The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Delusions by Scott Xavier - a Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Just recieved Scott's new ebook and thought I'd put up a review. You can purchase this on his website, he also has a free effect from the book to download there. Also go there to see a description of each effect. First heres the negative:

There were a lot of typos and some of the things could have been explained better.

OVERLY HYP’ED 4/10
Simply because I think this is more to fool other magicians/mentalists, but if you like the description it plays exactely how it reads.

MIND’LUSSIONAL 3/10
Not bad... To me it just seems like a weak version of Jermay's RGM.

800 - THO-UGHT 3/10
A nice idea but I think spectators would catch on to the method.

PLEASURE SQUARED 5/10 (Free Effect)
Good idea but this is more of a presentation for you to use, I didn't really see anything that original method-wise.

QUARTER BACK SNEAK 4/10
Not bad but I remember seeing this in a magic book awhile ago.

Now for the Positive:

PSYCHO KILLER 7/10
This is a very cool idea, I would change part of the method to suit my preferance better but I'm sure most of you wont find it necessary. Plays exactly like the description says, the only problem is the blindfolded spectator MIGHT not be very amazed. Personally if I were to do an effect like this I would choose Kennedy's over this, but this has the added drama of the blindfolded spectator and messy drawing.

PK LIGHT BULB 7/10
Another cool idea, this also has a good method for shattering a lightbulb inside a plastic baggy while you only hold on to the baggy. MUCH cheaper than Mesika's gimmick though I don't think I would say better. The lighting of the bulb sounds like it would work well though I havent actually tried it.

WADD SPITTER 8/10
This is a very good, and original idea to my knowledge. I really liked the method alot. Check it out if you want a pellet gun bullet catch, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

WALKING ON BROKEN GLASS 6/10
Two methods are given, the psuedo method and the actual method, be warned that this is very dangerous and take LOTS of practice.

Basically if you like the effect description it plays just like it reads, I think the Bullet Catch and PK Light Bulb is worth the price of the ebook alone. I think Scott could have sold the Bullet Catch by itself in a package for a lot more. The downside is there seems to be a lot of fillers, a lot of typos, and some of the explanations aren't too clear.

Overall I would give the book a 6/10.

Hope this review helps!

Oh I forgot to mention if I was rating the book purely for the material and not the typos and some difficult explanations I would give it an over all rating of 7.5/10.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Lady-J
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Lady-J
Since I am the Jill mentioned on the dedication page (or at least I hope I am?), I have retyped the book for him and made sure all the I's were dotted etc. What Draven had was a prototype.

It is a great read though. I am biased. I saw Scott perform this material last week to a group of Marines and his 800-tho-ught variation made them go crazy. He used a variation in which a phone book was borrowed from my CO's desk. Any page was selected. Gillbert ran his finger down the page and stopped one phone number. The phone number matched the number recorded on his cellular phone. The cool thing was that this phone was isolated inside of a "Top Secret Highly Classified Bag" as he called an ordinary Ziploc. It was good for a chuckle.

I still wonder how he got the pellet gun on base. That and the glass walking also made it into his show and each went over "EXTREMELY" well. I would buy this book. It may be a little too advanced for some of you. It went over my head.

I should have mentioned that there's a free trick from the book on http://www.scottxavier.com/new-book.htm . It's a teaser and will give you a better idea of what's in the book. Sorry didn't spell check that one yet.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
If for nothing else go get the free version and post a review of the handling of the secret loading method. It works and takes NO GIMMICKS! The phone book thing is a variant on something Is aw a friend do last year. This method is not obvious as D mentions above rather it is a MULTI tool of a mentalisms performance. For once there is no only visual to mentalism. You can now add sound and depth to your performing. I would give it a 10 out of 10 as I use this material. Now book me for a lecture!
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

It's probably just me then. I'm sure someone else might love the phone effect and maybe dislike one of the effects I think are great. Wad Spitter is just so cool though. If I ever do a bullet catch for publicity this is the one I will do. Thanks for a great effect Scott!

One of the things I really liked about this book is the effect plays just how it is described in the ad. So many ads are misleading now days.

P.S. Sorry! I was unaware I recieved a prototype.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
No problem. Since I have been travelling and some big names gave me crediting advice there have been 2 variations.

I do like the hyped effect with the ash twist. It plays extremely well. Or use hyped with tarot cards! THANK YOU RICK for the inspiration!
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Is this all original work?

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Jack I am wondering why that would matter to you? You don't need tricks remember. Smile
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

I was just wondering.

Don't you also Chi considering the flack Kennedy took recently.

I mean why buy something that might already be yours to use?

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Why buy it if it is not needed? lol

No I always wonder those questions, but at the end of the day it is impossible for me to keep track of, so I usually take everybodies word for it.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Ok then what do you think about it judging from what you read?

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I have not finished reading the book so far. But from what I have read it is his own effects. I think they are very creative and people can learn a lot from it. That is my opinion. Does he need to credit some people. Yes, but I think he is working on that?
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Oh so it is a Kennedy type of thing.

I only say that based upon your post and the thread about Kennedy.

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 16:18, Scott Xavier wrote:
No problem. Since I have been travelling and some big names gave me crediting advice there have been 2 variations.

I do like the hyped effect with the ash twist. It plays extremely well. Or use hyped with tarot cards! THANK YOU RICK for the inspiration!

When I said crediting. I am refering to what Scott himself said here.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

OK BIG question.

Who paid for this work and posted a revuiwe?
I cannot find one person.

I mean really?

At least Kennedy had guys saying the work was good and they paid for it.
A few crediting issues but they said it had some good stuff and these fellas paid for it.

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
The phone method 'as it is described' is a very old effect and very well known by most magicians. I think I used it in the late 80s.

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Thanks Bobser, strange still no answer from the other posters.

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The free effect with the double writing is a little flawed. The computer printed card will look so weird because it will be partly printed and partly hand written.

People are seriously pretty "with it" these days. If you want to do a confabulation, there are MUCH better versions. Alan Shaxon's for example.

Just my opinion of course,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Well, that's easy enough to fix, though. Just have it handwritten, like in the photos. Personally, I like it; has sort of a Cassidy-esque flavor to it. Be a nice SUC effect, too.

Seth
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

If I were to do an effect like that I would prefer it to be a story more than a list. Rather than XXX is where you went, XXX is who you went with etc. I would prefer something more like: You had a wonderful time with XXX at the XXX. If that makes sense.

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes I like that idea from Draven.

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Delusions by Scott Xavier - a Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL