The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On 2006-02-16 18:24, Carlos the Great wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-16 17:44, Rudy Sanchez wrote:
In CarlD's defense, I took Salsa's post the same way. I realize now what he meant but reading it the first time I thought he was directing it at CarlD.

Rudy

So Rudy, would you agree that by saying you realize now what he meant you are really saying that you read the words on the page and just took them at face value??? Or, put another way, did you start putting other words into Salsa's mouth even though he didn't say them? An honest answer, please.

-Carlos

I wouldn't say that I put words in Salsa's mouth but I will say that somethings don't quite translate on the written page as they would if we were speaking in person.

Rudy
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
Honestly gentlement, I've apologised to Salsa and we're done. No sense in you having words because of my error. I thank you both. I was a prick, that's the end of it. Things are a little tense my end, no excuse.

Shake and walk away...go on...you know it makes sense....Smile

CarlD
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Slim, I assume you feel you could do a better job than CRISS Angel (please start spelling his name correctly) as clearly you are suffering from a bout of jealousy. I think you have missed almost eveyr pointon almost every level of the show. Like it not it is helping magic.

In the radio link we have coming from Penn "When your show airs our ticket sales go up" now you mention that this is the "Las Vegas Boys Club" but I am sure when the show airs it helps "working" magicians just as much.

When can we see your attempts at television magic?

Andrew Richmond - I think you may be under estimating Angels live performance skills. Look at what he accomplished in NY. Look at his fresh take on "old" illusions. I am sure Criss can make an impact on LV and certinly will not be forgotten nor looking into a mirror claiming he is the best. Reagrdless of "everyone" prefering Cirque shows Angel will be in Vegas for a long long time and will have left his mark and in my opinon furthered the art of magic for it. I think at the end of the day its about bringing an art form in line with poular culture. Something not many of us here at the Café ca say we are doing.

Criss Jones.

"You Wish your were the mindfreak"
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Chris Jones.

You have now spelled your own name two different ways. Yet you are getting on Slim for spelling Criss Angels name wrong. I find that funny.

Your aviator says Chris Jones

At the end of your post you put Criss Jones.

Which one is it?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Chichi
He is spoofing CRISS Angel.
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Sorry slim had confused me...after all it is a hard name to spell...

Chriss.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Well, I looked for this but could'nt find it.
I got the jist, though.

I've been looking...all I can see is "Big-foot" wearing a bath robe and various outfits.....
Anyway, I'll respond to the original poster.
Get a life! Grow a thicker skin! Go practice at getting better at your performance...rehearse or something! Go fishing! You get the idea (and don't make the mistake of taking it personally! Heck, I don't even know you!).
As if Criss (I hate the spelling of his name, sounds like a some stripper's name...of course, there are plenty out there who might wish he was! yikes!) is sitting around thinking about "gee, I hope I didn't offend anyone with those offhand comments!"
I don't like Criss Angel's "character" that much. Way too "serious" for me...I tend to start laughing at him after a while. Too mellowdramatic for me. At the same time, I totally think he's a great entertainer. The man knows his job. I do think the videos are a stupid idea. You can overmarket/saturate too much...that can be a poison. The public gets bored fast, and I hope he doesn't become a "fad" like Blaine (who I'm sure wishes he wasn't, either!).
Criss, like Blaine, is good for my business. I pride myself on being original and not some "sport-coat" cheese magician. He helps keep the public's mind open to new kinds of our art-form. I'm glad he speaks his mind. After all, are we artists or politicians?
I ran into Penn a few years back at Jay Marshall's roast (he wore the only sport coat I ever liked) and Penn asked me: "Chris, you are'nt one of these magicians, are you?". I laughed and answered;"no, an entertainer of sorts". He said;"good, I hate magicians!". Some may have heard him say roughly the same lines, however, for those who haven't, maybe there's some truth in there....I know for me there is!
Chris (the other way to spell this name, although most are glad I'm not a stripper!)
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Can't find it either. No longer on the site?
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Yay! Sanity! Thanks Chris!
xxx
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
Yep:)

CarlD
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2006-02-17 12:51, chris mcbrien wrote:
I do think the videos are a stupid idea. You can overmarket/saturate too much...that can be a poison. The public gets bored fast, and I hope he doesn't become a "fad" like Blaine (who I'm sure wishes he wasn't, either!).

Well, I'm not sure there won't be overmarketing and saturation. That's sort of necessary in today's market. The issue always seems to be are there legs enough to sustain marketability. I think, in Criss's case, there are.

Most importantly, Criss is handled by David Baram and The Firm. They are multi-tiered in their management strategy, which seems to have worked out pretty well for some of their other clients like Kelly Clarkson, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Martin Lawrence, Vin Diesel, Snoop Dogg, Jennifer Lopez, Samuel L. Jackson, Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson, and Leonardo DiCaprio. The Firm bought Artist Management Group and Integrated Entertainment Partners -- two significant entertainment companies. So The Firm is not exactly a couple of greasy guys in cheap suits pitching ideas to networks, hoping something eventually sticks to the wall. They create sustainable brands.

I believe people who think Criss is nothing more than a constructed, flash in the pan are in for a rough ride. It's good to remember even KANSAS and The Monkeys lasted a number of successful years.

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Well said, John.
Although I stand by my over-saturation point, and that I personally just don't care for the "teaching dvd" thing as a marketing tool (it's not that I don't think they're good...don't get me wrong. It's the fact that EVERYONE seems to have one, and it's almost seems passe sometimes) I do agree that he's handled by good people. His marketing works. I'm talking about oversaturation in the terms of "over specializing/nitch marketing"...Criss Angel merchandise that gets to the point where people get sick of it because they can't escape it.
As I said, I do hope he is'nt a "fad", and that he's around for the long haul. I will also stand by my personal opinions of him. I do believe there is a certain amount of hype that's "flash in the pan" that's necessary. You have to have that "overnight success/must see tv/you've never seen anything like this before" P.T. Barnum quality to get it going. Overall, Television is a glorified sideshow, is'nt it? At the same time, there are steps to making a sustainable brand. I do believe his originality in his artistic approach take care of that quiet a bit.
Chris
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok lets examine one thing.

Slim is right. The reason is more from a point of view that if you want to make yourelf better, you can't do it by calling someone else worse! This is poor sales and very bad form.

That being said it does NOT mean Chris is wrong! He can say the right thing in the wrong way.

The public DOES percieve magicians as lame no doubt! It makes table magic tough in approaching a table and doing the first trick. They associate you with a "birthday" party clown or kids entertainer. This is a fact and is not in dispute.

Lets be honest with each other there are a LOT of quite bad magicians out there who are working in the public. WE have a tolerance for bad magic, the public does not.

I happen to believe David Blaine, and Chris himself on some level fall into this catagory squarley. Does he believe anyone thinks the things he does with the camera in any way constitute magic? Look at his brothers reactions and things like that, pretty "lame" if you ask me.

The first thing I would do is if I had a TV special (which admitadly I do not) is to get some speach classes to get rid of the lisp he has. That is so bad it drives me nuts.

So I guess I agree with all of you. He definatly can not build himself up by tearing others down. BUT at the same time, in doing this, it does not automatically make his point incorrect now does it? There are indeed a lot of quite bad magicians out there. And on some level I believe he falls in to this catagory.

Oh and before someone gives me the "well HE is on TV" arguement I know he is. But to put it in perspecitve cable TV is only accessable to less than 40% of the country. Even smaller numbers world wide. He is not reaching a huge percentage of people even with being on TV.

He has a show on A&E and apparantly has season 2 comming up. He entertains "his" audience, which is all that can be asked of any performer. He must be doing something right.

BUT he can't tear others down to make himself bigger. Even if he may be right!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Where is the never criticize a fellow magician in public rule here. I would like to know where the "big boys" stand on this. I know I have seen it posted here never to do so.

Just a thought.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
EDH, I don't think Criss was tearing others, he never mentions anyone by name. And how exactly does him telling people on the radio that he is not like other magicians ( the truth, cause he isn't) make him bigger? I'm a little confused....
xxx
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
On some level I think Criss is simply trying to seperate himself from the "traditionalists" in magic...at least the "traditionalist stereotype" of the magician in the tux/sportcoat/houdini wannabe and is trying to be an artist in the sense of originality. I think he sees the "tried and true" effects out there and wants, like many of us, to go into uncharted territory. I can totally relate to this. I think most of us want to be original and don't want to be "knockoffs"...which perhaps "cheesy" may be a very "polite" term for (I could use some really impolite terms for the "knockoffs" out there....I think Criss may be politer than I am on this).
We're never going to all agree on the expressions of another artists...which is why we're all artists ourselves...we all have our differing opinions which make us who we are, unique performers. I respect Criss for being an original performer. As for the "don't knock other magicians" rule....it's never really existed. This is a competitive field. This is business. However, to a potential client, you should not "knock" another performer....let them do it themselves! I have witnessed on more than one occasion where a performer lost a gig because they spouted negative things about another magician to a potential client. Then the potential client has told the performer who was "knocked" how professional they were for not doing this to the performer who did the "knocking"...and they got hired to boot because of this "chivalry".
Was Criss talking to a potential client, or was he sharing his artistic vision in an interview? Maybe he was sharing some of the same views that even the poster who started this thread felt when they ditched the typical "magician" attire and donned a fez, grew the chops and became...essentially...themselves! (I like how his character looks...love the fez!)
In other words, I think Criss was just expressing that he wanted to be "different"...
Chris
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks for the compliment! But The Professor isn't me. However, I think that Chris is pretty much Chriss. I could be wrong.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Wow, this is great, I just toss out these half baked and kind of fractured ideas and criss elaborates on them and makes them sound fantastic!

Do you write opening monologues?

Speaking of those, how many of you out there use them in your shows?
xxx
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I do Icy

Jim Callahn
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
And do we think that they ar eas effective as a piece of mentalism right off the top?
xxx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL