The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Bannon routine? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2879 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Tattoo You, Heart of the City, Play it Straight, Fat City, Twilight Zone Assembly, and the reverse matrix with 2 cards in Impossiblia. And others.
I j
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I love so many...The ones that I perform the most are:
-Stranger's Gallery
-Play-It-Straight Triumph
-Fat City
-Degrees of Freedom
-Tattoo You (don't really perform this one for laymen, but I love the concept)
~joeKing
TheFortitude
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of TheFortitude
Wow, a lot of people have named "Play it Straight Triumph." I've seen Michael Ammar do it on one of the volumes of Easy to Master Card Miracles, but I didn't think it'd be that strong on the spectators. Wouldn't they be able to figure it out quite easily?
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I actually used "Play It Straight Triumph" to a couple yesterday, and as expected, the reactions were huge. The girl giggled in delight while the guy had the look of disbelief and laughter overcame him. It certainly fooled them and was a highlight for me.
silverzer0
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of silverzer0
I'll be receiving "Dear Mr. Fantasy" this afternoon. Can't wait to learn some of these routines! Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4860 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I searched for John Bannon on google and found this web:
http://www.johnbannonmagic.com/
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1503 Posts

Profile of Cain
-Play it Straight (Triumph)
-Heart of the City
-Vicious Rumors
-Trait Secrets
-Final Verdict
-Dead Reckoning
-Last Man Standing

However, my favorite of all is probably Beyond Fabulous. The Mark of the Fabulous variation is also strong.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
1971 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Detour DeForce
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Tattoo you
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2879 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Quote:
On 2006-08-20 18:36, TheFortitude wrote:
Wow, a lot of people have named "Play it Straight Triumph." I've seen Michael Ammar do it on one of the volumes of Easy to Master Card Miracles, but I didn't think it'd be that strong on the spectators. Wouldn't they be able to figure it out quite easily?

How would they be able to figure it out?
I j
Vaderbreath
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Vaderbreath
I love Degrees of Freedom. I've performed it numerous times and it simply blows people away. As far as the comment about it not being effective to non-poker players...well, it's not necessarily set up for a poker hand, but merely finding one particular suit. The first time I did it, it freaked me out so much I threw my cards.

-Corey
TheFortitude
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of TheFortitude
Quote:
On 2006-08-24 13:24, fonda57 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-20 18:36, TheFortitude wrote:

The first time I saw it I got it. The cards are shuffled together, undoubtedly face up into face down. At the end, the spades (or whatever suit) was the only suit reversed. I guess for me, the method hit me right away, being a magician. I perform for a lot of smart people, so I tend to avoid routines that are virtually self-working. Play it Straight Triumph does appeal to me, but I'm afraid that the method will be too transparent.

-David

How would they be able to figure it out?
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
255 Posts

Profile of Shikina
There's nothing better than people who've never performed a routine declaring that the method is far too easy for a lay audience to discern. I have performed Play It Straight for ten years and not only have I never had an audience figure it out, I have seen this effect hit people harder than any other trick I perform. Remember that
1) audiences don't understand the principles behind Triumph routines
2) their selection seems ultra-fair
3) magicians are required to have some acting abilities if they want to "sell" a routine

I haven't seen Michael Ammar perform this effect, though I tend to find his performance style to be pretty dull. For that matter, John Bannon doesn't exactly exude charisma, but this routine is a knockout, and if you judge it before you ever perform it, than you will have pleased a lot of other magicians.
SPINE
View Profile
New user
Chicago
87 Posts

Profile of SPINE
Quote:
On 2006-08-21 01:12, silverzer0 wrote:
I'll be receiving "Dear Mr. Fantasy" this afternoon. Can't wait to learn some of these routines! Smile

I got it this week and am liking it!!
Card Ruse
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2879 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Got to agree with Shikina on all counts.
I j
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2879 Posts

Profile of fonda57
And I'd like to add that just because something is self working doesn't mean it is not magical to a lay audience. And just because something involves some extraordinary difficult sleight of hand doesn't mean it will look magical. Its up to the performer.
I j
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
1971 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I have been learning Lessons are extra.
What a nice effect.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
Play It Straight
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Last Man Standing.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Okay, above I listed several tricks from "Dear Mr. Fantasy" as my favorite Bannons and said I couldn't find anything I liked as much from "Smoke and Mirrors" (which I bought second). Based on everyone above I learned and performed "Tattoo You," which killed. "That one looked like real magic," my wife said. So add that to my list.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Bannon routine? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL