We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Bannon routine? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Actually, reading back through this thread makes you realise what a clever old so-and-so John Bannon is! I mean, we can all take things for granted can't we when we, individually, may perform the odd JB effect. ("Sisters" and "Freedom" for me.) But I looked back over the posts in this thread and realised that there were no less than 34 brilliant effects mentioned. I'm not going to exhaust the list again, but the "Top Ten" were:

1. Play it Straight Triumph 26
2. Timely Departure 13
3. Twisted Sisters 10
4. Degrees of Freedom 8
4. Power of Poker 8
4. Dead Reckoning 8
7. Last Man Standing 7
8. Tattoo You 6
8. Heart of the City 6
10.Final Verdict 5
10.Beyond Fabulous 5

Actually that's eleven, but you cant leave out either of the last two Smile

Personally, that leaves me wondering what on earth I've been missing out on with "Play it Straight Triumph" - like one member said here, I wasn't that too amazed by it - but I'm sure gonna revisit it now.

And this guy's a lawyer? Does he actually do any work? Smile
markhsmith
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of markhsmith
My favourites are:
Play it Straight Triumph and Twisted Sisters.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Is Play it Straight Triumph the effect where the ace through king of clubs are the face up cards at the end, with the selection being the missing card?

Was that in his lecture notes?
AllanH
View Profile
New user
Norway
14 Posts

Profile of AllanH
Beyond Fabulous for me. I do that one quite a lot, very nice. In fact, I like most of the routines from DMF. But BF is my fav.
Ximines
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
154 Posts

Profile of Ximines
Power of Poker is incredible. I nominate it for 'best impromptu trick with beer-stained cards handed to you in a bar.'
Glen Guldbeck
View Profile
New user
Leesburg, VA
81 Posts

Profile of Glen Guldbeck
Nathan,

I'm not sure if "Play It Straight Triumph" was in his lecture notes but it can be found in Impossibilia. And yes, that is the effect you described in your post.

Stranger's Gallery gets my vote for best routine that I use regularly for the lay folk.

GG
johnnyimpossible
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha, Ne
243 Posts

Profile of johnnyimpossible
Twisted sisters devastates, but you know I agree that just about all of his material is very strong.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Quote:
On 2006-09-17 11:53, scorch wrote:
Yeah, I can't imagine anybody under the age of forty who would even remember Crocodile Dundee lines. That's kind of embarassing.

I'm 20, and I got it Smile
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
I don't understand that Wait until dark (Bannon's version of S Aronson Shufflebored). One of the greatest effect you can have with a deck (even better with a mem deck).
Smile Smile Smile
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I love Chop2 and Bannon's presentation.
Frank
Marcus001
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Marcus001
May I ask how you guys get on with the 'Heart of the City' effect, published in Smoke and Mirrors? Is the response you get a strong one. I infer that perhaps it isn't, as there is little mention of this effect within the thread. The key switch (from Marlo) looks good enough when performed fluidly, but do you find that your audience thinks it's just "too perfect", that the signed card comes out of the envelope. Do you think they quickly infer that it must have been switched. I've learned this routine but haven't audience tested yet and was wondering if I could learn from the experience of others. I'd be grateful for your views.

Marcus
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1613 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I did it once and found it to be "too perfect" and never tried it again.
Robert P.
View Profile
Elite user
Kansas
485 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 14:06, Marcus001 wrote:
May I ask how you guys get on with the 'Heart of the City' effect, published in Smoke and Mirrors? Is the response you get a strong one. I infer that perhaps it isn't, as there is little mention of this effect within the thread. The key switch (from Marlo) looks good enough when performed fluidly, but do you find that your audience thinks it's just "too perfect", that the signed card comes out of the envelope. Do you think they quickly infer that it must have been switched. I've learned this routine but haven't audience tested yet and was wondering if I could learn from the experience of others. I'd be grateful for your views.

Marcus

Yeah, I would also like to hear what others think. I've recently gone back and started reading this book and am now working on this effect. I think the effect is wonderful, though I haven't audience tested it yet. I don't have a problem with the effect being too perfect and I agree that the Marlo switch is very convincing. But what I am wondering is how the reaction will be to the first test, when the other three queens are revealed. But so far I really like it. Bannon is awesome and I really enjoy his way of thinking about magic.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Erm, Heart of the city. I've done it once and got a great reaction, but I think it seemed too perfect .... for me.

Obviously the effect can be done by producing the card from the box, rather than an envelope, and that makes it look more natural.

I think the Marlo move (as well as the envelope) is a mild turn off ... for us magicians, but probably not for the spectator.

It is one of those effects I keep meaning to perform, but then forget and go straight into the old favorites.
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
Dead Reckoning and Timely Departure.

There's another sandwich effect from DMF where he apparantly faro-ed the 2 Kings to sandwiched the selected card. My eyes nearly popped out when I tried that..This effect also got me learning the FARO Shuffle.

Alvin
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Zing82, the effect is called Dawn Patrol. I also was completely startled by the effect when I first saw it. It's quick and to the point. I don't believe this trick can be reconsturcted by the spectators.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1502 Posts

Profile of Cain
I think Dawn Patrol is more impressive to magicians than lay people. I think a stronger effect, for a lay person, involves the classic action of putting the selection smack dab in the center, riffling down the side of the pack and "catching" the chosen card with the two sandwich cards.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Strangers Gallery
Play it Straight (Triumph) Smile
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Jason234
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Jason234
My favorite is Dead Reckoning. I use a modification of his presentation, so it works a little better for me.

Regardless, the trick and presentation is so cleverly constructed, and equally amazing to the spectators.
panimen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of panimen
Quote:
On 2006-12-08 01:59, Cain wrote:
I think Dawn Patrol is more impressive to magicians than lay people.

Dawn Patrol is indeed impressive to magicians, but by varying it slightly, it can be impressive to lay people as well. I mentioned this in another thread. After the faro shuffle, rather than spreading the cards and displaying the sandwiched selection, you can do Joshua Jay's ribbon spread hideout move. In that way, you can show that there is no card yet in between the sandwich cards, square up the deck, and ask for the name of the selection. The spectators still believe that since the selection procedure was very fair, there is no way you can possibly control their card. For this reason, you can spread the cards again and display that their selection has suddenly been sandwiched even though you did nothing. Dawn Patrol is my favourite John Bannon effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite Bannon routine? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL