The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Ending Wilson's Recapped (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
I like this trick but I feel the end lacks. What are some better ways to end this trick?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
One sleeveless & jacketless idea I played with was to create the illusion that the pen was being pushed completely into the cap and then possibly pocketing the cap (and pen). Moves were a cigarette sleight and Flipstick, change over moves.

Moving into pen thru bill or finger ring on/off pen.

Hope this helps.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Why do you think it needs an ending. A multi phases entertaining routining, not hard to do, and at the end everything dissappears. All with a prop that you hold almost everyday. What needs changing?
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 17:51, kramerica2010 wrote:
I like this trick but I feel the end lacks. What are some better ways to end this trick?

I have the same feeling. The routine is excellent, but somehow the ending feels weak. The audience is so enthralled by everything appearing behind the ear, but the ending almost feels like an anticlimax...
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
The pen coming out of the cap is is anticlimactic??? What are you talking about.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-03-25 16:39, raphlo2 wrote:
The pen coming out of the cap is is anticlimactic??? What are you talking about.

Where does anyone say this Rap?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks Rap.
Geeez! Totally missed that.
F-Hmagic
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of F-Hmagic
What is the Recapped? Where can I find this at? (thanks in advance)
What?! How'd that get there?!
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
It's a Greg Wilson routine. Can be found on On the Spot and Off the Cuff.
TaylorM
View Profile
New user
Chicago
25 Posts

Profile of TaylorM
It is also in Art of Astonishment Volume 1, so it isn't too hard to get. Great Routine btw.

~Taylor
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Apollo Robbins has an advanced handling of Recap on the Cultural Exchange videos, where the pen ends up in the specs elbow, instead of "yours."
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I like Apollo's take but don't think the routine is as strong...

even his from the spectator seems like something to do BEFORE the end.

Personally, right after disappearing the cap(in my ear) I flipstick the pen as I toss it up, notice the cap in my ear and then pull the pen from the cap during a handwashing sequence...

It is a very good ending imho as long as you SELL IT as the ending... they should still be reeling from the Cap in Ear imho as you finish them with the pen reapperence to signify the end of the trick.

Imho even with wilsons handling, the "finish" is the cap in ear, the vanish and reproduction of the pen are more to signify the end rather than give it a big punch...
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
What I mean is this:

Everything is so clean throughout. You make the pen/cap reappear behind your ear the whole time. In the second to last phase people can't believe you got the cap behind your ear, WHILE THEY WERE looking!! It really is excellent. Then the pen vanishes, without a trace. The kind of expect the pen to be behind your ear again, but it isn't. Now, for the next step, you try to convince them it's in the CAP??! It always feels as if I am underestimating my audience's intelligence by ending like that.

I like the ending in "off the cuff" better. I rather have the pen travel to a rear pocket of one of the onlookers.

The whole routine is based on a travelling pen/cap. So I like ending it that way too. That's why I feel the handling in "On the Spot" has an anticlimactic ending.

For me at least.

Aubrey de Wet
RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
To be honest, I don't do the ending from "On the Spot" or "Off the Cuff", though I like both. And I mix up the routine a little bit. (In my routine, the cap is the "star"):

Cap vanishes from the front end of the pen -- appears on the back end of the pen
Pen vanishes -- appears behind my ear
Cap vanishes -- appears behind my ear
Cap vanishes (striking vanish) -- appears on the front end of the pen

Pen is back where it started, which is a nice conclusion to the routine. If you borrowed the pen, you can hand it back or put it back where it came from, and you're done.

Just my thoughts.
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen."
-- Philippians 4:23
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I had trouble with the last move. Kept writing on myself with the pen and had trouble securing it. Now the Last phase for me is a vanish of the cap and it reappears back on the pen.
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
The part of Apollo Robbins routine I liked the best was using a flipstick move to make the pen vanish completely. If you'd like to learn more about flipsticking, try Cultural Xchange 2, which contains Son of Recap.
The Great Simon
View Profile
New user
Rugby, UK
34 Posts

Profile of The Great Simon
I've never actually used this myself, but I was wondering what other people thought:

At the end of recap, how about moving into one of the spectators and going into a "Head Trip" routine (the anything over the head one), starting with the pen as the first object? Or do you think this would undermine the "magic" of the recap routine? As I said I don't actually use this, I'm just looking for ways to make my recap routine a bit more interesting.
"What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet." - Woody Allen
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
Simon the Sorcerer...

That could be nice, one on one. Before doing that, you will have to release some tension first. People really get wired during this routine. You may still have to end it anyhow, then go 'into' the spectator to do the Slydini thing.

Aubrey de Wet
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I sometimes vanish the pen, then vanish the cap. This is extremely strong. You can then move into your next routine ... or leave. For an excellent way to do this (though in context of a different routine), see David Stone's "A Little Trick" on Volume 1 of his coin magic dvds.

FC
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Audrey.....
Apollo? Clean? ....How can you call flipstick move CLEAN?... clean looking maybe, if you practice it for a long time. but its my view that its no where as clean as wilson one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Ending Wilson's Recapped (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL