The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
What is great about Criss Angel is that he opened his own show in New York and has been playing that show for years. I guess that is way above anything anyone did that is on this forum. That is what makes him stand out. It's not like he did the normal thing and got shows for small venues or typical restraunt/party scene shows. He went all out. If vegas won't have him, then he brought vegas to himself. And it did work out... as he is now in vegas. Including being on the tv shows Vegas!!!!
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
This reminds me a lot of how the rock band KISS came into being. The band's first real peformance (as KISS) was in January 1973. By October that year, they were signed to a management contract and were recording their first album for Casablanca Records. KISS went from "zero to sixty" in just a few short months. February of 1974, they were on a national tour supporting the release of their first record.

You don't have to slug it out on the road. You can orchestrate fame. It's not easy, but it can be done.

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Guys, just listened to the radio spot. I AGREE with Criss 100%. What he is saying is very valis and very true. I think that his opinions will not change the minds of people who book GOOD working proffesional magicians and mentalists. If you do fall into the bracket that Criss suggests -- then you probably don't get a whole hell of a lot of work any way.

I'm going to relay a story to the forum here which I think speaks to the nature of the business that we do -- and the detriment that bad acts have to the art.

I recently was given a contact by a family friend -- he instructed me to call this gentleman and discuss the idea of having me perform at an event that his orginization was having. Bearing in mind now that I have been performing in my city for just over ten years. I agreed, called the gentleman and he invited me to his home. I went and I performed, I was on. I did some of my strongest close-up for this guy. I bent some silverware, I did the PCT to reveal the name of his first girlfriend, and I did a very simple booktest with their books. At the end of my performance he was speechless. He couldn't explain any of it, and he and his wife were both convinced that I was a farcry from anything theyhad ever seen.

"wow that was amazing, we would love to have you perform, the trouble is we already have booked another perormer for the main stage -- but we wouldlove to have you perform, how about you do some of your stuff for the crowd as dinner is being served?"

"Sounds great..."

"How much do you charge"

"$500 will get you an hour of close-up walk around magic and mentalism"

"How much for your stage show?"

"Starting price is $1000."

"___________(name ommitted to spare this man ebarassment) is only chargng us $500 for the stage show"

"And you already have him booked?"

"yes"

"is he good?"

(Wanting to scream from the rooftops that he wasn't. Then my morality set in...)
"He works a lot -- he apparently has a very polished show, his style is different from mine"

"We have already signed a contract with him -- so we're locked in, but we would love to have you do the stage portion next year"

"Great!"

So the night of the performance come around, and I KILL nearly 35 tables, in two hours. I was working for groups of tables, I was getting invited back to tables, etc.

It was time for Mr.X's performance(The particular performer is one whom we have had nothing but trouble with in my community. He happens to also run an agency, under which he contracts out several magicians. He undercuts the magicians that work under him. And has called my act "TRASH". In fact once he sat front row at one of my shows and snickered and rolled his eyes the entire time, trying to distract me.)

He did several very unfunny routines, starting with a lengthy and uninteresting monologue -- he then moved to ventriloquism, and magic to end. I was seated at a table that I was invited to -- and they were saying things like:

"You should be up there..."

"I have no idea what the hell this guys is doing"

etc....

His show was not good. And he did not get nearly the response from the crowd that he wanted. At the end of the night, the man and woman who booked me told me that they would be in contact with me later in the year for the shows next year.

The man then says..."It's just a good thing that you're not a Magician, I don't think we'll have another magician after that guy!"

Bad Magic -- gets us Bad press, no matter who is doing it! I applaud Criss for being honest.
xxx
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 11:45, John LeBlanc wrote:
This reminds me a lot of how the rock band KISS came into being. The band's first real peformance (as KISS) was in January 1973. By October that year, they were signed to a management contract and were recording their first album for Casablanca Records. KISS went from "zero to sixty" in just a few short months. February of 1974, they were on a national tour supporting the release of their first record.

You don't have to slug it out on the road. You can orchestrate fame. It's not easy, but it can be done.

John

John, I used to hang at the Coventry in Queens and after the shows we all went across the street to White Castle....lol

Were you there ?

They were some great times,
Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 10:39, chichi711 wrote:
10 years in Vegas will not keep him off TV. Only lack of money will keep him off TV.

Speaking of Blaine does he have a new special coming out soon?

Yes he does... from what I hear it will be awesome!

The problem with Criss Angel is that he states that he is good, and better than everyone else...He obviously forgot the magic rule to suggest things instead of stating them...
If he was really that good he wouldn't need to talk about other magicians, or about what makes him better than Houdini...

And obviously (he's on A&E) he's not better than Blaine.

The One
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I think a lot of that stuff is taken out of context....
xxx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OK..I give up! You win!
Icy_rabbit
The one
Sebastian Black
John LeBlank
Chi Chi
Troller
Salsa Dancer
Dr. Wilson
Seth
Carl
and the rest of you guys......(Not Jack)
YOUR MAGIC IS CHEESY HOKEY UNFRESH NONSENSE AND I DON'T GIVE A PLEEP PLEEP PLEEP ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!!!!!! (I'm not flaming here, just paraphrasing)
Just like Chris Angel says....Well, MOST of you.

You're probably just thinking...He's talking about the other guys, right?
Whatever happened to
MAGICIANS HELPING MAGICIANS?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Slim, any working pro will dmit that criss does have a point. Besides, who really does give a bleep what the rest of the magic world thinks. It seems to me that as a group sometimes we have a hard time dealing with the sucess of others. You always get rocks thrown when you're at the top of your heap! Originality in my opinion is the thing that keeps most of us down.This is especially true here...look at the ELLEN SHOW thread. Or honestly -- even at a lot of the replies to the things that JAck (your friend) does. Doesn't this make you wonder about the magic world as a whole? We are PETTY. It's unfortunate that a few loud idiots speak louder then those of us who actually have something valid to say....
xxx
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
You need to speak up then Icy if you have something Valid to say. That is why we are all on here. To here valid points.

I agree what Icy said about bad magicians. I have said it a thousand times that a bad magician is the hardest thing to overcome. How many of you have told somebody you are a mentalist/paranormalist/magician etc etc etc. The first response you get is a huge eye roll. That is not because of comments like Criss Angels it is because of horrible magicians. It is at that point you can either knock that eye roll out of there head with some powerful presentation, or you can tuck your tail and run.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Ok so you guys think Angel is a good magician?

If you side with him that is what you are saying.

I say he is a bit of a black pot calling a group of kettles black!

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 12:02, Sebastian Black wrote:
John, I used to hang at the Coventry in Queens and after the shows we all went across the street to White Castle....lol

Were you there ?

There in spirit only. Those who have the inclination should study the way the KISS machine was put together and run. It is a text book example of "making it" in the world of entertainment, plain and simple.

Quote:
On 2006-02-15 13:11, Slim King wrote:
OK..I give up! You win!

You know Slim, I thought you started this thread using hyperbole to make a point. I'm starting to think you're actually serious.

Anyone who is tweaked by Criss's comments should seriously ask themselves what it was that Criss said that was incorrect. Not what was impolite or imprudent, but incorrect.

Quote:
On 2006-02-15 13:15, Slim King wrote:
Whatever happened to
MAGICIANS HELPING MAGICIANS?

Obscuring or ignoring the truth -- however painful hearing it may be -- is not a way to bring art forward, if that's your goal.

Strictly from a business point of view, you should consider the progression we've witnessed over the years from people in the world of magic who have ascended the higher points in the entertainment world:

1. David Copperfield -- not a magician, but an illusionist
2. Penn & Teller -- not magicians, but "a couple of eccentric guys who have learned how to do a few cool things."
3. Criss Angel -- not a magician, but a mindfreak

Notice a pattern here?

By the way, rumor has it (as recently as Monday), Criss has a spot on the Strip.

John

J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
When it comes down to it Chris is of no value.

That is what I am getting here. His opinion does not matter so in my mind why support him.

If you do not like what he says bash him and chuck a stone at him to push him to the ground for he has fired the first shot.

I know I will. He belongs in Vegas for he could not play his poser games in real America.

In my opinion.

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 16:04, J ack Galloway wrote:
Ok so you guys think Angel is a good magician?

If you side with him that is what you are saying.

In your opinion, Jack. You're wrong, but you're free to believe that.

I can side with Criss's comments in this instance and go on to say he's a great entertainer; whether or not he's a good magician -- however good is defined -- doesn't have to have anything to do with it.

His audience wants to be entertained. He's where he is today because he's entertained a sizeable number of people.

Within the asylum here, we can debate the relative merits of anything he does from a technical standpoint, but it won't impact what ultimately matters: what the paying public thinks.

Phineas Barnum made an absolute fortune for him and Charles Stratton (both millionaires) by entertaining the public.

Quote:
On 2006-02-15 16:18, J ack Galloway wrote:
When it comes down to it Chris is of no value.

To you. And that's fine.

Quote:
That is what I am getting here. His opinion does not matter so in my mind why support him.

His opinion does not matter to you so supporting him is your choice. I have no problem with that.

Quote:
If you do not like what he says bash him and chuck a stone at him to push him to the ground for he has fired the first shot.

That's predicated on any of us having a voice big enough that it will matter. And I don't think that's nearly the case.

But, tilt at windmills if you must, Jack. Smile

John

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's obvious that you ALL think that Chriss is talking about the "Other" magicians. Your egos have blinded ALL OF YOU! He is talking about YOU!
I work with the film crew that filmed his appearances at Universal Studios. I work with these guys on a daily basis. I know the TRUTH.
No one has even come close to answering the question of Chriss's Mother.
One of two things are real....Chriss is Super Creepy for letting his Mother believe that he's been killed in a stunt ( A child was killed in a car wreck here in Florida earlier this month and her Grandfather collapsed and died of a heart attack upon hearing about it) ....Or.....Chriss has scripted his Mother into the show, which puts it on the level of a soap opera or professional wrestling. Why not just make a Harry Potter type of movie and call it real?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Slim:
Harry's not real?

Chriss is an entertainer, that is what he is doing. He says things, some I'm sure he feels, others (I assume)to bring more attention to himself. Unfortunately, many think the best way to improve their image is to tarnish others'. This is the history of show business. Houdini did this, Kreskin does this, one might say it is the norm. I'm not saying a agree with it, but it was going on before we were born, and will continue after we are dust. We can yell and scream until we turn blue, but that is not going to change what has happened. The best thing to do is take it as a challange and beat him at his own game. Prove the guy wrong.

On the mother, my vote is for the soap reference. She saw her son die, or almost die weekly last year, how long could she think it was real for?

I also like the wrestling reference, they all play roles, he is playing his role.

Just my opinion.

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Slim I am losing track of what bugs you. His performance? Or are you upset about what he said? The thread is titled. "Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! That is why most people over looked the "mother" thing.

If you would like my coments on it. I think it is either a really mean thing to do, or she was in on it.

Slim overall Criss Angel has made people talk about magic in a positive way. He has probably helped you more than he has hurt you.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 22:45, chichi711 wrote:
Slim overall Criss Angel has made people talk about magic in a positive way. He has probably helped you more than he has hurt you.

Like the old saying goes, "a rising tide caries all boats."

John

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
If you've read what I've written in the past I'm not saying that controversy(sp) is Bad. I've heard Chriss call David Blaine OUT and I loved it. I like Chriss Angel. But he's changed. He's now on top of the pile. He's on The Strip. He's changed his perspective.
I like the guys on this Café. You guys have really helped me in many ways. Some day when I finally move into "Psychic Entertainment", I will credit all of the Cheesy, Hokey, *%$*%^7 people that have helped me.
The bit about Chriss's Mother is a small deviation from the topic but it does relate to his attitude and hypocrisy.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Slim did you listen to the interview at all?
xxx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'll bet everything I own that I've listened to it more than anyone on this thread! Why do you ask?....Feeling guilty?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL