The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Manipulation... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I've started doing manipulation and I am also putting together an show. I was wondering if kids would understand what thimbles are? Also I've heard to not use cards for kids shows (most of the time), but does this apply to manipulation?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
I warm up one of my shows with a .99 super ball and the kids go crazy.

If you sell it, it works fine.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Substitute for the thimbles:

http://tinyurl.com/da7tw

All kids understand this! Search for "finger puppets" at this site and you'll see lots of other types available.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Nice idea but finger puppets don't stack...
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
"Selling" a trick will not help, when it comes to cards and small children.

Bob
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Kids like seeing "things" appear and dissappear, being reproduced from all over the place.
Personaly I use coins and balls for manipulation and I always get great reaction from children of all ages ranging between 3 and 12.
If you do it well (practice practice practice), and add some funny bits like producing from your nose or not seeing it vanish etc then it will be excepted well by the kids.
I don't expect kids to "apreciate" skill level of manipulation just like juggling because to them it "looks easy", not "skillfull". But if it's fun and entertaining then go for it.

Enjoy,
Dani
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I use cards for kid shows all the time, they totally get it. I am talking about k-5 here. I use cards for a warm up. They love it if you can spring the deck, do diminishing deck, boomerang card, vanish etc.
Cards are common, and familiar! Thimble are unkown, yet still look cool!
Arthur Atsma
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
Quote:
On 2006-02-03 01:29, Wellington wrote:
"Selling" a trick will not help, when it comes to cards and small children.

Bob

Really?

Define what we are doing with the cards?

Bruce Postgate in a VERY old childrens book makes the point that "juggling" with the cards (fans, turnovers on the arm, etc) is effective for children.

I thought he was crazy.... until I tried it.

When I did magic birthday parties, I began to open with it and it went over HUGE. You see, they know they would drop them. I then went into Karrell Fox's "card readers glasses" (ALWAYS use the two of hearts as a force card for children), using the "look don't see idea", and that too was always a hit.

So, again, selling is the key. Knowing what you are selling all the more so.....
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Jeremy:

I don't think you really need to look for anything else - most adults don't really know what those things on your fingers are. But, I don't think it really matters as long as it's visual and magical. The kids will like how you got those "things" to appear, disappear, and multiply on your fingers.

I've done card manipulation for kids in the past, and it goes over well as long as you watch your angles, etc - standard for doing manipulation for any audience. Kindergardeners know what cards are - they see other kids playing games like Crazy Eights, etc. As Mtripp says, they know they'll drop them if they tried it.

Ron
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Thank you all for your help!
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
I use Fakini manip balls and I use the hot pink balls. Wow kids love it. They were all oohhing and uhhhing over the effect. Today was the first show I presented the material and I am going to for sure use it again. Its all about visual effects.

Peace
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
Quote:
On 2006-02-04 22:09, Isaiah wrote:
I use Fakini manip balls and I use the hot pink balls. Wow kids love it. They were all oohhing and uhhhing over the effect. Today was the first show I presented the material and I am going to for sure use it again. Its all about visual effects.

Peace

I used to use them too....

...until I found those .99 cent super balls I got at Crackerbarrel work just as well, and cost a lot less!
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
Well that's great and dandy if they are cheaper but what do you do about the secret ball????
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
Quote:
On 2006-02-05 09:45, Isaiah wrote:
Well that's great and dandy if they are cheaper but what do you do about the secret ball????

Truth? I never use it!

With kids sitting all about, I found out fairly quickly that the "special" one could be seen from places.

So, I do things that do not require it.

I bounce it about, catch it on my two fingers and do the roll down, toss it into the air a few times, and it vanishes. I look for it, turn around, and it is back on top of my fist but I don't notice it until the kids tell me, I look down and act suprised to see it there....

...you get the idea. I can post it all if anyone would like.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Manipulation... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL