The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your Mentalism Act (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Renaldi
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
106 Posts

Profile of Renaldi
I think that those wanting to perform professionally should read and re-read Brandon Cross's post. It is bang on.

Renaldi
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
I might echo the suggestion that Bob Cassidy, as well as others have made in several publications. He said,in effect, don't be all things to all people.

What is the over-riding impresison that you want to leave your audidence with?

For me, the KISS formula is worth remembering. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I've found that a good 20-30 minute set will comprise approximately 6 effects,remember, we're not pulling sponge bunnies here, a premise needs to be set as well as a certain level of expectation/beliveability.

Chronologue for example, Cassidy's original routine, rather than the "modern" versions, will serve as a great follow up to a Si Stubbins' card effect with 1-4 people.

A picture / word duplication/ random number revelation can be quite effective if set up right.

The effects you listed on your list are excellent, more so if you are proficent enough to do them in front of an audience, paying or otherwise.

I've found myself over the past few months turning more and more to the "simplistic" effects, I'm now cracking the books open on some "basic" effects using billets. Osterlind and Cumberland have produced some excellent instructional materal on billets, ala Annemann, as well as the Busch books on peaks.

I don't know what level of performance you're at; you could be quite good at it.

I would say that if you are good at 30 effects for example, then chose 6-7 of them that might have some sort of connecting theme with them and then work them into a show.

Keep in mind that your show, unless you do so on purpose, must have some dialogue, so that scripting needs to fit in with the effects.

Don't let anyone rag you about your age. My 16 year old son and 12 year old daughter did a word/picture duplication effect with me in front of over 400+ people at a show last year. No one doubted that what they did was amazing, or unusual.

Good luck!
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
I was given an oppurtunity to do a theater class for my senior year. I plan on it helping a lot with my performance. My English teacher is a published writer and seems to knows things like philosophy, death, politics, conspiracys, theories, pschology, religion, and one time he did some cold reading without even knowing. His class is pretty much a lecture and is really interested in what I do because he heard I could levitate and bend spoons. He called me a fakir and recommeneded some books. Anyways I'm thinking about asking him for some guidance on writing a script. Instead of buying a writer I can just use him.
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
Oh and for chronologue I love the convincers and the fact it is a card effect without cards, unless you choose to use them. I've been thinking about possibly doing some sort of tarot reading and then going into how the deck of cards is actually a calender(tarot). I want things like this into my act but I want to add bits of strange magic("Stigmata to Go" is too bizarre and I now realize it isn't what I need for my act). But I don't think anything can get anymore bizarre than a sponge Bunny routine.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Hey, Elima - hope the link worked for you.

I have a gig coming up in Aviemore for some oil workers - 150 of them - all Norwegian. Noticing that you're from Norway... you couldn't teach me Norwegian within two weeks, could you? It can't be THAT difficult - I understand that 3-year old Norwegian kids speak it fluently!

Drew McAdam
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2006-02-05 00:03, Scattered Dream wrote:
Alright so you guys see how bad my idea for routining is, so give me some pointers!!

While I also recommend Mentalism Incorporated and have heard good things about Maximum Entertainment, I think that the best recommendation for you right now is Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. It can take you from scratch very, very far. Once you use the elements in Strong Magic, I feel that Mentalism Inc is an excellent, EXCELLENT place to move to. However, I really think the way that Strong Magic progresses (everything from pacing to tone to routines and so forth) will be of the most use for you. Your development of a performance persona would do well with this book as well.

Please note there are NO effects in this book. It is more of an application of stage and theater (and writing) axioms to the presentation of magic. As such, it is as useful for a mentalist as it is for a card flinger. Ortiz is a card guy, so many of his examples come from there but the examples have clear applications that you can use to immediately improve both your choice and performance of material. The dicussion of incidental convincers and emotional versus intellectual intelligence alone should be recommended reading. I really don't hear too much about this book in this particular forum, maybe because of Ortiz's rep as a card guy, but just think of reading this book as giving you that much more of an edge over everybody else.

I know you want immediate feedback and tips but reading the book will help you understand that good advice for one person is horrible advice for another. It's the whole teach a man to fish blah blah blah thing.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Definitely recommend maximum Entertainment - good, solid performance advice from somebosy who knows what he is talking about!

Drew McAdam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your Mentalism Act (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL