The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire eating torches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magiGlen
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magiGlen
Good morrow and salutations,
I perform fire eating in my act with my home made torches. Often I notice that the kevlar thread is looser than it was before. So what I was wondering is where I could buy fire eating torches online. I don't like the torches where the material at the end is rather large, I like the smaller ended torches. Thanks.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You need to make your own torches, if you're particular about their size and shape. Use the Kevlar thread, as it lasts for so long.

When you've wrapped the head about the size and shape you want it, be sure to have a couple of feet of thread left. Thread it onto a needle, and weave it in and out of the shape you made. It'll tighten the whole thing up. For the last few inches, sew it all the way through the head, a couple of times, and then cut it off. That way, there are no loose ends.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Slim’s Red Head Torches
These torches are made strictly for the professional. The “red head” is cosmetic.
When I first started making these about 30 years ago, the purpose was to make an all purpose torch without compromise. They are made to look like they belong to a professional, with very long lives. The red head is meant to make the torches always look fresh and ready to be a suitable prop for any show. The handles are rosewood, brass bound and can be removed to cut the torches to a length that suits the user. The staffs are brass and the heads are intentionally absorbent to keep them usable for all of the moves a fire eater might do. Included is material to recover the torches and genuine gold wire to finish binding the head They are only sold in sets of three so a full act can be done. The torches do not contain any synthetic materials so there is no dangerous melting possible. Slim’s torches are becoming collectors items, which makes me very proud. A set will cost $75.00 plus $5.00 to offset shipping and handling costs. I agree, the price is high, but due to the materials and time involved it is necessary…
Slim Price

Note: These torches are very absorbent. This is to allow squeezing of fluid onto the tongue and hands for the many moves you will be able to do with them ... At first, I suggest you only briefly dip the torches in your fluid, so as not to wet then excessively … Using these torches will not keep you from being burned.

The torches are made overlong, so they can be cut to a length to suit the user. Just remove the handle, cut to your length, and tap the handle back on the shaft… At this stage I will only take orders paid for by money order, sent to:
Jerry Pickard/Slim Price
General Delivery
Quartzsite AZ

(928)927-4499
<sanscan@tds.net>
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Slim gave me one of his torches, not that I use fire or anything. I was thrilled and honored that he did this for me. I don't know much about fire manupulation, but I do know when I see a hand made piece worthy of admiration when I see one. Being a metalworker and blacksmith by hobby, I enjoy seeing one's handiwork. It'w well worth the price, I advise you buy as many as you can.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Thanks Nipps, Your praise means a lot!
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
magiGlen
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magiGlen
Well Slim, I'm not the handy man so I will consider your offer. They sound like a quality piece of magic. Just a few questions. The set includes two torches only correct? How long do they come originally without being sized? Thanks.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
They are only sold in sets of three...
Approximately 18 1/2" over all. The heads will not slip off the shafts. The heads are about 2" long and a little less than 1" Dia. If you are used to Kevlar these will work very different. If you know the pass that allows you to pull the torch out of the flame these are perfect. These are not for beginners.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Slim,
how long would it take you to make a set?
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
They take about 2 days to make.

jennieprice
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Thanks jennie.
Blog:
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magiGlen
With my torches it seems that the metal gets very hot, What would be the recommended metal to use? and how big should the diametre be?
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Approximately 18 1/2" over all. The heads will not slip off the shafts. The heads are about 2" long and a little less than 1" Dia. If you are used to Kevlar these will work very different. If you know the pass that allows you to pull the torch out of the flame these are perfect. These are not for beginners.
Slim

I use brass shafts...Sounds like you are having me make your torches... You are probably self taught. Get a TEACHER!
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

magiGlen
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magiGlen
Slim, I would be very happy if I could find a mentor enar me. I live in the Windsor Ontario, Detroit area. Would you have any connections? Thanks.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Excellent torches from Paul Bohanna Ceramics on ebay - designed not to burn the eater. I just recieved one from him and am about to order 5 more.
Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
Jennie are you still making/selling the torches? and if so how much?
Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
Plasticdestiny what is ebay ID for Paul Bohanna Ceramics?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2006-08-18 19:10, plasticdestiny wrote:
Excellent torches from Paul Bohanna Ceramics on ebay - designed not to burn the eater. I just recieved one from him and am about to order 5 more.

You HAVE to be JOKING!

I torch that won't burn the user!!!!

Just THINK about what you wrote, fire that won't burn?

This Bohanna guy should be put away for making claims like that!

And plasticdestiny, you must be insane to believe him.

Jeeze, no wonder other countries don't like us.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
Quote:
On 2006-08-18 22:16, Burntcircuit wrote:
Jennie are you still making/selling the torches? and if so how much?

Sadly, I'm not making the torches. I know how, and no doubt can, but it won't be the same as Slim making them.
OT,the last set that Slim made has been given to a friend of ours here in town. Paul Weiner, known locally as The Naked Guy, owns the book store and he's making a small memorial with them.

Jennie (mrs Slim)
Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
I assume the torches that don't burn is refering to the ceramic part, any metal will heat up quickly unlike ceramics. Yes we know fire always burns but I wonder what new tricks might be possible w/ a ceramic torch
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Brett - you mustn't speed read - I didn't say not burn - I said - not burn the eater - the torches minimize the use of metal so there is less heat being held in the implement - as for other countries not liking us - you appear to be American, Bohanna is in the UK and I'm in Australia - so I'm not quite sure who 'us' is.

I have been eating fire on stage for 30 years and this is the best stick I've ever had.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire eating torches (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL