The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card Stunts by Greg Wilson or Generation eXtreme by Brian Tudor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Up_in_smoke
View Profile
Regular user
England
139 Posts

Profile of Up_in_smoke
I am torn between the two, which one do you think I should get? I loved the showoff DVD, so I'm kind of thinking about getting Generation eXtreme. What do you think?
Noel D
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Noel D
Think about it like this:

do you want to learn amazing magic, or do you want to cut cards into a bazillion packets for no reason other than to show off? (and no one likes a show off).
Up_in_smoke
View Profile
Regular user
England
139 Posts

Profile of Up_in_smoke
You do have a point,there is no reason other than to say, "look what I can do",

Another question, does card stunts require I to make gimmicks I'm not a fan of gimmicks usually
Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
Card stunts all the way. Gen X is more like a flourishing showcase video rather than tutorial..and its not cheap at all.
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I agree with Noel D - you'll impress people more with anything from card Stunts. HOWEVER, if you personally really like flourishes, than go for that. I guess you have to decide which avenue to go down. I personally stray from flourishes and fancy cuts because then when you do magic they just think that you are really good with cards and you must have done sleight of hand. It takes away from some of the mystery.

:) Kaylan
Noel D
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Noel D
The only gimmick you need is for heavyweight boxing and you end clean, so there's really no chance of getting "caught"

Joke in the box is, IMO, the best card under glass like effect I have ever seen. Before this, I used john bannon's underhanded, but with this one, you load AS you reveal, so you basically can't get caught, the misdirection is too strong!

Highly reccomended.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
My friend had Generation eXterme for a few months now, and I can say with certainty that it is the worst decision he had ever made. All of the tricks are nay impossible or taught in the worst way possible. There are plenty of easy flourishes that can wow laymen without resorting to hours upon hours of finger work that GenX will pretty much require. I say go with Card Stunts or a cheaper flourishing one. I feel Cradle 2 the Grave had much better teaching, and a video like CapCuts is cheaper.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Before I say anything, the numbers of magic DVDs and vids that I own is literally in the 100s.... and I am familar with a GOOD magic video production whereas BAD one.

Gen X, of all the DVDs that I own, is near, if not AT, the very bottom. stuff he teaches on it, "the showoff routine" is mostly reproduction of video showoff, the angle of the shot is as HORRIBLE as it can get, so that the packets are hiding some of the vital finger movements (If you thought ShowOff I&II teaching was bad, wait til you see this) and his "instruction" is dubbed and doesn't match theaction on several parts. Even if you love xcm and some routines on DVD, and get this to learn it, unless you are a very determined and very strong visual learner who can see stuff beyond whats on the screen, you wont be learning anything for a long while.

Card Stunt, I loved it, just like any other Wilson productions - he is likable on DVD, the DVD is not through the roof expensive, and the stuff on it, is not "mainstream" so its a nice lil break from all the popular routines that everyone does. Some of the routines were designed to be flexible, and they are all entertaining routines. Teaching as well as crediting is superb.

Needless to say, I hate Tudor lol..... but I like all genre of magic, including xcm, so its not the genre which has be saying all those bad stuff about tudor.

If you still want to get Tudor.. well, what can I say.. go ahead.
Up_in_smoke
View Profile
Regular user
England
139 Posts

Profile of Up_in_smoke
Well what can I say, it sounds like I was going to make a terrible mistake buying Generation eXtreme, I think ill give it a miss and go for Card Stunts

Cheers everyone for your comments
Griff Howell
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Griff Howell
Tudor is the man! Nobody can touch him. But he doesn't teach very well. So I say put your money with Greg Wilson.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Ummmm...when Brian Tudor places in Card Magic at FISM, then maybe you can say nobody can touch him. GW is the man.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3822 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree that Card Stunts is the way to go. I did a detailed review of it years ago when it first came out. You can read my review in the reviews section over at magictalk.com
Sybilmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
275 Posts

Profile of Sybilmagic
Cards Stunts all the way! I have both and I have got more value our of card stunts infact it is my second fav dvd
opay
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of opay
Put your money to card stunt
best regards

=payz=
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Brian Tudor is a terrible teacher. And from a video I seen, I think it was heckler, the audio was terrible. Sounded like it was something you would play on on a tape deck seperate from the video... horrible.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
I disagree. I wouldnt say that Tudor is the best teacher in teh world, but his teaching has greatly improved sence his first "Generation X". I do not have card stunts, but I do have generation extreme. And in its defence I will say that in the 6 routines taught, only id completely XCM. 4 routines don't have any sible cuts, one handed cuts, or anything like that. And one routine is half sleights half XCM. Overall, if you take the time to learn the material, I think its worth teh fifty dollars.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2006-02-12 11:58, Noel D wrote:
Think about it like this:

do you want to learn amazing magic, or do you want to cut cards into a bazillion packets for no reason other than to show off? (and no one likes a show off).

hehe well sai, but sometimes some show off things are nice eye candies for an audience. btw: do you like the beaver brothers?
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
Greg Wilson's Card Stunts better entertainer...
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17038 Posts

Profile of joseph
I liked Showoff II, and Card Stunts is definitely on my must buy list....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
If you want to entertain - Card Stunts. If you want to show off - Generation Extreme
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card Stunts by Greg Wilson or Generation eXtreme by Brian Tudor (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL