The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Kennedy Mentalism" new book soon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Okay, I was going to keep quiet and have been advised to do so by so many of my friends and associates. They are wiser than me so maybe I should have taken their advice.

At the risk of damaging my image as a “nice guy” I am going to tell some truths. I feel this way, by telling people as it is I can be seen as someone who is up front and honest. Something I pride myself in.

The work I put out is not full of dreams or theoretical concoctions. No, instead I am one of the few people who has written down real stuff that I have used in the real world. I would not, will not and have not released anything which I have not used in the real world. The way I see this is that if I haven’t tried it and seen that it really does play for real people then how can I assess the value of such a piece. As mentioned by countless people who have kindly taken the time to contact me public ally, privately by email phone and letter the tiny nuances I describe in each and every effect are things one can only learn from performing these pieces in the real world for real people, regularly.

When it comes to originality I have to say that there are very few 100% original methods out there. Think about the similarities between my routine Subliminal Summer and Andy Nyman’s amazing Killer Elite (yes, I’ve checked it out now), with all the respect in the world, Mr Nyman was not the first, nor will he be the last to put together a routine which uses this tried and tested method. I can think of a dozen other routines by a dozen other creators and performers which employ this amazing method. Of course since I am the new kid on the block that means that I can be tarnished with some brush that some more established and recognised performers don’t. I am an easy target…the latest one apparently.

If we look at mentalism in its skeletal form there are but a few methods at our disposal, it is about how we employ those methods that we care about.

If you are looking for a book which contains 100% new methods…I think you are looking for something that doesn’t exist. If you are looking for new approaches, presentations and thoughts on mentalism then there is a wealth of knowledge at your disposal.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Quote:
On 2006-02-04 10:16, Mesaboogie wrote:
Andrew, you remind me of a certain Daniel Young who also gave honest reviews on the Café but is, alas, no longer here because of it.

He's a welcomed additioned at I place I can't mention here.

Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
Techniques such as multiple ---s of course have existed for years and years. Read my post again about how your subliminal summer routine is almost a carbon copy not of method but of overall effect. To say you had never heard of Killer Elite is a little thin as you seem to have views on practically every product out there (Not a bad thing.) If your routine had and I am repeating myself here an introduction saying this is based on another post card effect using multiple ---s called Killer Elite then fair play, but you don't you claim never to have heard of Killer Elite and was told afterwards about the simularities..

I and others don't buy it, that discredits your book in my opinion, as do many of the other effects that are very close to the original effects out there. Anyone can write up an effect and claim ignorance about whether it existed before, it is the professionals who create enough of a variation to release it or to get permission to release something that maybe close to existing routines.

I know Andy and he would not have given you permission as Killer Elite pro was due out, also he has said that at no point did he get even an email informing him you were about to release a book with essentially his effect in.

In terms of you being the new kid on the block that has nothing to do with whether I like or dislike your work, I have posted positive feedback about your book as well as my views on what makes it not so good.

I couldn't care less if you had been in the business for 20 years with 10 series on television. I have my views about Osterlinds ODDS surely he can't be called a new kid on the block? My points raised are valid and believe me I have had a lot of pms from people saying they completely understand my points.

I wish you well Kennedy, I really do. But I purchased your Book and have views on it and opinions about how simular some of the routines are compared to existing routines that have been well established.

Pleae don't insult my inteligence by doing the "I'm new and an easy target" routine, my posts and comments are not malicious they have points that I am allowed to voice. Once you put something out in the public domain it is up for any comment as long as those comments good or bad are made with thought.

I hated the spice girls and thought they were talentless bimbos in skirts but I'd get millions who loved them telling me I'm wrong, well I still think their talentless bimbos in skirts but thankfully past their sell by date.

Does that make me wrong? does it make the millions wrong? Niether we all have artistic preferences, ethics, religions and views on the world. My views are clearly stated about your work for no other reason than reading your work and forming that opinion.

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I agree with kenenedy killer elite is a great trick. I look forward to reding it.

Criss
I am Adam, Prince of Eternia
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi.

If Andy Nyman has an issue with me releasing this then I will sort it out with him directly. At the end of the day I released it in good faith as I thought (and still think) it has value to illustrate logical multiple outs. I love Andy's thinking and would not go along and do anything to show any disrespect for his work willingly or otherwise. I will not deal with this in a public forum with a third party.

Andrew, you are absolutly entitled to your opinion. I just find it interesting that you quickly jump to conclusions that everyone is out to ripp others off. when in fact the only reason I released any of it was to try and share some ideas to maybe progess this stuff.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Kennedy,

I don't for one minute think everyone is out to rip off everyone else, far from it.

This is about your book and what I made of it, some nice ideas, thinking but many of the routines for me seemed too simular to others I have read in the past. Subliminal Summer was one such routine that to me and some others thought was a straight copy of Andy's Killer Elite..

I don't think Andy has any issue with you Kennedy, but I for one know Andy wouldn't give permission.. I doubt he even knows of your books existence. My point is not to defend his products, to be honest that's his business. My point and views that I have expressed as clearly as possibly is about borrowing from others without prior conscent. It just shows a lack of professionalism.

Also I feel many here are not well read so instantly give you credit for creating these things which you have not. They then jump to your defence in ignorance..

I have no interest in what you release Kennedy just as long as you do it the right way and don't stand on the shoulders of giants excepting accolades from arm chair mentalists.

As mentioned I know Morely Budden very well, he created that dual reality routine years ago and has held on to it for many years since. Simply putting "Apparently this is like Morely Buddens" after your effect is not quite enough..

Your intentions for releasing a book may have something to do with sharing but let's be honest there was also a lot of ego attached to that as well. Osterlind, Banachek, Maven, Cassidy have really done the rounds with their material, years and in some cases decades before releasing it. It was not about ego at all, it just felt like the right time. With you it feels in my opinion that you seek some kind of accolade, if you are as good as you think you are it will come with time and performing for real people, your show was not good Kennedy, it lacked so much, this is where your mind should be set unless you want to forge a career as a mentalism effect producer. A business card and a website does not make you as good as you wish you could be. Focus on your performance, people are paying money to see you, do this and then once you have something that really needs to be said then share it.

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

An interesting segment from Kennedy's website..

"There are oh so many professional "borrowers" in ‘show business’ who seem to get away with it regardless of what they are doing, which is basic bold headed thievery. It is the same of copy cats , people who literally see something and copy it. This happens a lot in comedy and magic. Comedians have been known to take gags from others and magicians have taken routines and things form others and used them in their acts. That doesn’t make you clever or big…no no it doesn’t it makes you stupid, so stupid in fact that you cant come up with your own ideas…furthermore you can even pay someone else (a professional) to come up with them for you.

So here, ladies and gentlemen is my analogy of copying. Who is the better magician? The one who copies or the one who creates, develops and devotes time to a new piece? Magic is an art form, as is comedy, it takes artistic skill and flair to be successful. My friend and fellow magician Liam Gilbert is a pianist. He plays a wonderful piece of Mozart. Although Gilbert is playing it, its still Mozart’s Symphony! If I could draw (and believe me - I can’t) and I take that famous Mona Lisa and copy it precisely, it is STILL Devinci’s Mona Lisa…COPIED by Kennedy."

Hhhmmm.. Not only does he borrow he denounces those that do..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Well ,I first started this thread to know about the specific routines in Kennedy's
book.

I think I also started ...a fire...
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I am attempting to purchase Kennedy's book at his site but it is not working. Also while Kennedy's book is listed on Alakazam's site in the UK, it is not listed for sale at its US site.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Surely the fact that I am so against this "borrowing" as I call it in my blog should illustrate the fact that my work has value.

We are having problems with my website at the moment regarding the purchase pages...anyone who wants the direct link please pm me.

Kennedy

Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Or Kennedy it shows a certain double standard in your views.. Be against those that copy but claim innocence when you do it. Your statement in your Blog completely underlines what I have been saying about YOU..

Just back down whilst you have an ounce of dignity left, go write another book (once you gone through 13 steps again.) There are two types of people that would deal with the allegations I have made, one would admit that effects have been borrowed whilst the other would continue to dig themselves into a hole which yiou have done..

You are an intelligent chap Kennedy, read your blog again and then read all of my posts in this topic..
Can you honestly say with your hand on your heart that you don't understand the points I make?
Can you honestly say that many readers of your book will not look at what has been said and actually put two and two together?

Andy Nyman on his Get Nyman DVD has a routine that is literally Sneak Thief, he went to enormous lengths to get hold of Becker and get permission.. Where as you feel just mentioning a name is enough along with "Oh just found out the routine I created 10 years ago which I don't perform is close to an idea by ......"

Your knowledge for a 21 year old is good, but your attempts at profesionalism reflect your young years..

The work in your book does have value it's just that you didn't really create much of it..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
Come on Andrew enough of the witch hunt your getting quite personal.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2006-02-07 06:15, D.Paul wrote:

That is subjective. I haven't read the book so I cannot pass comment, but it is interesting to read the debate and wonder. Are the routines in the book simply variations on existing themes or does it contain original work? Andrew says it is a rehash, Kennedy says that nothing is 100% original these days. Very interesting stuff. It also shows that you have to be prepared if you put your head over the parapet to get it shot at; you have to admire Kennedy for putting the effort in at least, I guess.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I just purchased Kennedy's book, "Thoughts so Far" at Cafépress.com/mindofkennedy. I look forward in reading it. I am sure I will learn a lot of strong, practical mentalism that has actually been used before a real paying audience. I have heard that there is a strong coin bending effect in the book entitled "Cold Bending" where a coin bends in the spectator's hands without the performer touching the coin. It is always exciting to read a real working professional's new routines and twists and refinements on already used themes.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 08:43, Andrew Richmond wrote:
I hated the spice girls and thought they were talentless bimbos in skirts but I'd get millions who loved them telling me I'm wrong, well I still think their talentless bimbos in skirts but thankfully past their sell by date.

You are incorrect in your assertion that the Spice girls were "talentless bimbos in skirts."

Sporty Spice wore jogging trousers.
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
D.Paul writes: "Come on Andrew enough of the witch hunt your getting quite personal."
In your opinion...

My opinion differs:

This started with an honest review of a book written by someone who apparently made a legitimate attempt at writing a good book on a topic he is passionate about. Andrew then tried to back his review with what he believes to be facts.

I personally think that the review by Andrew was a fair one and I believe he deserves credit for bringing a different point of view than the rest of the posted views. Like MarkyMark states, it’s good to have a good range of opinions. This is what the Café is for.

To Andrew’s further defense, I also picked up a few things in Kennedy’s book that I have seen elsewhere before. For example, Kennedy describes an item that is identical to Barrie Richardson’s Any Card at Any Number. Kennedy even credits Barrie Richardson. If his routine was identical to Richardson’s why did he choose to print it? That’s beyond me. Since he mentions Mr. Richardson in the credit of that particular item, it’s difficult to believe he didn’t know that it was a perfect duplicate.

For the most part, I enjoyed Kennedy’s book. His enthusiasm for mentalism is obvious. I enjoyed reading about his thought process BUT, as a reader, I must admit I ended up being annoyed, to say the least, on a number of occasions when I saw items that were identical to other published items. To me this is not so much a question of ethics but a realization that he might be slightly too… eager to publish any stuff for… whatever reason. Thus, it makes me question his enthusiasm about the rest of his material. I am sure that, as an author and creator, that is not Kennedy’s end goal.

All that being said, I am looking forward to more of Kennedy’s work. I liked the energy I sensed through his words.

My advice to Kennedy, for what it’s worth (you’ve never heard of me and probably never will), would be to simply thank all those who took the time to read your book and all those who took the time to write a review, especially those who may seem critical of your work. Do your best to address their concerns in your next book while still remaing true to yourself....

Jean-Luc

P.S. I know neither Kennedy nor Andrew…
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-07 06:15, D.Paul wrote:

A witch hunt is targeted at innocent women labeled witches.. I am passing comment on a book I have read from cover to cover. A witch hunt as you would call it would regarless of content or the authors rationale I would go in hammer and tongs to discredit him. That is a witch hunt.

The issues I have raised are legitimate concerns about other peoples work, Kennedy has responded to this with half baked responses that really do not address what I have said.

I credit the book with having some good ideas and being useful to the enthusiast.

I wonder D.Paul how you would feel if someone took a routine you had created and put it out as his own? I doubt that day will come but think about it. Anyone can go though their collections of books and revamp routines with nothing more than calling it another name just like that magic company who pirated everyone and sold the effects as their own.

When they do it and sell it for profit practically everyone on this site went for them in one way or another..
Which I must add is the right thing to do.. How dare they take other peoples work and sell it as their own at a cheaper price. I would NOT put Kennedy in this category but he isn't far from it..

We all see DVDs and books with ideas based on others which is fine as we and our creations evolve, BUT it is done with a code of conduct, a mutual respect for fellow creators.

Kennedy has side lined this code of conduct and in his eagerness to get a book out has piled routines together many of which truly belong to others. That is my point of posting, not a witch hunt as you call it.

Why am I an arse for passing comment? Kennedy has not addressed a single issue, he just comes back with but my book does have value, I have done the routines, why are you picking on me? I am not picking on anyone, I gave Kennedy some legitimate advice about his career in this field, trust me if I didn't like him I would not offer advice.

And although he took offence to it, my commenting on him being 'A nice chap' is genuine, I have read many of his posts and he has great enthusiasm. But that does not take away from what I found when I read his book.

And to be honest it drives me crazy when people who are not very well read in this field say things like "Kennedy has a great drawing dupe in his book." this then gives the impression Kennedy created it and he didn't.

The problem is some here really know their stuff, whilst others believe to be a knowledgable practioner of the art all you need to do is read the latest books and buy the latest effects.. If you claim to really know (which many here do) make sure you REALLY do know.

I find Max Maven to be a little annoying but one thing can be said for the man, he knows who, what and where many of his effects come from in fine detail. If you love something enough then do it justice.

Simply crediting people as possibly creating something simular or making excuses about having never seen this effect or that effect is not good enough. The creators deserve more than that.
Kennedy failed to do this in his book which shows his eagerness and unprofessionalsim.

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I don't understand is kenedy a bad person for copying?

Criss
I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I end up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
Quote:
On 2006-02-08 08:51, Chris Jones wrote:
I don't understand is kenedy a bad person for copying?

Criss

I suppose that would depend on whether you would call selling other's work with a minor repackaging as your own as being bad. Seriously though, I personally don't think Kennedy is a bad person. Immature and slightly misguided maybe but as Andrew says, his enthusiasm for mentalism is evident and that's always to be commended.
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Kennedy is not a bad person at all, he does however need to address the issues raised if he intends to release other material. The book in question is barely a year old and he is already talking about another book release.

Is this a case of making a quick buck? Surely this 21 year old man doesn't expect us to believe he has used every routine in his few years of performing?

Andy Leviss is another young performer who released a book called Ramblings & Revelations, now whilst I think much of what he wrote was misguided they were his thoughts about the art. Kennedy asks us to believe he has been performing for some time as a mind reader and the routines we are purchasing are tried and tested from his working performances. I find this to require a stretch of the imagination as when I did see him perform he used nothing from his book or Tell Tale Factor that sales blurb reads like the Holy Grail.

If you are releasing a book make sure most of it is your own or at the very least get permission from those you have borrowed or been inspired by and secondly if it is a book of ideas don't tell us every routine has been audience tested.

Bob Cassidy's recent book is full of over twenty years of being in the business, he credits many others who he actually knows, the routines show evolution quite a few have been updated in the book. If you have any interest in Mentalism and Mind Reading read 13 steps, Mind Myth & Magick, Practical Mental Magic, Prism, Artful Mentalism, Maximum Entertainment, Mind & Magic Of Berglas.. These books are steeped in tried and tested routines, years of trial and error and are creations from the creators not reworded variations by a newbie.

Kennedy has potential but is not quite where he thinks he is. The radio clips on his website also show a lack of maturity in performance also.

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Kennedy Mentalism" new book soon (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL