is to have a duplicate (wrapped with rubber band) sewn with thread in the middle of a large silk. I place the REAL bill under the silk, palm the REAL bill and bring it out with my hand, and hold up the silk... with the FAKE bill with my other hand. I give this to a spectator to hold.. while I insert the REAL bill into the tube. When Im ready for the vanish... I WHIP the silk away from the spectator, and voila... its GONE! Then.. produce the bill from tube.

Good Luck!
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1965 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I always wished they made a second bill tube compatible with the first bill tube.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
687 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Bought the Ultimate Brass Bill Tube from Trickmaster. Here's my issue. No problems on bill size, rolling etc. But! my tube closes from gravity if I put it in my pocket cap down, which is the way it is easier to load. But I don't want to fidget to raise the gimmick enough to load the bill. I tried a rubber band around the inner tube to keep it open, but that doesn't work, the band gets caught when I try to pull tube out.
I guess I need a solution similar to Bob's reply, but not quite sure how to configure that.

I tried a slight daub of wax.. that almost worked but runs into issues at closing.

I'm considering a tailoring job of sewing in an elastic cord loop in the pocket. to hold the tube open when upside down. That is essentially what Bob suggested but with pocket lining (I think!)

Does anybody else have other suggestions. or experience with such "remedies?"

Phil
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7438 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would make the inner portion slightly out of round so it binds a little to stay open. It will be a little harder to close but it will work.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On May 13, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
I would make the inner portion slightly out of round so it binds a little to stay open. It will be a little harder to close but it will work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a little leery of attempting it though, a goof might ruin it. But for clarity, you mean to maybe gently squeeze the gimmick tube (the one with the window), right?

Phil
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7438 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes. Another option to put small bit of solder on the outer edge of the top of the gimmicked tube. Put it on and then wipe it off while still hot. Very slight build up on the tube. Repeat as necessary.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On May 9, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Bought the Ultimate Brass Bill Tube from Trickmaster. Here's my issue. No problems on bill size, rolling etc. But! my tube closes from gravity if I put it in my pocket cap down, which is the way it is easier to load. But I don't want to fidget to raise the gimmick enough to load the bill. I tried a rubber band around the inner tube to keep it open, but that doesn't work, the band gets caught when I try to pull tube out.
I guess I need a solution similar to Bob's reply, but not quite sure how to configure that.

I tried a slight daub of wax.. that almost worked but runs into issues at closing.

I'm considering a tailoring job of sewing in an elastic cord loop in the pocket. to hold the tube open when upside down. That is essentially what Bob suggested but with pocket lining (I think!)
I wonder if friction fitting a little bit of masking tape may keep the tube open for loading, yet allow it to close easily.

Does anybody else have other suggestions. or experience with such "remedies?"

Phil

Maybe friction fitting with a little masking tape will keep it open, but allow it to close when needed.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks, Richard and Alan.

I think I'll try the solder in the future if I can get someone to do it for me as it will be a long term solution.

In the mean time I tried the tape fix. I applied a short length of cello tape ( < 1 inch) to one side of the inner tube, that is just right to keep it open but not too tight to inhibit closing. It is not a permanent fix as the tape needs to be replaced after a few uses.

Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bill tube trouble (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL