The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Jumbo Appearing Wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SmallCheeto
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
115 Posts

Profile of SmallCheeto
Hi Guys,
My friend who's a magician said you can make an appearing 6FT wand from the covers of shower rods. They fit over the rod, They don't telescope. You just buy the cover, and roll it up in theory.... has anyone ever done this, and does it work as well as it sounds?
Magically,
Matthew Toner
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Yes, it works perfectly well, if you are OK with a one color wand... Black or white etc. There are ways of covering them but you'll have fun trying. In any case the pair I bought at Linens and Things, (one black one white) work great, and I paid $2 each
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
SmallCheeto
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
115 Posts

Profile of SmallCheeto
Wait... so it came with 2 rod covers?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
No No... I bought two. The price was so low, and I was not sure which whould suit me better. The white one was not really useful, the black one just looked better. I did not bother to try to whiten the tips to make it wand like. From the audience perspective, it works fine.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
You can apply white or black contact paper to the tips. Some hardware stores sell it by the foot or yard. Sticks quite well.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Cascade88
View Profile
Regular user
Sam 104
109 Posts

Profile of Cascade88
Yes KylethGreat told me about this they work well. I have to buy some contact paper but they come out fine.

-thank you
"Once is magic Twice is education."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Yes they work and if you cut them to the size of normal wands, you have multiplying wands that fit inside of each other.
Dennis Michael
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Use fluorescent light covers...they are 7.5- 8 ft long...you can cover them with mylar or vinyl and they stay more rigid and aren't as loud when they "appear"...

Bryan
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
I was think about making one with the 4 ft fluorescent tube safety covers. I even bought one a while back; they are cheap. I also thought about doing a 4 ft appearing straw with one. Contact paper would take care of color. Either straight-cut or spiral should work.
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
3M stuto striping tape comes in chrome or colors and may be better for this although I haven't used it for this. The chrome may be good for tips.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I had a sign shop cut vinyl for mine... They did two of my poles...they now look like they are solid metal as both appear to be chrome....
SmallCheeto
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
115 Posts

Profile of SmallCheeto
UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

Well, I ordered the rod cover, and it came promptly. I only paid $1.61, from Bed Bath & Beyond and they didn't even charge for shipping. Well, I tried painting the tips, but the paint just chipped when I tried to roll the rod up. Next, I'll try White electrician's tape. As for the production, I use a small Pringle's can with a slot cut in the side, and place the "device" in a small box. KILLER REACTION!!
Magically,
Matthew Toner Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2772 Posts

Profile of John Long
Can someone tell me what I need to ask for? Just shower rod covers?? Are they sold separately, or with the shower rod?

Thanks
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Hi John,
They are sold separately, and are just called shower rod covers. They're available at most home decorating stores, WalMart, etc. Look for the shower curtains and shower rods, and they are usually right in that section. Best of luck, Jeff
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2772 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks all

I just went to Home Depot. They didn't know what I was asking for, but we eventually found some 4' clear covers, no 8'. Less than $2 ea.

Now, what is the best way to make these look like something solid? Some have suggested mylar or vinyl contact paper? Is there a type of paint that won't crack when these are rolled up? and where is a good place to get this?

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
Sherwin-Williams makes a spray paint that sticks to plastic. It works great. I am not sure if it is flexible enough to withstand rolling up but its worth a try . . .
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1617 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I made 1 with a 4" fluorescent tube cover and painted with spray paint for plastics that I bought in HD. Works ok, the paint job was not excellent but from 2 meters apart you can not tell any imperfection.
Pablo
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I'd have to recommentd the viynal. Mine still look brand new. I've been able to find a viynal with a stainless steel textured look; as well as, diamond steel. I think it would really look sharp! I haven't had any problem with the viynal peeling of or cracking. It looks great... No complaints here... I think you would save yourself from a lot of hassle in the long-run...

-Bryan Gilles
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2772 Posts

Profile of John Long
Bryan

Is "viynal" a brand name, or did you mean vinyl?

If the latter, then vinyl what? paint, contact paper...

and who carries it?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
My commercial-version appearing wand and appearing pencil are covered in coloured adhesive vinyl.

You will find vinyl contact paper at some plastic shops, but mostly at sign shops. I've bought a roll or two from my local sign shop for various projects, plus they are great people to know for other projects (they can make table signs, show signs, small signs and specialty cards for tricks, etc.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Jumbo Appearing Wand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL