The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Code of ethics... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I need your advice on this one:

I recently had a magician come into a restaurant where I'm currently performing and pitch the place, even after having been told that they already had a magician working there. The performer has also approached other restaurants where I'm currently working and has done the same thing. He went as far as to make balloon animals for the staff and even asked them how much I charge.

His manager phoned me and was adament that this was just proper business practice and welcomed me to the world of competition. Because I don't want to unnecessarily slander anyone, I won't name names, but just want to find out if it is against our code of ethics as magicians to pitch a place that another magician is currently working at. Does anyone know for sure if it is indeed against the policies of the IBM? Moreover, what would you do if this happened to you?

Thanks for the help!

Alym
Logic Defied
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 14:06, Alym Amlani wrote:
. .... He went as far as to make balloon animals for the staff and even asked them how much I charge....
Alym

In Texas he could go to the chair for this alone!

However as you are in Canada, you will have to combat him with polite put downs and malicious gossip.

Good Luck.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Interesting manager to send someone to do such a thing.

Sadly, what passes for a code of ethics he merely the waving of impotent wands.

It was crass of the guy to do what he did, and yet we live in crass times.

Perhaps one of your friends might have a word with him on the side and discuss the "if you were in my shoes" aspect of the situation.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Its against my code ...his manager sounds like a creep...voodoo time!
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Well......I'm sorry but I guess that's what its goin to be like. You'd either have to beat the guy or be beaten.
That reminds me, I gotta reserve some more spots before that guy moves down to the west xD.....after I graduate *cries*
Good luck with your thing Alym. I'm sure you are more than competent enough magician to show them that you are better then the other one.
If not, talk to the guy. If he has that much experience in magic, he should know how to be polite to other magicians better.
mikep
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
327 Posts

Profile of mikep
The guy is a total $#@. if you have proven that you are good at what you do then the restaurants hire him. I think it is time to remind your restaurants how good You are and how much You have done for them. Put yourself in the spotlight.
mikep
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
327 Posts

Profile of mikep
The WOW factor is what you need to show them and the other guy will die in your shadow.
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
I think that's low. I might try talking to the guy one on one.
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 14:06, Alym Amlani wrote:
Does anyone know for sure if it is indeed against the policies of the IBM?

It looks like his behavior could possibly be seen as a violation of "#2" of the joint IBM / SAM code of ethics...

------------

All members of the International Brotherhood of Magicians / SAM agree to:

2) Display ethical behavior in the presentation of magic to the public and in our conduct as magicians, including not interfering with or jeopardizing the performance of another magician either through personal intervention or the unauthorized use of another's creation.
------------

You could see if this person is a member of either organization, and contact that particular ethics committee to inquire about dismissal (and/or other) procedures. I'm afraid however, that someone who disrespects another performer so much, would have no qualms (and therefore not be threatened by) being disassociated with these organizations.

MS
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Thanks so much folks - and my job is safe - the restaurant was actually kind enough to bring it to my attention and told me about what happened. They actually were rather shocked that another magician would try to do something like that. I have yet to hear from the magician himself; when I do and find out what he has to say, I'll then take the appropriate action - be it consulting with the magic circle, or by writing an open letter.

I'm not one to drag someone's name through the mud unnecessarily, but this type of disrespect has to stop. The best part is, the manager said the fact that I had asked the magician to not approach restaurants I was working in was like Kmart asking Walmart not to sell clothes...at the time I didn't really have an answer to it, but now that I think about it, it's more like Kmart trying to sell their clothing IN Walmart...oh well - I'll keep the board posted about how it goes.
Logic Defied
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-15 00:30, MichaelSibbernsen wrote:...It looks like his behavior could possibly be seen as a violation of "#2" of the joint IBM / SAM code of ethics...

------------

All members of the International Brotherhood of Magicians / SAM agree to:

2) Display ethical behavior in the presentation of magic to the public and in our conduct as magicians, including not interfering with or jeopardizing the performance of another magician either through personal intervention or the unauthorized use of another's creation.

If only that rule had any meaning to magicians as far as their behavior.

I sent a note about such a problem to the IBM ethics committee chairman and he fluffed off the issue.

If YOU hold that rule to be valid... then of course you have dropped any magic of questionable provenance from your repertoire, and stopped associating in any way with anyone who has not dropped such items, and stopped buying from anyone who has put their name on a "variation" and stopped buying from anyone who has published or sold such a product.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'd call the guy straight up and ask him if he'd like me to contact anyone he's been working for and offer them a better deal? Sounds like he isn't working much if he's after your gigs, but maybe he'll see that you could take some of his work away if he continues with this attitude.
Turnabouts Fair Play...???
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
The manager is right it is competition. If you look out in the business world companies are trying to increase their market share. For example Coke and Pepsi. Coke is in one restaurant chain, Pepsi salesperson will try to compete with them and take away the account.

In my world the mortgage industry competition is even worse because you have a ton of companies competing for the same market. A good example of this is if I called on a person who said that they were working with a competitor of mine I would recommend they should get a second opinion from me I would review their rate, fees, and the program to see if they did indeed get the best possible deal they could get.

Now is that fair – maybe – maybe not but, it is done every day of the week. It seems to me that in this case the restaurants that you are servicing are pleased with the service you are giving them and the price they pay you. If they didn’t they would have hired this other magician.

And if this guy is just competing on price then you can always say you get what you pay for.

Some of you may not agree with this but this is a business isn’t it? And businesses must make a profit don’t they? Just my opinion.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
As Sid Lorraine used to say: "The Brotherhood of Magicians is more "Hood" than "Brother".

- entity
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 10:30, gman wrote:
The manager is right it is competition. If you look out in the business world companies are trying to increase their market share. For example Coke and Pepsi. Coke is in one restaurant chain, Pepsi salesperson will try to compete with them and take away the account.

In my world the mortgage industry competition is even worse because you have a ton of companies competing for the same market. A good example of this is if I called on a person who said that they were working with a competitor of mine I would recommend they should get a second opinion from me I would review their rate, fees, and the program to see if they did indeed get the best possible deal they could get.

Now is that fair – maybe – maybe not but, it is done every day of the week. It seems to me that in this case the restaurants that you are servicing are pleased with the service you are giving them and the price they pay you. If they didn’t they would have hired this other magician.

Well said.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Invite him to a "Bird Hunt"
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
I think all you can really do is to show the world how much better you are.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The suggestion about discussing the behavior with the manager and the other guy, the "how would you feel" approach seems sensible.

However, remember ethics and character are personal choices. You choose to be civil, ethical and demonstrate your good character. The other person will be and do as they please.

What you can do is simply be a better person. Be more attentive to your audience and deliver a better quality of entertainment.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Thanks Jonathan,

The fact that the restaurant told me about it and, in fact, laughed at the fact that they were still pitched made me feel a LOT better I have to say, it's just frustrating to see that type of behavior in the 'hood...
Logic Defied
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I like the Bird Hunt idea....LOL
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Code of ethics... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL