The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 09:15, John LeBlanc wrote:


The fact is there aren't as many Criss Angels and David Copperfields and David Blaines and Penn & Tellers in the world of magic because there aren't that many magicians who are sufficiently motivated to push magic in a new direction.



I would say that there are actually a lot of magicians that are better than Criss Angels and David Copperfields and David Blaines and Penn & Teller. (I am not one of them yet). The problem is a lot of times it comes down to who you know. The other problem is TV wont support much more than this. Honestly most people wont watch these shows, so why throw on 10 more of something people wont watch?

On a side note. I get bored watching a lot of shows in Vegas. To me a lot of Magicians in Vegas are over dramatic and boring. That is my opinion. I am not a layman so bottom line is my opinion of Vegas shows means nothing. All that matters is what layman see.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 10:15, Slim King wrote:
It seems that most of you here with a positive view of Chis's statements do NOT consider yourself as part of "MOST MAGICIANS"....Very interesting!

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I have a positive view of what Criss said. I'd say I wouldn't argue with it. Truth smarts sometimes.

As for me, professionally I don't represent myself as either a magician or a mentalist. I neither suffer from the dogpiles left by those who don't take this stuff seriously, nor do I do damage to either artform when I have a bad day. At the end of a corporate event, my stage name either goes up or decreases in value. Then I go home and do a crossword puzzle.

Becoming famous is not rocket science, but it is tedious. Not everyone wants to be famous, and not everyone who does is willing to dig ditches.

John


Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:32am
------------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 10:18, chichi711 wrote:

I would say that there are actually a lot of magicians that are better than Criss Angels and David Copperfields and David Blaines and Penn & Teller. (I am not one of them yet).

You have to both define "better" and then put it in context. A "magician's magician" means nothing in the real world.

Quote:
On 2006-02-13 10:18, chichi711 wrote:
The problem is a lot of times it comes down to who you know. The other problem is TV wont support much more than this. Honestly most people wont watch these shows, so why throw on 10 more of something people wont watch?


And how do you "know the right people"? You get out there a "do it." You have to take massive amounts of action. Woody Allen is variously quoted as saying, "90% of life is just showing up." The fact of the matter is, most people don't want to show up. They want all the benefits and accolades of showing up without actually having to do it.

I hope no one thinks Criss Angel was born into this world with a silver media spoon in his mouth. Same goes for Blaine and Copperfield and P&T and...on and on and on.

Quote:
On 2006-02-13 10:18, chichi711 wrote:
All that matters is what layman see.

Bingo.

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
Sorry Slim. I certainly count myself amongst the 'cheesey', and until public acclaim says I am otherwise, that's the opinion I will continue to hold. Not one of us can assume that we're wonderful until we've actually 'made it'. If we do then we're dead before we leave the house to perform.

Can you truthfully say you aren't cheesey? Or can you only say that you hope you aren't?

Chichi has it right too. Vegas shows are dull and over the top. But whether you or I could do better is meaningless, they're up there, we are not.

CarlD
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
John yes you have to get out there and meet people. I agree with that 100%. Often times in all entertainment business it is luck. WHo was there when you showed up and did your thing? Take acting and singing for an example. You don't think that there is talent out there that has gone unoticed? I promise there is. I can also promise you there are people that have made it because of who they know. Take Ashely Simpson for an example with that. Ashley is probably the worst singer I have heard, yet she sells millions of albums. Unfortuantly for most people they can't afford to work for free for 5 or 6 years trying to make it. That is life. SOmetimes you get your one shot. You just have to hope the right people are watching. If they are watching you might make it. If they are not watching you can go dig ditches. Luck does have something to do with it. I would not say it is as easy as just showing up.

What I find funny about this thread.

Many magicians on here just bash the pro's over and over again. Take the Ellen thread for an example. Yet the second a well recognized magician calls the rest of us hacks we get all upset. It sounds like a lot of envy to me. That or sometimes the truth really hurts.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Chi,

The difference is this is a forum not a public media venue.

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 11:25, J ack Galloway wrote:
Chi,

The difference is this is a forum not a public media venue.

Jack

H.12/O.17A-X



Sorry Jack, but this is a media venue that is open to the public. It is the same, in fact this is far more accessible than some American radio station.
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
"Sorry Jack, but this is a media venue that is open to the public. It is the same, in fact this is far more accessible than some American radio station."

For once I have to agree with Salsa.
In fact you made this comment elsewhere too Jack, that what we do here is somehow locked away from the prying eyes of the public and will do nothing for our 'fame'. A very high proportion of those here are just lurkers, here to learn 'mind tricks' on the sly, and they will carry the word about the clever and the not so clever here with them. They see you for example doing a TV show at some point in the future, and they can't help their opinion of you being coloured by what you have said and done here.

And as Salsa says, we have a reach far bigger than many radio stations. Nobody can say that what we do here has no repercussions, no matter how small, in the 'real' world.

CarlD
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 11:37, CarlD wrote:

For once I have to agree with Salsa.


For once? If you have read through some of my posts as you claim, you will realise that I speak sense ALL the time. I don't know why there is a witch hunt against me? Is that you dad?
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
LOL! Yes, it's me son:)

Carl
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
1: If Mr Angel was a nice guy, then perhaps he still is.

2. Every entertainer since the beginning of religions has thumped his own chest to the detriment of other entertainers, claiming 'I am Best'...it's what we do. It is meaningless and shouldn't be taken personally.

C: As a group, We ARE all the adjectives we can muster, and more. Good and bad. Individually, now that's a different thing.

4 - Doing good magic doesn't make you a good magician, it makes you a good performer of good magic. (I have no idea what that means, but I thyink it's going to be a chapter in my book.)

E - Angel's strong style will burn out quickly simply because he has locked himself into a non-sustainable style that the audience will get tired of seeing.

F....we're all cheezy, at some level, because of the base duplicity required of our Art...if not, we'd all be the equivalent of Mother Teresa.

G. Cheezy is funner than not-cheezy.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
I must add that you have posted some (intentionally) blindingly funny comments at times...Smile

Carl
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This Café has 20K members...Many with more than one Alias. Radio stations reach many many more people than that! And how many really read the PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS threads. They are listed. Not that many. Most repeat viewers too.
So, this really ISN'T that public a forum. Jack is right.
He slags the Café types on a public forum. Most Magicians just SUCK to him....but please buy this coin in a can thing he's got for sale!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
How many people find The Magic Café using google searches for magic questions? This place will probably get more direct hits by people looking than a radio station will get listeners caring about what is being said.

Besides, all magicians that are not me are rubbish.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm glad to see you fighting back!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Carl,

If that is the case that some one should find my postings here via a search it will be of no value for I have only helped and at the same time exposed nothing.

I will admit my sites do have an effect on those who see me live or contact me for work becouse of them. But that is what they are on the web for.

But by the time anyone starts looking for me here my manuscript package will no longer be for sale and the link below for the lectures and the manuscript package will lead to a dead end.

I would point out no one will be searching for Jack Galloway.


Jack

H.12/O.17A-X
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 12:20, salsa_dancer wrote:
How many people find The Magic Café using google searches for magic questions?


Cut and paste the following into a Google search box, hit enter, and note the number one position in the results:

"Gerry McCambridge" censorship

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
Smile

Carl
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
This is actually a funny thread, for several reasons. First of all, most so called magicians are NOT despite what they want to fool themselves into believing. They are magic enthusiasts and just as with Sci-fi conventions and most every other convention including the Shriners, they are geeks, most of them self admitted ones. To claw your way to the top and stay there, one does have to believe in one's own talents AND have an ego because without it you will not get to that point. (There is a difference between having an ego/beleiveing in one's own talent AND being a complete jerk too).

The main thing involving Criss, David Copperfield and any other PERFORMING magician or mentalist that IS a working professional is that they really don't give a rat's behind about what other magicians think of them because that is not where they make their money. They are there to entertain LAY AUDIENCES, those very lay audiences that spend millions of dollars every year to attend their performances, buy their T-Shirts and programs and watch them on television, giving them high ratings and ensuring more millions into their pockets.

Should you be insulted because he thinks most magicians are dweebs? And before you answer that, any professional learns to have a thick skin or they will not last long working in this business we call show.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I only know a few Magicians. Most of them work Cruise Ships. I would not say that their performances were Hokey or Geeky, unless they wanted them to be. Some have shows here in Orlando. They rock! The Theme Parks have some VERY talented Magicians working there. Some hotels have great Magicians, as in the Gaylord Palms. There are cool Magicians at Disney's Boardwalk. All Great. Not really too many LOOSERS that I've met. Certainly not MOST MAGICIANS! I think that a few peoples EGO's have gotten the best of them.
Like my father always said..."Don't believe your own press!"
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
molehill
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of molehill
I really can't pick anything that is insulting, or offensive. At best, it was promotional and marketing blurb, but nothing to take to heart.

But to placate those that may have been offended, I have just had a prolonged mental battle with Angel. He is now nursing a glass of aspirin and feeling sorry for himself Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here's what Chris Angel "really" thinks about "you!"! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL