The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Card Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I haven’t seen anyone talking about card productions, so I thought I’d start a thread.

What are your favourite moves and routines? Do you like single productions, or do you produce fans too? What do you guys do?

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
the magic mercat
View Profile
New user
Under the sea.
21 Posts

Profile of the magic mercat
Single productions, split fans, anything that makes the hands
bleed......Ummmmm ......PAIN........ Smile
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
The single and split fan productions are great, but I try not to focus on these classic techniques. Perfect production, snap & interlock are funny and effective too.
I also like the one Jeff did on his WGM card act: shooting the cards from one hand to the other simultaneously and catching them.
I tried some variations on this, like above your head (needs a few more years of practice, though).

One more thing: Remember, there’s only one front hand split fan technique (by Bobby Baxter). It has numerous disadvantages, so last year I came up with a completely new technique with the following benefits. You can open your fingers between the productions, you always grab the cards in the same manner (i.e. back of the hand pointing sideways, not downward) and it’s extremely quick and clean. That’s my current favorite.

Anyone ever come up with his own technique? What about sharing these (via email)?

Yours in better magic,

Christof
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Christof,

Interesting technique. It sounds like a tin-ki (sp?) split fan I came up with. I'd love to gab about this stuff via email. Drop me a note anytime.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
semianimus...

It's Tenkai Smile

--Andi
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Right.
I have just started getting into this stuff and absolutely ADORE it.
I got the McBride trilogy about a week ago and I haven't stopped practicing since I got it.

But I need some help.
I need to know where I can find good manipulator's cards.
McBride mentions that his favourite brand is the Crusador brand.
He also mentions 'B' brand decks and steamboat decks being very good for manipulation.
(All I have at the minute are Bikes, which are hopeless for back palming)

I also need a decent card clip and some clips for body loading (which Hank Lee sells at $4 a pop, they must be cheaper somewhere else...?)

Any info people can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Bee backs can usually be bought at grocery stores, but if you can't find them there, or on the net, there's an advertisement for buying them in bulk in most magic magazines. It's that little black and white advertisement that sells rider backs and a few other cards as well. If you want actual manipulation cards, go to Daytona magic on the net. I just got some Murphy's and they're great. Daytona sells Murphy, Chen, Nielson and both Marvey decks (the best selection and price I've seen). The Marvey decks are very cool too in some ways, but all around I prefer Murphy's.

Sable
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Get Peter Marvy's manipulation cards, they are the best I have ever seen - he makes 2 brands a thin set of cards and the extra thin cards - the extra thin one's are about 1/3 the size of a normal deck of cards. The cards have flesh coloured edges so allowances can be made if you can't keep your fingers closed, the rest of the back of the cards are covered in a cool kinda dark colour that enables you to do open hand card productions, Peter Marvy is the master at open hand card productions.
The dealer ad's say the thin ones are good for single card productions and the extra thin ones are best for fan productions - but I've found the extra thin ones are excellent for both.
The only problem I have with them is that the pips are not on all four corners, unlike some of the other brands of Manip cards. Four corner pips enable you to do left hand fan productions as well as right hand without too much practice.

Good Luck!!
tony parx
View Profile
New user
u.k North east
3 Posts

Profile of tony parx
Hello!
Sorry to disagree with the last message on Marvey's cards, but they are all rubbish. You won't even see him use them! Smile

Use normal plastic coated cards and work them in and put fanning powder on, for bare hands, try beige, brown or black edged cards, can't be seen. but then you already know that! Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I love the Marvey cards. You must handle them very gently as they're extremely thin, but the fact that you can pack so many in makes them well worth it. The Murphy's work best for me all around though. They aren't quite as thin, but I also don't have to be quite as ginger with them.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
That's a great help.
Thanks to everyone.
Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I just use Bee brand. Well-broken-in, and I don't bother powdering for production work. For any kind of fan flourishing it might be nice, but not mandatory. For a full routine I use about two decks worth of cards that I just carry out as one jumbo stack.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4070 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Hey Gonz, go back through your tapes & see what Jeff suggests to use for clips. As I recall they are a type of paper clip(Ideal?)

Good luck.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I have a very simple routine I do right now where I do several split fans, followed by some single productions, (occasionally I'll throw in a pivot) and I finish it by pulling them out of my mouth. I'm trying to jazz this up a little more, with some snap productions and maybe some front hand splits (once I learn them). The move I want to learn most is card spinning. This kid showed me how to do it, and I had it going really good for about 5 minutes, but the next day it suddenly stopped working. The cards refuse to obey me! I say "spin!" and they just fall to the floor. Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Ich,
Yes, you use those weird little clips that hold papers together. They don't look like regular paper clips though. They're big and shaped kind of like a big V, but not, but kind of sort of. You know what I mean. Smile

Geoff,
What kind of card spinning?

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Card spinning where you hold a pack like your almost ready to fan it, but you flick the card in 'c' with your thumb and it shoots up and out in a spin. I've gotten a little better at it since I posted that, its definitely a knack.. I just haven't mastered it.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
in 'c'?
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
CardConjurer
View Profile
Loyal user
South Florida
202 Posts

Profile of CardConjurer
Perfect production and snap poductions are my favorties.. I do split fans and single backpalms too.

I have Marvey's cards but the single production kind...I should get the extra thin as well.

The clips Jeff McBride was talkin bout were somethin like ack #2 clips or something. I'll visit Office Depot and find out.
I like cards.
Haas04
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Haas04
wikiro-look in McBride's Volume 3 for more on Card spinning.

Christof- I'm very interested in the WGM McBride Flick move you were talking about. I tried to figure it out, but had no success. I don't have any personal productions persay, but would still love to chat with you via email. haasman04@yahoo.com

Also, does anyone know the knack of bouncing card????? McBride ended that way, and it blew me away. I tried it out, but stopped after creasing 5 corners of cards. hehehe. Email me if you want to discuss.

Chris
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Any other fans here of Marco Tendo's (?) rolling card production? I'm nowhere near expert at it, not really being a card manipulator, but it's fun to practice and satisfying when it works.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Card Productions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL