The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pow Wow by Anabelle & Liseli (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Yeah I took offense. I will tell you why as well. The book is not being sold using sex, to make the reference that it is simply states that you don't think that a woman has anything else to sell the book with. I know that sex in marketing sells, I also know that weddings and babies are also great for marketing. Your comment was: "I did say that in a joking manner. However s** sells". Now to me that is you saying, "I was only joking about my sexist commment, but what I really meant to say was that it was a true statement."

Read how it comes across; you said you were joking yet you added a 'but' when you said "however, sex sells". Of course you could have pointed out that sex is a powerful marketing tool but in the context of how you were saying it you just reinforced that you assume the book is being sold using these tactics. To do this in this instance is to say that you don't think that women have a valid viewpoint in magic. We then get to the root as to why there are very few women in magic. It is this kind of biggotry that causes problems.

If Anabelle is happy to use her and her friends looks to sell the book then my point of view is invalidated. However, if she is more interested in what the product has to offer then your point is sexist. On the plus side, this kind of debate will do wonders for creating market awareness of the book.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Well noted Isso. I am just making a point. I used Anabelle as an example, because it was my dumb comment that started the entire thing. My point on a marketing side of things is very valid. If you don't want to except that, that is fine. I am just letting you know something that should be obvious.

Anabelle. I am sorry. In no way did I want to belittle your work. In no way did I want to Belittle you. I used you as an example, because you are a female mentalist, which is not common. I also used you as an example, because you want to be a model/actress.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-02-17 17:36, salsa_dancer wrote:
On the plus side, this kind of debate will do wonders for creating market awareness of the book.

Marketing is a very powerful tool.
Ask Jack Galloway about me marketing his product.

Salsa. It did come out wrong and I am sorry about that. I have said a few times now that I don't think Anabelle is trying to sell this book using her and her friends good looks. I respect what Anabelle is doing. I hope she succeeds. I for one would be first in line to see a female mentalism show. I think it would be refreshing to see. It is something I am yet to see.

Again I am sorry for the way it came accross.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Do you need a shovel chi chi?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Yes please. Can you send me one?
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Anabelle - I have nothing to say regarding chichi's comments, however I am pleased to have purchased your book. Recently I've taken an interest in shamanism and how it pertains to theatrical magic. (Probably from rereading Burger & Neale’s ‘Magic and Meaning’ recently).

Anyway, your release was timely for me as it has generated additional ideas for material I’m currently working on including the legend of Kokopelli. I especially liked Cowboys & Indians and the Medicine Wheel. Incidentally, I’m going to a Native American Pow Wow here in Indian River County this weekend. It’ll be the first one I’ve attended since I was six years old.

My mother’s brother married a full-blooded Potawatomi woman and it was in Kansas during a summer visit in the mid-1960’s that I got to witness their ceremony. I remember being a little apprehensive at the time as my sole source of reference for Natives were typical 1950/1960’s movies.

So you can imagine my delight (relief?) to witness a celebration of their culture with music, song, dance and families taking part in the ceremonies. Anyway it allowed me, later on in life, to question the way Native American’s are traditionally depicted and has brought me now to where I’m looking to incorporate some reference of them into my magic performance.

By the way, how’s the scene for public performers (magical) in south Florida recently? Currently I live just north of Vero Beach but was a 27 year resident of Broward county and frequently travel down that way on business or to visit family.

Keep up the good work

Regards,
Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Tony, thank you so much for the post. As I mentioned in my blog, my friend Liseli has been a big and very positive influence in my life, and a lot of it has to do with her roots.

chichi, apology totally accepted.

Anabelle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pow Wow by Anabelle & Liseli (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL