We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One-handed Retention of Vision Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8880 Posts

Profile of Mb217
See Craig, I told you, that you were in the right neighborhood. Smile Yet another great inventor, like Mickey Silver, charges you onward. What else do you need to hear. Smile

-MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Thanks Micky and MB17:

I was a little down after that information. I was beginning to feel like it was impossible to create something of your own.

I will continue in my quest to improve this sleight and work it into a routine. If you have any suggestions on what would be the next logical step, please let me know. I have one idea already.

Thanks

Craigg
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Craig, I have seen that approach used most effectively with a ball holding a wand in the other hand.

There is no point in trying to be "original". What you need is simply to find things that work for you. Some choose to explore the library trying everything they find in books. Others start from impulse and feels right and find things that feel comfortable and seem to work from experience. Both approaches have their advantages.

You can leave the research and crediting till you feel compelled to share your discoveries. Compelled? Yes, if you find something so amazing and never seen before that you feel it would help out the rest of the community and be worth living through the vetting process... then it's worth it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Jon:

I was not compelled to create this clip and broadcast it to the world. I had worked on this privately and after I came up with something I thought looked half good, I saw the triple dare category on the Café. I posted it there and you asked for a video clip.

I never intended it to be a vetting process. But now that it is, I'm asking the Café if they have any ideas on the next step in building a routine around this sleight. I already have one idea...

Thanks

Craig
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm going to step back from the vetting.
For me, abrupt actions bring out the worst.
Also for me, they seem to attract attention to an action that I'd usually like to be invisible or quickly forgotten in the flow of a routine. So I will have to step back from a critique of the thing as well.

When I was 25 years younger I could do abrupt stuff and it seemed to work for me. Now I have to let that stuff go by and hope others can help find deceptive and magical applications for it.

Best to you, it and all who pick up this challenge.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4183 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hey Craig,
I haven't seen the clip of your move, but keep in mind these things:

1. No one has exclusive rights on inventing, so keep trying to do things that work best for you, whether they are yours or not. And if something comes up that is original be proud of it! Its your Baby! Look to find applications that can be used with it, and if nothing comes up, store it away until you come up with a use for it!'

2. Sam Schwartz gave me this bit of advice when I was young, and developed something that was orignated actually 30 years beforehand by someone else. He told me that if I develop something on my own that might not be original, be proud! Many times people starting with the same idea will come up with duplicate ideas, and there is no shame to come up with something on your own, even if someone else developed it first (as long as you can credit it properly to the originator). Know that sooner or later if you keep trying, you will come up with something that is all yours.

Good luck!
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Craig,
I just watched your demo... and I like it very much. Yes there are similarities to to other ideas. but so what... I have never seen anyone perform your technique as you did it.

For example the flying shuttle is similar to a pitch which is similar to a striking vanish... but they are all used in different ways... as you have used your technique in a different way.

Another example the Han Pein Chen is used by most however I have never seen anyone use what I call the Gosh Pein Chen......

Craig there are many variations for a retention vanish or the classic pass
that others have improved on..

I will be practicing your technique and I love the fact you are using both hands....

the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jesse Reign
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Jesse Reign
Greg,
Can you put a link in here so we can see a preview.
"An Artists Canvas is only limited by the Pallete they use."

-Jesse Reign
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
CP-
Saw your demos. And while there are distinct similarities to all of the sleights mentions above (T. Nelson Downs, strike vanish, Sylvester Pitch, and to some that have yet to be mentioned), I think this is a brilliant "discovery."

We are all constantly reinventing—without always being conscious of it—other conjurers' ideas. while I agree with some of the comments above about "abrupt" actions, I do believe that these types of moves, under proper motivation and context can be incredibly powerful.

If you haven't read up on the DW strike vanish, see if you can find some video of it, it is very magical and deceptive. Mostly because it makes "sense." the larger action of the wand, stick, pen covers the slight jerk of the hand holding the coin. I believe, with a little motivation, your OHROV vanish could appear more even.

On that note, Watch your "receiving" hand. You don't want it to appear that it is doing anything other than gesturing, Research into the DW strike vanish and the Sylvester Pitch will help with those subtleties. I look forward to seeing this evolve.

The devil is in the details.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Craig,

Thanks for spending me the video. that's a real eye opener, I can imagine the effect it has on non magicians who don't know such skills exist.

I must also give you a big "attaboy" for doing it with both hands. My coin skills
are far below yours so I can't be of much help other than to encourage your efforts.

Thanks for your time in sharing the effect.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Thanks for the demo! It looks good in your hands. (Whenever I attempt that type of move it leaves a trail like a comet.) Nice job!
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
880 Posts

Profile of nique
Hey Craig,

Thanks for sending me the videos. The move does look pretty good in your hands, and as mentioned in the previous posts, while it does build on similar ideas like the striking vanish and such, I don't think I've seen anything like this before.

The closest thing is something a friend of mine showed me where he takes up the same starting position as you then does a muscle pass instead (this is seen from above).

Great job! Smile
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
The vanish looked bold, and " I didn't think you could actually get away with that" kinda feel. At least when I saw it.

It looked pretty good.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Let me say this: If you are doing this walk-around and your hands and body are in constant motion, then this vanish will be invisible IMO.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8880 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Craig,

Thought I posted here about the video, but I don't see it, so I guess not huh???

Anyway, thanks for sending me the video, I enjoyed it. It works well in your hands. It is a somewhat "bold" move, but I agree with Vinny in if you do it within the frame of body movement or turning it could work rather well.

I did think of Williamson's "Striking Vanish" when I saw it, as he also does it with an "invisible" wand many times.... In that way especially, it sorta comes across pretty much as what you're doing here. However, I don't see this as a Sylvester Pitch thing.

The Pitch is for something else, to me and I use it all the time, *a variation of it at least (I'm not sure, but my "variation/modification" might be a new thing too - gotta check that with someone here Smile.

In the pitch, you usually do not show the coin in the left hand. In your presenation the coin is shown there from the beginning. To me, it's along the lines of the Striking Vanish, but I see it more as a sort of "variation" maybe on that idea of instantaneously vanishing a coin. I think you can do some good things with what you've come up with here, keep at it, perhaps there's something else hidden to be found in all this, as really it is in all things. Thanks again for sharing. Good shoot! Smile
-MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
After I saw your video I could see that it looks kind of like something I was creating but I stopped working on it.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
JokersWild: Why did you stop working on it?

Craig
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
Marion my man, it sure is bold but let me tell you folks, just as the Godfather said it, with the motions and all, it just hits them (spectators) BOOM POW!!!

My teenage, daughter knows magic as she started very young, but after practicing Craig's OHROV for hours to a level I'm very comfortable with it, I showed it to her and she was in AWE!!!!

Craig, the closest thing I can remember to the OHROV was done with multiple coins where in coins are counted by dropping them one at a time from one hand to another but have none in the end. Seeing it happen with one coin was really refreshing! I can see so many possibilities with your OHROV! I just want to thank you again for sharing.

All the best Craig!

Your friend,

Rannie

PS just an idea...
Perhaps the action of reaching for the spectators hand to waive over the closed fist could be enough motivation for the receiving hand to come within the area.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Rannie:

Thanks for your kind remarks. It is something you have to practice with the timing and with the opposite hand. I PM'ed you some of the things I was working on as this developed.

I'm now working on a routine to "highlight" this slight and will let you know my progress. Hopefully, this will also contain something "different" then what you have seen.

I also thank you for your suggestion. I will try this to see how it works. I'm working on reducing the movement in the hands and making it more natural.

As you know from working with this to the point you are comfortable with it, it can be done regardless of angles.

Thanks for your support and for trying this!

Your friend,
Craig
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
Craig,

Mickey said it best, do NOT let anyone stop you from creating. The more you create the easier it gets. It doesn't get easy, just easier. I saw your clip and enjoyed it very much, and thank you for sending it to me. I enjoyed it and think it's pretty creative, very visual. It is similar to a few other sleights, but it's not other sleights, it is something that you developed and it better suits your style. How many different types of spellbound changes are out there? MANY. So, if people stopped creating because someone created something similar we would only have very limited sleights and/or routines. What I suggest is continue with your sleight and develop some routines with it and then those routines will be yours. Of course, like the good doctor said, properly credit your inspiratins, influences, and those with similar ideas. Let this spark develop into a flame and I know you'll take it to hire ground. Thanks again for sharing. Cheers my friend.

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One-handed Retention of Vision Vanish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL