The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Break-away wand, the Topsy Popsy Wand and other fake, gag and "trick" wands? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
Fraser Gould
View Profile
New user
Tokyo, Japan
97 Posts

Profile of Fraser Gould
May I add to the list the "hammer phone", which is included with Robert Baxt's Cell Phone Surprise?

Now that there's a huge list compiled, what are your favorites (or has that been covered in another thread)?
Fraser Gould
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Dennis, three more wands for you.
- Bone Wand, this is a giant plastic bone painted like a wand. Bought this years back to use with my puppet dog.
- Pen Wand, a wand which opens up to become a pen. i.e. a pen designed like a wand.
- Toilet Brush Wand! I remember reading of this in a description of someone's routine, but no idea who it is credited to. Presumably its a wand at one end and a toilet brush at the other. I imagine that a trick goes wrong and you reverse it, muttering about going back to your old job....
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Also

Silly Surprise Wands (Jozo Bozo)

FanTaStik (like a giant Hot Rod)
Wand to Spoon (Axtell Expressions - part of the Pizza To Go routine - I am not sure if they sell it separately)
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
And we can't forget the latest and greatest addition:

BIGGER WANDS by Creative Magic......
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
The Reel Magic Wand (Wand with an ITR built in)
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=143
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Around 1990 I tutored a Workshop on The Magic Wand for the Nottingham Guild of Magicians. With the aid of 3 others we demonstrated 54 wands and the members were then presented with my list of 121 Wands. This has since increased to 146.
My friend Ian Adair, who was with Supreme Magic Company for 36 years & Edwin's partner for most of them, is currently writing a BOOK--The Magic Wand with illustrations.

He is anxious to find out the NAME of a wand he was given by his old friend--Warren Stevens.
When you hold it upright it is rigid. When you hold it level it bends/droops.

Any names guys. I am sure it is NOT just the old Bendy Wand

Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have more wands than I can use! However, I find myself still wanting more! I love using different wands in my shows, but I try to be careful not to overuse them. I think they are great to add comedy, and using several different types add variety, but I think one has to be careful not to overkill. I probably own more than a dozen different types of these wands, but I tend to only use a certain kind of wand with certain routines, and only a limited number will be in any one show.
Mister Mystery
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 10:20, ALLEN TIPTON wrote:
Around 1990 I tutored a Workshop on The Magic Wand for the Nottingham Guild of Magicians. With the aid of 3 others we demonstrated 54 wands and the members were then presented with my list of 121 Wands. This has since increased to 146.
My friend Ian Adair, who was with Supreme Magic Company for 36 years & Edwin's partner for most of them, is currently writing a BOOK--The Magic Wand with illustrations.

He is anxious to find out the NAME of a wand he was given by his old friend--Warren Stevens.
When you hold it upright it is rigid. When you hold it level it bends/droops.

Any names guys. I am sure it is NOT just the old Bendy Wand

Allen Tipton
UK

Wobbly Wand
stevezany
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of stevezany
You could also add to the list Tommy James'
-- Comedy Christmas Magic Wand
-- Measle Teasel Comedy Magic Wand

and...
-- Wolf's Magic Sponge Ball Wand
Jeremy Le Poidevin
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Le Poidevin
Also, to add to this very impressive list, and available exclusively from Practical Magic in England:
*Egg on Wand - you try to balance an egg on the end of a wand!
*Silly Silk Wand - silk appears on end of wand, visibly vanishes(!), reappears round your ankle!
*Rat Wand - cute rat keeps appearing from nowhere.
Practical Magic can also supply:
*Presto Wand - wand which will 'load' a silk anywhere you want it
*Groan Wand - really loud groan when tipped. Groan works from both ends, and can be controlled NOT to groan.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Updated List: 11/4/2011

• Appearing Pole Wand: Wand is pulled from bag, book, or other object-like the pole, broom, shovel, & crayon
  • Appearing Wand: Wand Appears in a Variety of ways
  • Balloon Wand: Balloon that looks like a Wand
  • Bang Wand: It explodes
  • Barbie Wand:Barbie doll on the end of a wand (my magic blonde)
  • Batter Up Wand: A wand that turns into a baseball bat (Mike Bent)
  • Beacon Wand: Light spins or flashes on end
  • Beacon (lollipop): End Falls off replaces with Lollipop
  • Bending/Stretching Wand: Twists and Bends Wand
  • Bendy Wand: It Bends like rubber
  • Bigger Wands: by Creative Magic Giant foot wand (Very Funny)
  • Blank Roll-Out Wand
  • Blinking Wand: End of wand has a blinking small laser like-light.
  • Blow Dart Wand: It Shots a toy dart
  • Bone Wand: this is a giant plastic bone painted like a wand. (Risley Was Selling these)
  • Breakaway Wand End: White tip falls down
  • Breakaway Wand: It falls apart
  • Caterpillar Wand: Caterpillar spring out
  • Certificate Wand: A certificate that looks like a wand when rolled up
  • Comedy Christmas Magic Wand:
  • Coin Producing Wand: Coin appears on tip
  • Color Changing Wand: Changes from black to red.
  • Confetti Wand: Paper Flys out
  • Cow Wand: It moos when you turn it over
  • Dancing Wand: Dances around
  • Disobedient Wand:
  • Duster wand: Turns into a Feather Duster (Silly Billy)
  • Egg on Wand: you try to balance an egg on the end of a wand!available exclusively from Practical Magic in England
  • Elite Magicians Wand
  • Extending Wand: It telescopes or extends to be about six feet long.
  • Expanding Wand: Rolls out to look like a real wand
  • Exploding Wand: Like the Shooting wand
  • FanTaStik: (like a giant Hot Rod)
  • Fishing Pole Wand: David Ginn item that breaks apart
  • Five-In-One Wand
  • Flash Flower Wand-Double
  • Flash Wand: It shots out flash paper
  • Floating Wand: Light Weight wand
  • Flower Wand: Produces a Flower
  • Flowers From Wand
  • Fly Swatter Wand: Fly swatter instead of a wand- of course the kids will tell you that you are wrong.
  • Foam Rubber Wand: Four Foot Foam Wand
  • Giant Wand : Spring Snake Wand (25 Snakes Pop Out)
  • Ginn's Fishing Wand: It Breaks
  • Green Tip Wand: Wand with a green tip
  • Groan Wand: really loud groan when tipped. Groan works from both ends, and can be controlled NOT to groan. Practical Magic in England
  • Harry Potter Wand: A stick with Magical powers
  • Honking Wand: Horn connected to it
  • Jumbo Inflated Wand: Silly Billy Wand
  • Knotty Wand: Wand with a knot in the middle
  • Lollipop Wand (Beacon): End Falls off replaces with Lollipop
  • Long John Wand: Caps have phone cord wire
  • Magic Blond: A Barbie on the end of a wand.
  • Magic Color Wand: Flat Wand with different colors on other side (Paddle Effect)
  • Magic Sponge Ball Wand: by Wolf Magic
  • Magic Wand: small wand[/b]
  • Magic Wands (Plastic): Just a plastic wand
  • Measle Teasel: Comedy Magic Wand
  • Moo Wand: It moos like a cow when you turn it over
  • Mouse Wand: A small mouse comes from the end. (Warren Stevens)
  • Multiplying Wands: Multiple Wands are stacked inside each other.
  • Musical Wands: Halloween props that make a magical sound. (Boy Assistants love these)
  • Needle Holder Wand W/Lubricant: Holds needle for Needle thru Balloon effect
  • Nesting Wands: Similar to Multiplying wands
  • Paint Brush Wand: Another David Ginn wand that looks like a paint brush
  • Pen Wand: a wand which opens up to become a pen. i.e. a pen designed like a wand.
  • Plunger Flower Wand: Looks like a wand with a plunger on the end, & Flower inside
  • Plunger Wand on Head: Apprentice Hat
  • Plunger Wand: Changes into Toilet Plunger
  • Pop Wand: End Pops Off
  • Popsy-Topsy Wand
  • Power Wand: Has a party popper in the end which pops out streamers.
  • Presto Wand: wand which will 'load' a silk anywhere you want it, Practical Magic in England
  • Princess Wand: Musical Wand for girls shaped like a heart.
  • Rabbit Wand: Character Wand where Assistant Face appears as the rabbit in a hat (Wand Rolls Down)
  • Rat Wand: cute rat keeps appearing from nowhere.available exclusively from Practical Magic in England
  • Rattle Wands: (Royal)
  • Reel Magic Wand: Invisible Thread
  • Ridiculous Wand: Bending soft wand
  • Rising Wand: It Jumps Out of Your Hand
  • Rising Wand: It Rises
  • Rope Wand: A Rope that is a wand
  • Sausage Wand: Spring Franks
  • Secret Wand: It has a picture of Secret Deodorant on it.. Get it Secret
  • Silk Vanish Wand: Silk Vanishes
  • Silk Production Wand: Instantly produces silk.
  • Silly Silk Wand: silk appears on end of wand, visibly vanishes(!), reappears round your ankle!available exclusively from Practical Magic in England
  • Silly Surprise Wands: (Jozo Bozo)
  • Silly Wand: Stretching and twisting wand (Silly Billy)
  • Snake Wand: Want turns into a Spring Snake.
  • Sneaky Snakey Wand: a wand to snake to wand to snake
  • Spring Wand: Giant Spring Wand, Small (Snake Can) Spring Wands
  • Spider Wand: A Spider Comes out (Warren Stevens)
  • Squeaking Wand: it squeaks, when you squeeze it
  • String Em' a Wand: a wand that shoots silly string!
  • Telephone Wand: White Tips are Attached with Telephone cord. (Lit'le John Wand)
  • Tipple Topple Wand: Tips Droop
  • Tipsy Wand: Tip falls like Breakaway Wand
  • Vanishing Wand: Fantasio
  • Vanishing Wand: It vanishes-Disappears
  • Vanishing Wand: Powell
  • Wailing Wand: Makes a sound when turned over
  • Wackey Wand: A Chance Wolf Product
  • Wand Bar: a wooden bar with 6 colored wands in it. When the kid tries to take one out the rest fall through the bar- excellent for misdirection as well.
  • Wand To Sausages
  • Wand To Snake
  • Wand to Spoon: (Axtell Expressions - part of the Pizza To Go routine - I am not sure if they sell it separately)
  • Wild Wand Fantasy: Wooden,England
  • Windmill Wand:
  • Wizard Wand: Wooden
  • Wobbly Wand: It wobbles... from Warren Stevens (See Tim Sonefelt)
  • Wooden Spoon: It turns into a wooden Spoon
Dennis Michael
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Wow.. there sure are a lot of gimmick wands out there. I'd like to share my thoughts on the use of gimmick wands. I see a big problem with the way these wands are usually presented. It really frustrates me every time I see a magician pull out another gimmick wand with no regard to what children think of or expect from it. The key to getting the full & proper impact from any gimmicked wand seems to be so overlooked by just about every kids magician I have seen.

The key to getting the most from any of these wands is.... SURPRSIE! They have to be a surprise, and in order for them to be a surprise the audience need to have some expectation of what a wand is & what is does. We are all magicians. We know what a magic wand is and what it does. The trouble is children do not necessarily know this. Instead of ever using a straight wand in our show that actually works to create some magic we are all relying on Harry Potter to teach children what a wand is and then we only ever use comedy gimmick wands that never work. I remember watching another magician perform one time & early in his show he pulled out a breakaway wand. I heard a young girl in the audience say, 'Oh, it is one of those things that breaks away'. She was laughing along with the other children, but she had no concept of a wand doing any magic or holding any power. To her they were just things that always broke away because the only wands she had ever seen were all breakaway wands.

We need to start using ungimmicked ordinary magic wands that reliably work to make the magic happen. The wand needs to successfully work to create the magic in your hands and in the hands of a helper. Only then when the children have established this solid expectation that a wand will make the magic happen will we get the full dramatic & comedic effect from it breaking away. Yes, it is not just funny when a wand breaks.. it is drama was well. Don't forget about the drama.

If you start using gimmicked wands like a breakaway wand & you have not set the expectation beforehand by using a straight wand first then you are skipping straight to the punchline & missing the set up. Think of it as being like telling a lie to a stranger. If you want your lie to have an impact you need to build up some credibility by telling the truth first.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Andy,

I have to respectably disagree with you. With characters such as Harry Potter being so popular, children know that magic happens by using a magic wand. If I pull out a break away wand to make the magic happen because so far what I have attempted to do has failed children always know what it is. They already know a magic wand makes the magic happen. Even the little ones know this. Just my opinion based on the shows I have done.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi Andy and Paul,

I think you are both making good points. What IS a magician? There are going to be some kids that just have the vaguest idea about this. Here in the Bay Area we have an incredible diverse ethnic demography. What do kids of Korean, Chinese, Indian, Hispanic, Eastern European, and Japanese descent think a magician is? Age, income, etc are also a factor.

We often rely on a stereotype or some kind of collective unconscious definition of what magic is supposed to be. Paul I see you are posting from Michigan, and Andy from New Zealand, and that may also have something to do with the expectations of your particular audience.

I would like more information of how traditional views about magic might be different depending on ethnicity, location, age, etc. Not sure if that is feasible.

So for me out here the point is well taken that some kids may need training in what to expect from that wand and from the magician in general. This might be unnecessary elsewhere depending on the audience.

Best, Bill
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
There is a wand from Mark Fuller that is called the Pardon Me Wand that is a great reaction getter for small kids. I love it for the pre-schoolers.
It is like a wilting flower and it taps you on the shoulder while you look away.
Great Fun!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
435 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
I really don't want to branch off too much here, but I bring this up because I remember waaaaaaaaa-aaaaaay back around 372BC....my very first school magic show (couldn't have been higher than 1st grade!)...and the guy did a warm-up with a breakaway wand. In my 6 year-old's brain, I though it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.....but I can't seem to garner that same response in MY SHOWS!!! Anyone know of a video/book that gives a good treatment of the breakaway wand?
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just popping an old thread back to the top, because of Dennis Michael's wonderful contribution, that others added to.

Also,
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 19:44, stevezany wrote:
You could also add to the list Tommy James'
-- Comedy Christmas Magic Wand
-- Measle Teasel Comedy Magic Wand

The newest wand by Tommy James, to add to this list, is:

Comedy Ker Plunk Wand

Also, in Dennis' list is the Tipsy Wand (Practical Magic). Others might know it as a Flipple Tipple Wand.

The Magic Wand Machine (prop / routine) comes with a number of unusual looking wands.

iWand (Jef Eaton / Kandu Magic) is another wand I don't see on the list.

Twentieth Century Wand / Twenty First Century Wand (David Tomkins) is sold by Practical Magic, and I don't see it on the list. You perform 20th Century Silks inside a wand that comes apart into 2 pieces.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sorry for the double post. I missed the deadline to edit / add this to my other post.

Quote:
On 2011-11-04 08:27, Dennis Michael wrote:
[*] Bigger Wands: by Creative Magic Giant foot wand (Very Funny)

Also, just to clarify. There are two wand products from Creative Magic.

One is the set of 7 various size wands (6" up to 7' long), called Bigger Wands:

http://www.creativemagic.net/kids/biggerwands.htm

The other is the inflatable 12' long wand, called Biggest Wand:

http://www.creativemagic.net/kids/biggestwand.htm

So, those 2 products are different, but sometimes people mix them up because the names are somewhat similar.

They are no longer being made or sold directly by Creative Magic, because the company is selling off their company in portions, starting back in June 2011. However, you can buy them used from portion holders and past customers.

Also, Jeff Jones (Magic Backdrops) is currrently selling the Biggest Wand, with a new style of cover, with Creative Magic's permission:

http://www.magicbackdrops.com/MagicBackd......nds.html

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Break-away wand, the Topsy Popsy Wand and other fake, gag and "trick" wands? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL