The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Tommy Angel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Any thoughts on this character? He was featured in Magic magazine this month and I thought it was a brilliant idea..

His schtick is sort of a gospel magician who lost his faith...worth checking out..

Posted: Feb 14, 2006 2:26am
----------------------------------------------
Too intense??? prefer to turn a blind eye???? I don't get it, I thought you guys would have more thoughts on him that this....
neoreform
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of neoreform
I was also wondering whatthe thoughts were about him. Is he truly gospel or is he anti-gospel. The article was not really clear. Why "invent" an alter ego to be Christian?
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I haven't gotten through my issue yet, but I do find it interesting.

Will chime in when I have finished, and formulated my thoughts.

John
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Eric
Perhaps the problem is more with unfamiliarity, than apathy. I've never heard of the guy, and since I only ocassionally(maybe once a year??) see a Magic magazine issue. I don't know anything about him.

However I will be more than happy to make up some opinions on him, if you Really want me to Smile Smile Smile Smile .

Just from your avatar, I'd say you were a bit of a scamp, and trying to stir the pot a bit. Smile
Steve Smile
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I read the article. The character only exists for photographs. He doesn't have an actual act. It's just a thematic piece of concept art. Which is fine. I wish the real Tommy Angel existed so I could have dinner and conversation with him.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Interesting article and even more interesting concept. It would be an interesting character to develop into an act but also a performance piece that would have a difficult time finding the proper venue.
I like the idea of a ***ed gospel magician. Sort of like John Constantine doing magic with a message so he can buy his way into heaven.
Would make a great business card

John Constantine
Exorcist, Demon Fighter, Gospel Magican.
Childrens shows a specialty
Balloon animals upon request.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Smile That's Good Payne

You'd like my old Army Business card, it looses something without the picture, but the gist of it is, "When the going gets tough, the Weird turn Pro". I have considered using it as an avatar on the Café, but it would probably give the wrong message now. Smile

Steve Smile
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
RevLoveJoy,

If I read the article right, it sounded like he has a ten minute act with Tommy Angel. Not something he performs regularly, but he has crafted it.

I think I am going to turn myself into this guy, and see how the Council responds.
(SMILE).

Only change I would make... more fire from the Bible. Fire and Bibles always make for a good Kids presentation!!

RevJohn
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Quote:
However I will be more than happy to make up some opinions on him, if you Really want me to

Just from your avatar, I'd say you were a bit of a scamp, and trying to stir the pot a bit. Smile

Oh nice to see you can make such an assumption from my avatar..you must be holy
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Leclerc, did you just change your scampy avtar for a non-scamp version?
Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Nah its been changed for a few days now... I was wondering which of the 2 he meant...the pen in the nose one or this one? and what the heck is scamp?
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Eric,

I was thinking the same thing.. What is a scamp?

John
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
SCAMP - Rascal, rogue, an impish or playful young person.

SCAMPI - Large shrimp prepared with a garlic-flavored sauce.

I think he means the second one. Smile
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Well if you put that that way It dosent sound that bad at all, I take back my holy comment..hehe
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! I wondered what others thought of the article. I understood what RevJohn did - that he had an act, but didn't perform it regularly. The character was basically made for his artwork.
While the article wasn't very clear on the issue, by the end of it I was inclined to believe he uses these photos as mocking modern preachers. The glittery cross and writing on his jacket, like the way a bunch of tv evangelists make such a production about their message. It also makes you think he's saying it's all trickery; the whole "Jesus was a magician" view.
You can see some of the photos at http://www.tommyangel.net/
Just keep refreshing for new pics.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Thanks for the photo link. The one of him holding the Christ vent figure is priceless and the one of the hand holding the cross made out of wands is quite compelling.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Leclerc:
I am sure it is the pen in the nose scamp picture!
I think "scampi" is the term for shellfish dish, not scamp.
The Tommy Angel charactor is an interesting one. It raises the question (for me) about the magician being an actor playing the role of a magician, to that of an actor playing the role of a gospel magician.
I cannot just be an actor playing the role of a gospel magician. When presenting gospel magic, however, I am using many acting techniques. Realizing that Tommy Angel is a parody of a gospel magician, (or at least I hope!) I am compelled to be even more authentic in my gospel presentaions.......oh man, that sounds like a paradox! bring on the grace.
Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
A friend of mine saw the pictures and thought he was mimicing old Ozzy Osborne/Black Sabbath materials... If you look a little closer at the style of the writing on the jacket, it does resemble some of Ozzy's older photographs... I haven't seen these myself (the Ozzy pictures) as I'm not a huge fan of his music other than the few big hits; however, I thought this was a pretty clever observation on my friends behalf...

Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Tommy Angel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL