The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Production and vanish base (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
The looks? Sorry, but I have seen an almost identical unit on stage in the 80s and have built a unit like that, allthough diferent color, in early nineties.

But like said before, if the unit has features unheard of before, then it is original; let us know if it is so.
Sent from my Typewriter
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
I got the unit....i will keep it but not living up to the hype. For starters I should have asked for the size first...my fault. This was not a good build job. The builder of this illusion must have had something wrong with him/her poor job. I am in my shop now rebuilding another base the way I believe working pro's would want it to function. I should be done in a week or so and I will post pics of my unit. This is not original, maybe the young magician that I bought it from thought it was but its not an original design and sloppy work putting it together. Magicland I don't mean to be harsh but the 1st illusion I ever built was 50x better. Do not use that builder again that person should not be allowed to build illusions!
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2006-04-27 00:56, Lusion wrote:
Magicland I don't mean to be harsh but the 1st illusion I ever built was 50x better. Do not use that builder again that person should not be allowed to build illusions!

Sounds like the base is a real piece of junk. There's a lot of "magicians" who fool themselves by thinking that they know how to build a quality prop. If fact most of the homemade stuff I've seen is no where near deceptive and it looks horrible. I work for my family's cabinet business, have studied woodworking for about 10 years, and still find it challenging to build an illusion.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Well I wont say junk, but I wont put it in my show, I will show pix of the base I am building when it is done so and compare them side to side without exposing the simple secret.
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
This is exactly why I've started ignoring the "Unknown Builder" pages at Magic Auction. Best of luck with the re-build.

Keith Jozsef
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
WOW, This is just like most things you buy in magic. The Hype is much better then the item!

We magicians (for the most part) are always looking for that ONE thing that we think will make us stand out. We all have wasted money and time on stuff that we find we couldn't use.

The real magic is in the HYPE. Hype is the snake and oil cons of today that fools magicians out of their money.

Our young friend has learned a $2000 lesson in life and magic. My first major lesson was a $2000 hype many years ago with a levitation that was a piece of junk.

But, rest assured, that our young friend will be wiser and has learned that things are not always as they seem. After all, we are all about smoke and mirrors. LOL
It is unfortunate that a few of us use smoke and mirrors when dealing with other magicians.

Best,
Ray Noble
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
A Café' user called me last year to order a Fire Cage, but he was concerned my work wasn't well known to him. I could tell by talking to him he was a professional and not "just shopping" so I told him: "If after you receive the Fire Cage you don't think the workmanship is up to your standards, ship it back and I will refund ALL your money including shipping" You see I wasn't worried he would send it back and he has since ordered and received a Konundrum Kube as well.
I've been on the receiving end of the HYPE so I know how hard it is to trust in this business. I don't know of any other builders that will do this but sometimes you must "earn" the customers trust.

Jack
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Yes its a trust thing and you want to try and stay with a certain builder, but you also want something different.
Keith, let me take that back...it could be labeled as junk because the state that it is in I cant re-build it, its better to start from scratch.....it will only cost me about $200 to get the materials. I realized too late that the seller is actually 14 years old......but I found that out here after reading post. I will post picks of the bad job of the base, the person that put it together clearly has no wood working skills WHAT SO ever!
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
As for design rights....magicland you don't have any rights this is a base with a simple principle that you can find in many illusion books. If you come to the IBM Conference in Miami you will see what a production base is suppose to look like and function like.
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
Lusion, I am sorry that you feel this way. The builder did a excellent job on some other work of mine. It IS usable in a show. Trust me, I have done lots of stage shows using this. Every time I use it, I get a great reaction. Lusion the prop is basic, but it's built to last. I've used it a lot and it still looks great. Sorry it was not customized to your needs but it's worked wonders for me. You just need to be a little creative. Sorry it does'nt work for YOUR show.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I wonder if it would work for my show? HMMMMM. No, I do not think that it would.

I went to Jack Murray web site and must say that this is what illusions are meant to look like!

As in life it always comes down to money. If a deal seems to good then maybe it isn't such a good deal.

Ray
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Creative....LOL dear Magicland I have been performing before you was born. You have a lot to learn. When I post the pix of the base you will actually know what props should NOT look like. I own 2 Bill Smith Illusions, 2 Owne Redwine Illusions, John Gaughan, as well as many others that I have had placed. when a prop has a gap on one end which is 4mm wide and as it goes to the otherside it grows to 6mm....that is POOR craftmanship no if ands or doubts about it. As I said its really not your fault, as we all know what is great to someone with no experience/minor does not constitute good for a working Pro. If you think I am getting at you I really don't want it to seem that way I just hope that you can see the fact that the base was poorly made...you use electric tape for a design!!! CMON!!! LOL....let me go take some pix
collectorofillusions
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of collectorofillusions
Hello I am new here.... I to also have been collecting illuions , books and props for many, many years... that "so called base" is found here... http://www.magicpropshop.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page25.html

They also have the worst looking blammo box I have seen up for sale... need a good laugh look here at the blammo box http://www.magicpropshop.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page3.html
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Quote:
On 2006-04-28 10:57, collectorofillusions wrote:
Hello I am new here.... I to also have been collecting illuions , books and props for many, many years... that "so called base" is found here... http://www.magicpropshop.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page25.html

As I said before, that is a different base. The one you link to is built by this company, but the "so-called base" referenced earlier was built by someone else, and sold on the Magic Auction. Since it was sold, there are no pictures of it to be had (unless someone saved them to their hard drive). They are two separate things.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I did'nt use electical tape the builder did. btw I do have some awsome looking props. I've had other pro's marvel at it. C'mon 2mm! you must have a lot of time on your hands to figure things like that out. Besides the It's what the crownd thinks is what matters not the magicians.
theater rental - $500
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2006-04-28 16:40, magicleland wrote:
I did'nt use electical tape the builder did. btw I do have some awsome looking props. I've had other pro's marvel at it. C'mon 2mm! you must have a lot of time on your hands to figure things like that out. Besides the It's what the crownd thinks is what matters not the magicians.

I was hoping that you would learn something from this experience, but it seems you have not. I guess that I have to remember that you are 14 and got taken advantage of. Why would you use a prop that the builder used electrical tape on? Lusion said it was a 4-6mm gap and not 2mm as you say. If the cabinets that I build had gaps like that then nobody would be buying them.
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
Yes I have learned from this. I will not buy from this builder agian.
theater rental - $500
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Magiciceland,
DO you have a website besides your blog? ? ? ? ?

cheers
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I am working on a site. But for now my focus is on the show.
theater rental - $500
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Hollaaaaaa at da man.....LOL I love this site! Keeps me entertained everytime!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Production and vanish base (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL