The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing For Seniors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
I have read and heard it recommended to get experience by performing at homes for Senior citizens.
With all due respect I am wondering how practical this advice is considering an elderly persons ability to focus or follow along with on mental effects? Would they be able to comprehend what you are doing?

What do you think or what are your experiences in this area?

Thanks, - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I was wondering the same thing too. I know Stuart Cumberland reccomended this in his most recent newsletter. I have done straight magic in this setting..with the physical and mental impairments of this population (nursing home as oppossed to retirment home) it is a bit of a challenge.

mark
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Ask the homes directors there is a big difference in many homes. Homes for independent seniors may be better option. Contact a retirement village that has a club and offer to do a free night. In my library shows many seniors show up and they love mentalism becuase in many ways, mentalism is a throw back to earlier days...
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1169 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I was shocked when we had a couple of busloads of elderly guests brought to a luncheon hosted by a comedy club that I was working. The mentalism appealed to them like no other group that I've worked.

It really perked up the people who I had previously thought were too distant to affect.

I would not hesitate to recommend good mentalism to an elderly group. On that note, I also don't attempt to do more than 15 or 20 minutes of mentalism in a show. I feel that is a very important point, as well.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-02-10 20:41, Nicodemus wrote:
I have read and heard it recommended to get experience by performing at homes for Senior citizens.
With all due respect I am wondering how practical this advice is considering an elderly persons ability to focus or follow along with on mental effects? Would they be able to comprehend what you are doing?

Thanks, - Nicodemus

You might want to skip senior shows all together. It might not be intentional, but they will pick up on your inherent condescension towards them. You run the same risk as the Birthday Party Clown who thinks the kids will never be able to follow his mad t***b t** skills and does a half assed job. Not all old people are Grampa Simpson.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
I don't think he has a condescending attitude about them. He isn't refering to all old people just the ones in nursing homes, atleast I think that's what he means. I would also be concerned performing mentalism for a nursing home. The whole reason they are at a nursing home is because they can't take care of themselves alone so I don't think it's rude to assume they might have some major dissabilitys. But I think that a retirement community would be very good and I think they would really like it. I am going to look into that for myself.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
There's a big chasm between the retired elderly and the human rutabagas. You also wouldn't want to do a mentalism show for the severely mentally handicapped.

Then, again, maybe the show isn't for your benefit, maybe it's for theirs...

At any rate...retirement communites are different than retirement homes, to assisted living, to nursing homes...all have different degrees of zippy in their patrons. You can pick and choose.

Get out there and do it for somebody's Grandma!...and remember that most of those folks have far more experience in most things that you have....so just do your best to be your best...
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12322 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 15:47, bitterman wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-10 20:41, Nicodemus wrote:

Thanks, - Nicodemus

You might want to skip senior shows all together. It might not be intentional, but they will pick up on your inherent condescension towards them. You run the same risk as the Birthday Party Clown who thinks the kids will never be able to follow his mad t***b t** skills and does a half assed job. Not all old people are Grampa Simpson.

Don't be so bitter bitterman. Smile

I don't think Nicodemus comments showed a lack of respect for seniors. He's just asking a relevant question that does make a lot of sense.

Nicodemus, I was contacted by a senior home and I suggested a mindreading show. The contact thought they would LOVE a mind reading show.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Thank you Night Bringer and John Cesta for correctly interpting my post.

Bitterman: Please re-read the part that says "With all due respect... " !

Tom Jorgenson's comment "At any rate...retirement communites are different than retirement homes, to assisted living, to nursing homes...all have different degrees of zippy in their patrons. You can pick and choose." is very helpful and something well worth paying attention to. Thanks Tom.

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
When ever somebody says "with all due respect", or "no offense to anyone" or anything close to that. Somebody is about to be disrespected. I think that was shown true in this post.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Senior citizens vary widely in their mental and physical abilities. Although some have severe mental or physical limitations, there are seniors who are in better physical condition than a 20-year-old couch potato. There are seniors whose mental capacities and knowledge far exceed someone half their age whose mental interests never transended the banal.

I have friends (especially)in upscale retirement communities or facilities who are mentally and physically sharp. Check carefully with the event organizer. "Senior Centers" may also be a suitable venue for mentalism performances.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
They are not called "wise men" without reason.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing For Seniors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL