The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » No sound System! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I have a show tonight that is for a smaller crowd. 40 to 60 people. I just found out that the sound system in the building is down. I will not have a mic tonight!

I always use a mic no matter the size of the audience. I am just wondering if people will be able to hear me? ANybody do shows for 40 to 60 without a sound system? ANy other ideas?
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
This might be bad for your voice, you'll really have to strain.
xxx
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
That's what I am afraid of. Is there anyway to make up a sound system? A small speaker and a mic would be better than nothing.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Yes. I'll be doing one tonight.
It all depends on the environment of the place you are performing. Tonight I'll be in a small hotel conference room, the audience will be between in a range of 5 to 20 feet away. There is no background noise, so it is not a problem to project. But, I usually have my own sound system with me. So, when I show up at a place where I need one, I can drag mine out.

If you're performing for groups of up to 40 people, there are a lot of solutions you can use. A friend of mine has a simple Karaoke machine with a wireless mike. It works great for the small party circuit. (This is something you could probably pick up for less than $100 and keep in your trunk for emergencies.)

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Nice idea Tony. My sister has a Karaoke machine. I can just borrow hers. I am feeling better already.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I was a Boy Scout. You know the motto...

Tony
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I always take along a very small amp and wireless mic, even if I don't "know" I will need them. But you would be surprised how often it is needed.

It packs small enough that it isn't a problem. I also take a large supply of pencils, some extra pads, and at least one extra of anything I suspect may possibly fail.

A mentalist who shows up unprepared or get "surprised" leaves himself open to the question; "What kind of a mentalist are you, if you didn't even know that.......?"
The Doctor Knows.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Doctor
It sounds like you were a Boy Scout too. <G>

Tony
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Most cities have rental shops where mics and p.a. systems can be rented reasonably cheaply for the day.

- entity
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I carry my Hisonic with me to every new venue. It carrys very nice for such a small system. Mini disc and wireless handheld mic is all I need for even a large venue. I test it in the back of the rooms and ensure I can be heard. Fits in a regular backpack.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Take the cash from this gig and buy yourself an "Emergency" PA. Or get one this afternoon and pay for it tomorrow. You will eventually need your own.
JMHO
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Candini- I've used the Lectrosonic Maximouse for years, but they are no longer made, and my 3 units are one-by-one wearing out.

How do you like the Hisonic model, and is this the $139 battery-wireless model you are using? Does it seem sturdy?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I also have a bullhorn, but usually reserve that for outside activities. Or when I am impersonating "Mr. Bullhorn", a loud but funny bit..
The Doctor Knows.....
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Or just project your voice ...
Sometimes a PA distorts, and I personally don't like them.
If your audience repects you, they will listen !
( Try teaching ! Then you REALLY need to project your voice ! )
Good luck !
Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Gene Ferguson
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Gene Ferguson
With a crowd of only 40-60 you should'nt have too much trouble projecting without a PA. It is best to always carry a "back-up" unit because the projected 40-60 could turn-out to be a hundred in a high ceiling room. Joe Lefler with Fun-Tastic Entertainment sells some really good small but dynamic units. I currently use the
Mipro MA101 with a Countryman E60W 5L microphone as my "back-up".
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I don't own speakers. I just have the wireless mic. It probably would not be that much more to just finish the "backup" system.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2460 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Go to local music (instrament) store.....they would have some self powered speakers that you can plug a mic into, or a cordless mic
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Magicmind is correct! Buy a powered speaker and you are set.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
This happened to me, luckily the audience size was only 40 / 50 also so I simply asked the organiser to get people to gather their chairs closer to the performing area. Not an ideal solution but I didn't have to scream all night. Good advice above about getting an emergency PA something is better than nothing..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
This is my small show and 'backup' speaker I clip it onto my belt at the small of my back,and it works nicely for groups up to about 60. Also is great for strolling in noisy venues.Best.

Rich

http://store.cousinsvideo.com/cal-pa-285.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » No sound System! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL