The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Kid show idea involving a dog (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Ok, I was daydreaming about producing "Rusty the Wonderdog" from a doghouse prop based on the square circle (I'd have to modify the circle a bit) after walking him to the house with one of those "invisible dog" leashes. Then I had the idea that Rusty could actually be the magician the whole show and I could be his well-trained assistant. It would be simple to have him "wave" at the magic moment.

Of course, this is a LONG way off as Rusty will have to be trained and temperment tested etc etc, but what do you think?

Tks
Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I like the basic idea. Why a square circle as opposed to a tip-over box?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I hand't thought of it, but isn't the box a bit more problematic as far as angles?

Tks
Jim
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
It is, but depending on Rusty's size, the compartment can be smaller than the bottom. I think it's a great idea. And the misdirection every time he waved the wand would be tremendous. Plus if the show bombs, blame the dog.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
He's only got 3 feet, so I think blaming him might backfire Smile I am thinking of a magic therapy dog though....
neoreform
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of neoreform
I like the dog routine. Very clever!
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I love the idea. I love dogs. Most kids love dogs.

Two potential problems, even with the most well-trained dog:

1. show stealer. I mean, some kids will completely focus on the dog no matter what else is going on. They will want to surround him/her, take turns petting, etc.

2. the opposite problem is worse, though rare. Some kids are deathly afraid of dogs, no matter what breed or temperament. Ours are the goofiest, friendlest labradors. But once I introduced one to a group of children from church, and there were two who instantly recoiled with fear.

Not saying you can't compensate in some way if you get a child like this in an audience, but it is something to be prepared for. Sure, covering for every phobia out there would be impossible, but this is one that is more prevalent, especially among children who do not have mammalian pets at home, and know ONE nasty neighbor dog.

Overall, I think it is still a great idea. Maybe even a cape. The Superman in the comics has a superdog these days. Krypto is his name.
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
It may have to be one of the last effects. That way, the kids that want to can come pet, and the ones that are scared can just hang back.

Or... vanish him again after I produce him. But I think the kids might spend the rest of the show wondering where he is and if he's ok etc etc....
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Sounds like a great Idea jim! Please inform us of once you have decide on what to do. Hope it goes well!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I've used my standard poodle (stagename: Houndini realname: Scooby) for some mild mentalism effects - like "Mental Fetch" a card - a psychokinetic "lick" - and some "pawology"... kids love him...and no, I don't put the poor guy in a turban... although I do tie a fancy scarf around him at times....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Kid show idea involving a dog (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL