The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bathing A Dove? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys... I just want to know if my dove would be Ok to be bathed...

I know that you just have to fill up a Cooking Pan with luke-warm water, and place your dove on the edge of the pan... The only thing is that my dove is about 2-4 months old, and I live here in NJ where it is kinda cold outside... It's very nice on the inside (heated and all), and also in my room where he is kept...

I would just like some help on this subject from the pros (you guys ;-) ) so that I don't get him sick or anything...

All the help I could get on this would be very appreciated!
-Vinnie
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
The temperature should never be high to make the dove cold. Also, you want to avoid drafts. I spray mist my doves with a bottle of water 2-3 times per week. That's all that's necessary. The water dish I provide is large enough for them to get wet if tey need to (I have never seen them in there though).

Hope this helps!

Haas
Oh..the temperature should never be too low I mean!! Sorry for the typo!

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks for the help... But how about me bathing my dove? Too young?

-Vinnie
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Just spray mist your dove with a bottle of water like what Haas said. They'll do the rest of the preening themselves.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hey there Vlaraway - There is really no need for you to bathe the dove. The dove will bathe himself. As mentioned, a spray bottle will be just fine (They will left their wings in the air when you spray). My doves have a water bowl in there cages, and they drink first, then, climb in and swish around for a while to bathe themselves - Its kind of funny to watch them take turns getting in- (that 's why is necessary to change the water all the time *smile*) They will bathe if they want to, but if not, then they won't. The one major thing you want to avoid is getting the dove too wet because a breeze could endanger his health as mentioned. The dove will clean himself don't worry *smile* hope that helps a little
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Doves can certainly handle this job for themselves. They also enjoy it. I do agree that avoiding drafts isn't a bad idea. However, water temperature never seems to matter to my doves.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
One last caveat. Do not use soap! I'm sure people have tried.

Hey Vinnie, how's training going by the way? Any more progress videos to post?

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Use no chemicals! That includes soap. Remember that doves drink the same water they bath in!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5153 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, doves love the water. When I had my birds in the basement, I used to put a large dish of water on the floor of the aviary and then sat back to watch. It was like going to a public pool and watching the kids. The doves all gathered around the lip of the dish and then jumped in. They splashed, raised their wings and generally had fun. When they were finished, they flew back up to their perch and preened themselves. I always had a sun lamp in the room and made sure it was on during the pool visit. Of course right afterwards, I removed the dish. I did that once a week for years.

Now that they are outside, I just use the spray method as mentioned above. Since you only have one bird, you might want to give the pool method a try. At the plant store, get a large dish used to put under potted plants. They come in various sizes. Get a nice sized one. Put about 2 inches of water in the dish. It doesn't have to be warmed water. Water from you kitchen faucet is fine especially if the temperature in the room is warm. The water will cool the bird as well as wash it.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-05 00:41, KobiHasOneEye wrote:
Hey Vinnie, how's training going by the way? Any more progress videos to post?

Haas

Haas, Thanks for being interested... I've been a little busy with school and all over the past week or two, and havent really had a chance to shoot a video... Today I have to write a paper, and that's it; so I may just shoot a few video's for ya'll to munch on Smile ... I do have a few new things that Jack and I have been working on to show to you guys...

Dave, That sounds so nice! I know that a lot of people here mist their dove(s), and I know that some let them roll around in a bowl of water, but I have been asking the same question constantly,(please do not take this the wrong way) and it has yet to be answered... The question: Being that my dove is the age that he is (2-4 months), is it Ok if I do the pool bathing meathod as said by Dave, or will this increase the chances of him becoming sick? The reason I would like to do the Pool meathod rather than the misting is because (as Dave said), it is very fun for the dove(s), and very entertaining for us to watch... Please let me know the answer...

Thanks!
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5153 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinnie, I don't think there is just one answer. Misting is fine and I use it myself. The pool bathing is also good. As we all mentioned in another thread, your dove is older than 2-4 months. That's not a bad thing, you just got the wrong information from the person who sold the bird. In any case, regardless of the age, the pool method is fine. Your bird is living on it's own, meaning it feeds itself, flies around and can stand up. Standing is the most important thing. The bird will stand in the water, flap it's wings and take a bath. It won't roll around in the water. Remember, it's a bird not a fish.
Where the magic begins
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Just toss him in alongside next time you put the cat in the tub. Smile
Just make sure the bottom isn't smooth so the bird feels secure and won't lose it's footing in whatever type of bowl or bird bath you use.Every bird from budgie to love bird that I have had has prefered to bathe in either the kitchen sink under a fine stream from the tap or most often its drinking dish.
To avoid the bird becoming ill while bathing and until thoroughly dry , keep the bird out of drafts.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I put all seven of my doves into my shower and turn it on luke warm. I leave them in there for a half hour to an hour and keep checking the temp of the water so that it doesn't get cold. They love it so much that half of them fall asleep in there.......

Take care,

Bryan
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Doves do enjoy rain and showers. On the road, mine come to the cage door when the shower is on. They will join you if they can. (Sometimes they get out and find it on their own.) I think doves actually enjoy showbiz.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bathing A Dove? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL