The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Here's a patter for you (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I used this yesterday as a children's sermon. The Gospel text was Mark 1:40-45. Jesus heals a leper.

The effect is on Jay Sankey's 22 Blows to the Head DVD. It's called "Resistance is Futile." It's a mentalism effect. You show a handful of cards, all the same, but for one. example: 9 jacks of clubs, one queen of hearts. You have a volunteer point to a card, but they are supposed to avoid the odd card. You will do your best to make them choose the odd card. They freely point to any card, can change their mind many times if needed. You reveal that this card looks the same on the front, but the back is red, while all the other cards (queen included) have blue backs.

LESSON
The leper looks different on the surface, and by law, had to segregate himself from society. (More age appropriate words depending on audience of course.) People would try to avoid them at all costs. But there are things that matter to God that we can't see by looking at someone. We can't learn a lot from judging based on looks and outward appearances.

I didn't go any deeper than that, but the same theme could be used for avoiding bad influences - "one of these people is different from the rest and will tempt you to try drugs." The freely chosen card turns out to be the "bad guy" because the bad guy never announces himself, he always tries to blend in. (Court cards better, since they have human faces)

Not exactly Gospel, since it's about our choices, not God's actions. But usable nonetheless.
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
Hey, thank you. Your further development is a great idea for presenting morality to young teens.
Peace and God bless,
Vinny
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
RevLoveJoy,

Want to make sure I understand the effect... do they end up not choosing the Queen, but rather it is the card they chose (one of the 5's) that ends up being the odd backed card?

I like the Patter idea. Thanks. It has the brain brewing.

Any ideas for next week's Gospel?

RevJohn
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
You have it right. They pick any one of the "same cards" - it always turns out the be the one with the different back. They think they spotted the odd card by the face, but didn't know they were really drawn to the one with the different back.

If you mean this coming Sunday, I'm not planning a magic children's sermon (I don't do them back to back, only occasionally) but an interesting aspect of the story is that the four had to cut a hole in the roof for access to Jesus, but then the crowds separated easily to let them out. Hmmmm.... I know I can get a routine for that!

If you mean Transfiguration Sunday, I'm not that far ahead yet. ;-)
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Most assuredly this Sunday... not to Transfiguration, yet. Though, some great possiblities there.

Reading another Children's sermon about using a blanket and carrying the person to talk about the guys carrying their friend to Jesus spurred this idea:

Card through the silk/hankerchief. One card is selected, representing the friend. The cards represent the crowd, not letting him near Jesus. The silk, the palet (or blanket). The card going through the silk can work as the hole in the ceiling.

Still in its rough draft stages... but that is one idea.

RevJohn
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I like the card effect with the hanky. We have done the carrying a person about on a blanket before for this lesson.(very effective). But how fun to follow up with the card trick in hanky!
Can I use this?
Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Please do... anything I post, if you can get use from it, feel free.

RevJohn
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Well, I used the Card through the Hanky today as the Children's sermon and it seemed to work well.

Hardest part is that the kids like sitting up right next to me, so I have to be very careful about the angles on most of the effects. Fun challenge though!

RevJohn
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I think I am following you.
Doug Howe
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Doug Howe
How about using a "coin through dental rubber" to tell the story of the paralyzed man going through the roof. It's close-up magic, but it still drops a few jaws.
-=> Rubber Dougie <=-
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I LIKE it. I can't believe I forgot about that effect. What a great one!

Thanks Doug.

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Here's a patter for you (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL