The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I met Chris a while back before the TV shows. I liked him then. My attitude is changing. This interview didn't help.

http://penn.freefm.com/
Chris Angel in the Studio interview.
Especially go to minute 7 and listen for a couple of minutes and then to minute 13 for a few more. If you have the time please listen to the whole thing so you have it in context.

The Masked Magician, James Randi, Penn and Teller and now Chris Angel.
But no problem....He doesn't give a **** what I think anyway.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
Hi Slim. Can you give me any indication of the content of the parts you mean? I've listened to it all and haven't heard anything wrong?

CarlD
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Yeah, can you sum it up as I am too lazy to listen. Lordy, imagine that? I am actually too lazy to listen to something, that is like the easiest thing in the world to do.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You must listen for yourself! It's an easy download. Listen for words like Most Magicians, Cheesy, Hokey...You'll get the picture.
If he thinks so little of us, why is he selling products to us cheesy/hokey magicians???...$$$
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
LOL! Salsa. Do you have a problem? Seriously, that was amongst the rudest, most ignorant and un-called for comments I have seen on the forum. If you look very closely you'll see that I say that I did listen to the show (in fact twice), but wanted Slim to say what he found so offensive, as I heard nothing at all that was even remotely wrong. Seemed like a fair question to me? Or is that not allowed in the embittered and lonely place you call your mind?

I've looked at many of your other posts and, as I was warned on joining, that you seem to have a certain arrogant eagerness (mentioned more than once here) to try and leap on people and belittle them at every opportunity, especially those you believe to be newcomers; usually without even reading the posts that you're responding to fully. Congrat's for playing to form!

I would have expected someone from the 'inner circle' to ask first and post second.

Please, visit your nearest mental health practitioner immediately - or perhaps get yourself a real life? It might help.

CarlD
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Carl...Is someone called "Most Journalists", as you claim to be, Hokey..Cheesy...and someone who's opinion didn't count, as in I don't give a **** what they think.....Would you then SEE something wrong?
Wake up!
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Sounded like an **** kissing contest to me!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
He's actually worse when he's dancing. He sticks out his chest and everything!

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Oh, CarlD, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. My mental health issue is clearly outweighed by your own as I was merely referring to the fact that I was too lazy to listen to it. In fact, to date, I still haven't listened to it.

You seem very tense and wound up. You will end up like Bobser if you are not careful.
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
I think you're being far too touchy Slim. I heard ALL of those comments and think nothing of any of them. It's only one man's personal opinion, who cares? Just don't buy his products.

I'm with Spinnato. A bit of nonsense. So what if he thinks that we're not as clever or important as we believe ourselves to be?

If anyone called Journo's cheesey (or mean-spirited, or devious, conniving or any other name you can think of) I would be adult enough to say that on the whole you were right. I see nothing wrong with personal comment. Even Salsa has a right to say what he did - and I have an equal right to defend myself.

So, all this aside, I think we have the makings of a good thread here. Why do you thnk he said what he did? What reason do you think was behind it, taken within the context of the interview?

Heh, Salsa. You could be right...But so is Bobser...

CarlD
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
One point I'm making is that he's changed. He's joined the Penn and Teller Club. Only those with shows in Las Vegas are good Magicians. Everyone else SUCKS.
Carl...Are you a cheesy Journalist? Or does that line form ...just behind you?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Slim, you are worrying too much. It is not like he sacrificed anyone's first born... did he?

That might explain his powers.
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
No I actually am very cheesey - and would like to think that I take pride of place at the head of the queue. Lying and deceit and a certain amount of crapness from time to time are inherent in my trade, in just the same way as it is in Mentalism.

He didn't say that you have to play in LA or you suck, just that many mentalists are a little bit geeky about what they do. I know a couple of the pro's here and in honest moments they will say that a lot of amateur mentalists are like comic or Star Trek fans at a convention (I am both BTW, but have never managed to find time to visit a convention), in that they have odd obsessions with things that are really of no consequence. I should imagine that Chriss gets his fair share of them and is thus a little weary. If weariness were a crime, many of the names who visit here to give their time would not visit at all. Chris just made the mistake of saying what he felt on a radio station. Not the wisest thing to do, but an opinion.

CarlD
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Slim, I can't say I disagree with what he said.

Speaking of magic, he said: "...most magicians present it in a really hokey, cheesey way..."

Of course I think he was taking liberties using the word "magicians" -- I'm sure in using the word "most" he's including everyone who refers to himself as a magician.

If the world of magic were a school I think it would be fair to say magic is filled mostly with pre-schoolers who never care to move up to even first grade, let alone graduate highschool. It's not that they can't, it's that they just don't have a serious, sincere interest in doing so.

As Criss stated, "...these other guys are like sitting there doing the same old nonsense that's been done for like, you know, it's a zillion years, and it doesn't really present itself in a fresh way."

The fact is there aren't as many Criss Angels and David Copperfields and David Blaines and Penn & Tellers in the world of magic because there aren't that many magicians who are sufficiently motivated to push magic in a new direction.

It's much easier to do Don Alan's "Invisible Deck" routine verbatum, rather than study the Ultra Mental deck and what it actually does and build a great, original routine that uses it in a new way. It's much easier to say, "Hold out your hand. No the clean one. Oh, that was the clean one." and get the easy laugh, rather than spend a few days coming up with a great, original line.

In this respect, the world of magic isn't that much different than the world at large: those who achieve great things expend effort. And they don't always -- though they often do -- expend outrageous amounts of effort, but the fact that they even try puts them head and shoulders above those people who won't even belly up to the bar, let alone do something...anything!

Getting back to Criss's comments, if anyone feels tweaked by them, I say that's a good thing.

By the way, I think that interview should be listened to by every person who calls himself a magician.

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
Hi John. Put far more eloquently than I could muster...Smile I agree too with your final comment.

I'm sure we all at times think that we should be given more recognition and respect from the pro's, but looking through many postings here it's easy to understand why we aren't.

As you say, only a very small handful ever get beyond just a bit of impromptu work. Nothing wrong with that of course, but we can't expect that just because we call ourselves mentalists that we should receive respect from the main players - until we EARN it.

CarlD
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Then in the same way it would be good form for me to comment on magicians such as Chris in intervuiws.

You guys know what I am talking about.
(The stooges the camera tricks more or less saying the telivition guys cannot do the real deal).

I think it would help really.
Make them look at themselfs and get better.

In fact any running down publicly from one of ours in the media runs all of us down. Good bad or other.

Make a specific attack if you have the guts to.
But don't play at a childs game like Chris feels the need to.

Heck this may be a good idea.
I have some chat shows I may be on in the end of March.
This could be a gaint hook.

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
There is absolutely no loyalty issue within any true art form. In fact, a great artist is almost obligated to criticize those who he feels are mediocre representations of his art form. Do you think Mozart spoke well of othr composers? One of Brando's motivations for becoming the actor he was, was his contempt for the wooden, old-fashioned acting he saw all around him. Dylan despised the velvety Pat Boone style of crooning, and it led him to change the world with his music.

The worst thing you can do for an art is be defensive about it. It keeps you from looking honestly at it and changing it for the better. My wife hates most magic shows. She thinks they're cheesy, shallow and offensive. Her perspective has helped me to become the outstanding magician I am today. Thank God she feels about magic the way Criss Angel does, or I'd never be the artist I am.

Thank you Criss Angel. You are more loyal to your art form than to the other people who practice it.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 10:04, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Her perspective has helped me to become the outstanding magician I am today.

You're being way to modest!!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It seems that most of you here with a positive view of Chis's statements do not consider yourself as part of "most magicians"....Very interesting!
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
Maybe he's hit a nerve Slim?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL