The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ditching a Coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
352 Posts

Profile of TKE
Whats the best way to ditch a coin?

I can get the misdirection part pretty well where they'll be looking at the other hand or something in their hand but then I need to get rid of the other one..

sometimes tossing it in my front pocket can be pretty risky..

what do you guys think
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
If you are sitting, lapping it is pretty easy and straitforward...

J.B.Bobo has a few methods that work well if you are wearing a jacket, or shirt that has a breast pocket (with coin palmed, passing the hand over the pocket and ditching it...). Pesonnally, I am not a big fan of "cuffing" of "sleeving", but both options are very good if that is your style...

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Id try to get it into the pocket, but draw attention to the other hand, eith by showing there to be a coin in that hand or mysteriously not!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It depends on what your wearing, where you're positioned, etc.

Loual4 points you in the right direction.
Sleeving is excellent but many folks no longer seem to prefer sleeves.
There's a method in "Coin Magic" if you're wearing a button down shirt.

If you can conceal it for moment by using a sleight or short washing technique then you can delay the ditching. Simply go to pocket or drop it down the front of your shirt as you scratch an itch.

The crook of the elbow is a decent, temporary concealment.
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Hi TKE,

All of the suggestions here are worthwile. Some of my personal favorites are breast pocket, sleeving and one other method to get the coin into my pants pocket. With a bit of built up midirection, proper intention, and correct body language I use a method where you just stick your hand right in your pants pocket.. the audience is non the wiser. PM me for details.

Ben
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
352 Posts

Profile of TKE
Thanks guys

I never have a breast pocket and rarely a front pocket or sleeves that would be suitable for sleeving..

bproud I can sometimes get away with putting it in the pocket but it does take some heavy misdirection...

by the way jaz nice wallpaper
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Be natural. When I ditch a coin in my right hand to the jean front right pocket, I also concurrently put my left hand into my left pocket. And both hands just stay in the pockets for awhile. I learn this from Jay Sankey and it works.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
How about the topit..u can even vanish the coin!!!!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
352 Posts

Profile of TKE
What is a topit? doesn't that require a jacket?
wattomagic
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
68 Posts

Profile of wattomagic
If you are not to short put the coin on you head.
That way when everyone says bring it back, well you can Smile
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I like the ones in Bobos book. Sleeving, the breast pocket, and If the reasoning is acceptable, you could get it in your pants pocket. Probably not the way Ben is talking about, but all I do is keep the coin palmed, reach in to get something from my pocket, and leave it in there. Another neat Ditching type effect is the one where you make the coin vanish, you get a pencil from the inside pocket of your vest/sport coat, and while you are in there, drop the coin down the sleeve. Take out the pencil. Show the coin has vanished, drop your arm by your side, and retrieve the coin. While attention is on the pencil, tap your hand, and the coin is back. I really would like to play with this idea, it is really neat, but I need a vest or jacket that has a pocket on the inside of it. I am currently practicing my sleeving. And changes of a coin, to a jumbo coin, and jumbo coin vanishes. As well as coin changes, and the bobo pinch I believe it is... The sleeving method I am trying is the "squirting" method. But I need to play with the other methods as well.

PS, I realized that in my post I had the vest typed in. I realize that makes no sence considering the vest has no sleeves to drop the coin in...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Ha, cuffing. Reminds me of something that no longer applies to todays modern wardrobe. Ditching a coin the cuff of a pant leg.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 22:12, Joey Stalin wrote:
Ha, cuffing. Reminds me of something that no longer applies to todays modern wardrobe. Ditching a coin the cuff of a pant leg.

Hey, don't laugh! I had cuffs on my pants not too long ago (couple of years...). And you know that fashion goes around and comes around. Again and again... I wouldn't be suprised if cuffs were back in style next year!

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras

P.S.: I still don't like cuffing... Just my opinion...
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
This all goes to illustrate that when you ask a question here, it's best not to ask questions like "what's the best way to....", since it all depends on your performing conditions.

If you're serious about performing magic, it doesn't seem such a huge hardship, if you're wearing jeans and T-shirt (again, the OP hasn't really said), to buy some T-shirts with a breast pocket. If you're performing for the public, perhaps you should be wearing a jacket.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 14:40, TKE wrote:
What is a topit? doesn't that require a jacket?

yeah you need a jacket for topit..i think that's why it is least popular among magicians lately....
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
[/quote]

Hey, don't laugh! I had cuffs on my pants not too long ago (couple of years...). And you know that fashion goes around and comes around. Again and again... I wouldn't be suprised if cuffs were back in style next year!

[/quote]

Now Now, any pair of decently tailored gentlemens trousers will have cuffs.
Trousers are not to be confused with slacks or (shudder) jeans.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
If you not in a position to move on to another trick and or retrieve another prop the breast pocket works really well, check BOBO for details but you should check out Wilsons all around, GREAT move. If not, there's always woofle dust.
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
I second Wilson's all around coin vanish...I think it is great!
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
89 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
I find that when wearing jeans it's very easy to ditch in my rear pocket. I extend the left hand forward to show the hand empty or the transposed coins while I quickly move the right hand back and drop into the rear pocket. All in one move.

Is this taboo or do others use it? I never hear anyone mention it.

The only drawback I see is that I can't retreive it again very easily.
-0-
View Profile
New user
London
58 Posts

Profile of -0-
Someone mentioned Wilson's All-around coin vanish, from the same dvd (off the cuff if I recall correctly), you can also get pitch and ditch that might well suit you. I can't say what it is without exposure, but all you need is to be wearing trousers.

Hope that helps
Regards,

-0-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ditching a Coin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL