The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Barbie Doll levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

emotepix
View Profile
New user
Sherman Oaks, CA
2 Posts

Profile of emotepix
Hello all, Chris here.
I recently saw a closeup prop illusion performed wherein a small barbie like doll was levitated in a shoebox-sized set, complete with hoop.
Having children myself, I was wondering if Abbot's or the like might have something like this, or if it was a custom effect.
Thanks!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
This is the Mini-Asrah illusion. Generally, I haven't heard many good things about this product. I understand the doll is extremely cheap and ugly. I also heard that the cloth designed to cover the doll is extremely stiff and unnatural. And, to top it all off, the levitation just doesn't look right. This is a product that my local B&M dealer has officially told me not to buy.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
madmaxa
View Profile
New user
Serbia and Montenegro
62 Posts

Profile of madmaxa
You can look at Coin-Asrah illusion at Hanklee.org, it sounds cute, and it can be done close-up. It is classical Asrah illusion, but instead of a woman, you use a coin, with little pillow (instead of bad) and small cloth.
Life Coaching and Covert Hypnosis Coaching in Serbian or English language.
Serbian website: http://www.newera.co.rs/
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The Coin Ashrah can also be found on Ammar's ETMTM. I just can't remember which of the 3 volumes it's on.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
emotepix
View Profile
New user
Sherman Oaks, CA
2 Posts

Profile of emotepix
Thanks Guys
After having done a little Asrah research, I remember that the Barbie doll in question was not covered with a cloth, simply laid onto a model platform. However, the set box did have side walls, which I presume were there to restrict sightlines. I guess the gimmick was built into the doll?
Thanks again!
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
I saw the Barbie doll levitation at a magic shop and did think too much of it.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I own this effect,

It is okay but I made some changes.

o Got a new cloth and sewed the system into it
o Went out and bought a new barbie because the one that came with it is friggin U-G-L-Y!!

You can also use the base from this for other effects, at the end of my asrah I turn the barbie into feathers.
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Hey MagicalOdyssey, got a vid of this?

thanks,

Jay
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Hey Jay,

Thanks for your interest. As of right now I do not have a video for it sorry. But if you google it "Mini Asrah" you can find a picture or two and also on yahoo vids I found 1 or 2 decent videos of it.

Magical Odyssey
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Hey MagicalOdyssey
I've tried to search for Mini Asrah on yahoo videos and came up with a blank. What did you search for to come up with the decent videos?
Thanks!
Cheers
Chris
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Dear calimagician,

One time I searched it was "Mini Asrah Illusion"

and the second time was " Barbie Doll Illusion"

If I can relocate the movies I will post how to get to them.

Magical Odyssey
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
The http://www.trickery.com carries this doll asrah. I bought one and it has been one of my set for small children. Add the mini fog machine and effect lighting and you have an effect you can really play up! I keep another doll in the original box in a box on the other side of the room. Sometimes children really want to know where the doll went???? I show them that she is back in the box and they are very happy.

Thanks for the opportunity
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Hi Joe
Just tried your link and eventually came up witn abracadabra com. A search for asrah revealed nothing at all.
Is this the correct link?
Cheers
Chris
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
No I am pretty sure it is not the correct link but if you search "buy Mini Asrah" on google You can usually come up with the shops that sell it.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
If no one has found a vid I have just made a small home one on my digital cam if interested PM or Email Me!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Joe:

Glad you're happy with the Mini-Asrah. I had one and it was a piece of junk. My doll changed into confetti and I never bothered to change her back.

I would think you could make your own and come up with a much better effect.

Jim
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Chris PM me I have a vid I made./
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Barbie Doll levitation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL