The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building deceptive base...what material to use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
That's my base I had for sale.....I still have but it is not for sale anymore we are adding it back into the show. It holds 2 assistants and it has the s******x trap. I am currently working on a new base that I think everyone will love!
GlassMagicCo
View Profile
New user
Midland, TX
11 Posts

Profile of GlassMagicCo
One very huge trade secret I didn't see mentioned as far as building materials go is called MDO board (medium density overlay). It is a choice alternative to any application that would use plywood. MDO is available in different thicknesses and even colors. The finish is smooth as glass and as stated already colored. The nice thing is that even minor scratches don’t take the color away because it is permeated in the board. True it is somewhat more expensive but well, well worth the difference in cost. This applies even to smaller boxes such as in a take apart dove vanish or whatever. Incidentally, most of the big highway signs you see that most of us think are metal are actually made of MDO, for whatever that’s worth.
I hope this helps!
optimystik
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of optimystik
Rand Woodbury's video set will help immensely.
Stephen
Rytter
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Rytter
In Rand Woodburys video he uses sheetmetal for the bottom of the base, but he don't mention anything about material or thickness.

Could anyone be helpfull of those issues ??
matt-g
View Profile
New user
Essex. England
79 Posts

Profile of matt-g
Glad you asked that I'm after the same info. It's the only thing holding me back on completing my steps. Anyone able to help on this?

Matt
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Here's a link to the material that I prefer for the bottom plate in concealment bases. It's light, very strong, and won't "oil can" during use.

http://www.alcancompositesusa.com/produc......aac51170

There are a few tricks to using it for base plates.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Somebody mentioned a doll house, so do not forget Dennis Lomis's amazing dvd on building his doll house. It is sooo much more info than just the doll house. It's a lesson in illusion design and use in general. Also, Mr. Loomis's base is terrific and is completely shown and he teaches how to build the base (as well as the rest of the illusion of course).

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
I must say, after looking at the large image you gave BRodgers, that looks SO nice. I think your signature should now read this...

"...I just saved a BUNCH of money on my ILLUSION SHOW by switching to HOME BUILDING!"

Very Nice apparatus. If you were to build one for someone. Have you set a price you would charge?
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Quote:
On 2007-09-20 04:00, AnthonyMaze wrote:
I must say, after looking at the large image you gave BRodgers, that looks SO nice. I think your signature should now read this...

"...I just saved a BUNCH of money on my ILLUSION SHOW by switching to HOME BUILDING!"

Very Nice apparatus. If you were to build one for someone. Have you set a price you would charge?

Thanks a lot for the comments Anthony. I have built a few for other magicians, but the price was never the same, due to the fact that they all needed different sizes.

Depending on size, price is usually based on cost of materials. If you'd be interested in one, shoot me a PM.

Thanks again,
Brian Rodgers
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Do someone think that a Rand Woodbury's base would work with a Dekolta Chair?
Dare to Dream...
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
I can't see whi ti couldn't...David Copperfield did it with a base...just doesn't fit in.
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
371 Posts

Profile of chill
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 06:55, Rytter wrote:
In Rand Woodburys video he uses sheetmetal for the bottom of the base, but he don't mention anything about material or thickness.

Could anyone be helpfull of those issues ??

Quote:
On 2007-09-16 11:07, matt-g wrote:
Glad you asked that I'm after the same info. It's the only thing holding me back on completing my steps. Anyone able to help on this?

Matt

I have used both 20 and 26 gauge sheet metal for bases. the 26 will sag some when you load it, use this gain to thin your base. none will notice the sag as long as you follow previous advice and cover it in black.

Quote:
On 2007-09-16 15:20, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Here's a link to the material that I prefer for the bottom plate in concealment bases. It's light, very strong, and won't "oil can" during use.

http://www.alcancompositesusa.com/produc......aac51170

There are a few tricks to using it for base plates.

TW

please share
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
Looks like fantastic material to me, great info here guys, soak it up!

John
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I think BRoger made the coolest deceptive base that I ever seen!
Dare to Dream...
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Ok heres a good quesiton, that is not covered in a lot of Base Books, and in Woodburys videos. What is the best angle to cut your bevles at. I cut a base at 45 degree angle bevel, and it looked retarded. Second, do you round your bevles to take away the strong line from the angle, or just cut a street angle?
making the unreal, real...really!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Your angles should be as long as possible.

I think you have to remember the performing conditions you are working in. Angle bases were developed for varying conditions. One set of angles may not suit all performing venues. An extreme example could be a center ring circus illusion act. Nearly all views are from above, the under top angle could be VERY extreme in a case like this. With the top of the base being near flat.

Looking up at the base, the reverse is true. "Thin" bases in profile are not actually that deceptive. I have several J. Gaughan older fiber glass bases, where as they move from the edges (of the base) round up at more extreme angles.

Angles can even differ as your base gets closer to the stage level also ie. thin sawing, versus sword box, versus stack of boxes.

So a suggestion from me re. angles would be to make up a mock-up of a wedge and look at it from different angles, and bear in mind where you will be performing that particular illusion.

Blair
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
CCPCris,

Blair is correct. A base should never be viewed edge-on if possible, and the angle depends on the conditions where the illusion will be performed. The Loomis Dollhouse DVD (which I highly recommend) briefly goes into this as well- if the base will be above eye-level to the audience, the angle should be on top. If it's below eye-level to the audience, it should be on the bottom. There's also a compromise for when you'll be performing in both conditions- angles at both top and bottom, though it's less deceptive.

Most base designs I've looked at use 20-30 degree angles, but it really depends on the overall size of the base and how it's used. Also, most angled bases are combined with stepped bases to significantly improve the psychological impact. I would recommend checking out Eric Van Duzer's "The Seven Basic Secrets of Illusion Design", which has an in-depth chapter on base design, complete with extra info on what makes these bases so effective psychologically.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Alan Wakeling was also a master of step, and angled base combinations.

B
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
What do you do when the audience DOES see it directly from the front, and is not above/below?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Pray that someone doesn't yell out "she's in the base!!!" LOL

Or....."look at that funny table!!"

Seriously though, it would also depend if you control the lighting. A properly covered bases' lower section will "disappear", no matter how severe the angle, with good lighting control.

B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building deceptive base...what material to use? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL