The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your Mentalism Act (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
I am curious on what everybody elses Mentalism acts are like. How many effects you have? What type effects are they? What are some of your own creations? How long is your act? How many acts do you have? How did you combine your effects so your act is fluently connected? I want to know because I'm tring to put together what I've learned into a act and it would help to learn what other person's acts are like. For me I have about 18 things I plan on doing. This is my lay out.

1.)Dangerous monte by Luke Jermay
2.)Chronologue by Bob Cassidy
3.)Chair Prediction by Banachek
4.)Touching on Hoy by Luke Jermay
5.)Add a Number by Banachek
6.)ESP routine with Michael Murray's deck
7.)Radar Deck by Richard Osterlind
8.)Card Calling by Richard Osterlind
9.)Picture Duplication by ideas from Banachek
10.)Manipulation of Perception by Luke Jermay (instead of words I use a picture)
11.)Pk pen by Banachek
12.)Dead and alive test w/pulse stop
-I heard Banachek does something like this but I didn't learn it from him
13.)Pk Touches by Banachek
14.)Key, Fork, and Spoon Bending by Banachek
15.)Blind Foil by Kuffs
16.)Pk writing and time routine by Richard Osterlind, Banachek, and Bob Cassidy
17.)Bizarre Book Test by Ted lesley
18.)Stigmata to Go by Luke Jermay

Any suggestions on how to improve my act would be greatly appreciated and I am opened to any suggestions. Thanks

Joe
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Hmm, I think most mentalists would not want to post their routines publicly. That is a lot of effects, how long do you plan on your show being? Mine is about 45 minutes and I have only 7 effects. I don't know your patter or reasoning but from the list they don't seem to flow or relate very well.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

I just got together the list effects I would want to put together, And put them together The best I could. There were a few I wanted to take out because I knew they didn't flow very well. With whtat you said I think I can make a better flowing act with taking some out.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
That seems like a delightful unthemed, non-linear six hour act.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Alright so I must note to self: Ditch old sucky act and make new one
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I recommend reading Chuck Hickok's books. They may help. I would narrow your focus, and try to create some type of continuity that makes sense. You probably should not do that many effects in one show - you will be up there for way too long. Also, it's obvious that you have not performed yet, perhaps you should rehearse and see what works - get some friends together and put on a show. Or just video tape your self and then watch the tape. That's a start...
good luck - you seem enthusiastic, so this should be a blast 4 you.

Kaylan
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
The kid's only 16 guys so cut him a break ok.
Like everything else at 16 he most likely rushes thru the material and probably would do all these effects in an hour.
I think he needs more guidance with respect to how to perform the material more over what material to perform.

Best,
Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-05 00:01, Sebastian Black wrote:
Like everything else at 16 he most likely rushes thru the material and probably would do all these effects in an hour.

Hey I'm sixteen! Smile
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Alright so you guys see how bad my idea for routining is, so give me some pointers!!
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Well we can't tell you how to do your act but here's some pointers, I'm no expert and am a begginer myself though so I could be wrong. I wouldn't do an act longer than an hour and 15 min, for that amount of time I wouldn't do more than 12 effects, and that is still ALOT. I saw Max Maven do a 2 hour show and he did about 6 effects. Make sure there is variety, don't do all prediction effects. Most importantly (to me) try and be original, not just in the effects but your character, patter, and how you reveal information. These are just a couple of things I'm sure other people will give you great and better pointers too. Just curious, did you recently switch from magic to mentalism?

Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Well Thenightbringer89 You are a genious and I am what you would call mentally retarded. And no I've never performed on stage before but have pulled off many things close-up. I've been watching and reading all the things I have and I want to put them to use but didn't really know how many effects I needed for an act. I do understand that effects like Pk touches and Stigmata to go needs a really convincing and well organized presentation. I do not plan on performing my act until I'm older and have a act that's not a derision.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
I do most of Derren's stuff seen on the gathering and some routines from his series which can fit my act..and some scary routines with seance, automatic writing etc...I like to make clever and 'impossible' stuff instead of mainstream Esp, cards, bending etc...that's boring.
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Now don't get me wrong, I don't copy him, I just see his effects and impacts and do them my way with different patter of course..
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

I understand what your saying Sfarad. Now, I've been into mentalism about a year now because my magic was always being figured out. I moved onto mentalism, and do pk touches, pk time, bending spoons, reading thoughts with much success. I have gone through that dumb depressed stage of my life and decided to not talk much so I can hold a bit of mystery. Now when people see the quiet kid bend metal, do side-show, and other weird stuff, it adds to the effect. I never planned on creating a stage show, that was recent not switching to mentalism.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Cut it down to 6 7 maybe 8 effects. Turn those effects into about a 45 min act. Put a presentation for each effect. You can't be like David Bliane and just say "watch this, look look look". In mentalism it is not so much about the actual effect it is about the presentation behind the effect. I am guessing that you have a DVD from Osterlind, Banachek, Jeremy? If you don't get one and see how they present their material. It will help you at least see what a good mentalism show looks like. Watch how long it takes to do one effect. They don't just stand up there and say check this out and 45 seconds later everyone gives a golf clap.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
By the way. You can still be the somewhat shy perfomer (if that is what you are going for) and expand on each effect.
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

I'm tring to go with the pathological type personality, where people don't know what I'm going to do next. For my act I don't plan to portray this imagine. And I definetly understand not to rush a presentation, I've read it enough times to know this. I too believe that a presentation is what makes the effect. The reason behind so many effects is that I believe I heard that an hour to an hour and a half is idle for an act. I thought that I wouldn't have enough effects to reach within that time range. And yeah I have Psi series, Mind Mysteries, and all of Luke Jermay's books. I guess it's what Scansan told me in the past, "...take the time to reflect. Do you need this? Is it worth it? Does it fit your style? Your show?" This was for glass walking but it goes for putting an act together also.
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

I've been writing thematic essays for my english class and now I need to write one for my act. The theme is what holds the essay together and I had no theme.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Think of each routine as a piece of music, and your entire show as a concert.

Each piece of music must be complete in itself, and should offer variety from the other pieces that make up the concert.

If you were a singer or a musician, you wouldn't play or sing every song that you knew in one concert. You'd look at each piece, see how it fits with others, and what the pieces say about you as a person, then you'd put together what worked best.

Don't try to do to much to begin with. As others have suggested, put a 45 minute performance together with perhaps 5 routines. Perfect that in front of audiences, then slowly add more material. The most you will ever need is 90 minutes worth of material for any one show.

Think about what the audience experiences in each of your effects. try not to repeat the same type of effect too often in your show (predictions, card effects, pk effects, telepathy, design dupes, etc.).

See what works in front of an audience for you in your stage show. If you find a routine isn't working, isn't getting a good reaction, analyse why, and if you can't figure it out, scrap that routine and try something else.

Cheers,

- entity
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2052 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Scattered, you seem like you're on the right track now, but here's something else that might help. Start by looking at the biggest possible picture: What do you want to accomplish with your performance? Put another way, what effect do you want it to have on your audience? Do you want to entertain them? Make them think? Make them question their beliefs? Convince them that you're the Real Thing™? Convince them that, despite appearances, you're not the real thing, and then explore the implications of that? Make them laugh? Make them feel empowered? Freak them out? Make them like you? Make them fear you? As they leave your show, what do you want them to say to each other? What do you want them to think/feel? How do you want them to remember it the next day, or the next year?

Once you've answered those questions, you can start thinking about what sort of character you can realistically portray, through which you can achieve those goals. Then once you've got that figured out, you can start thinking about what kinds of things this character could do to achieve the results you want. And then -- and only then -- should you concern yourself with what methods you'll use to accomplish those things.

If any of the effects you listed end up helping you achieve the desired result within your character, wonderful. If any of them don't, put them aside for now and save them for another time. And if you end up with one or more things you want to do that you don't currently have a method for, then start thinking and experimenting and reading and asking around until you come up with one. But don't include an effect that doesn't help you reach your overall goal just because you think it's good, and don't give up on an effect that would help you reach your goal just because you don't currently have a way to do it.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your Mentalism Act (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL