The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » San Diego (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Hi all. I'm not new to magic, but I didn't know where else to post this question. For Spring Break this year, I plan on taking the family down to San Diego. I always make it a practice to drop into the local Brick & Mortar stores and to spend some time checking out the local magic scene.

Through my internet search, I've only found one magic store in all of San Diego (The Magic Shop). Is this the one and only store? Are there any others I should consider visiting while I'm in the area? Also, are there any restaurants or other venues where I might go and watch some magicians in action? Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
I was in San Diego for a week last year at this time, and their wasn't anything out their except for the Magic Shop. I know that Brad Burt lives out their in San Diego and he might have his shop up and running again. It wasn't at the time when I was their, but I did get a chance to talk to him and that was one of the highlights of the trip. He has probably forgoten more about magic than I will ever know.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks. Is the Magic Shop any good? I checked out their web site and it looks like it's mostly stuff for tourists. I'm hoping there's some stuff there for serious magicians as well.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yo,

Nope, Brad doesn't have a shop open any more. Sorry. The Magic Shop is a fairly nice 'tourist' shop set in Seaport Village. You really want to check out the Village, the shop is what you would expect in most tourist locations.

About an hour out from San Diego in Escondido is a new shop that has opened. It's so new I just can't remember the name, but you can get it from Directory Assistance. I've heard good things about it, but I have not been their yet myself.

Sorry I'm closed, but health issues and burnout after 33 years standing behind magic counters just got to me! I can now write up my essays on magic and get my videos transferred to DVD! Neat.

All best,
Brad Burt
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks for the update Burt. And best wishes in all your future endeavours.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
Hey Kent-

Here is a thread on San Diego Magic. If you scan down to the post by Syd Segal made last August, that pretty much sums up a good overview. Syd gives the website address for the magic shop that Brad mentioned.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=75

One thing Syd left out was JC Wagners website address if you wanted to get address information for Little Club. But you mentioned coming to SD with your family. Please keep in mind that Little Club is a bar and all patrons must be twenty one or over. http://www.jcwagnersmagic.com

Matt
Bardin
View Profile
New user
Jenison, Michigan
46 Posts

Profile of Bardin
I visited San Diego last year and The Magic Shop.

The Magic Shop isn't much of a shop. It has more gag stuff then magic and the people that I encountered behind the counter were teens that didn't seem to know how to perform magic.
Bardin
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
Bardin-
That would be correct for the shop that is in Sea Port Village, although a few of those teens are actually pretty good, others are not.

However the Grand Magic Shop in Escondido and the Trick Shop in Temecula are real magic shops with good inventory and working professionals behind the counters.
The only problem, it that both are abot 45 minutes outside of downtown san diego.
Bardin
View Profile
New user
Jenison, Michigan
46 Posts

Profile of Bardin
Oh, Matt, I thought he was asking about San Diego and the "Magic Shop?
Bardin
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Great info! Thanks a lot everyone. I will have the use of a rental car while I'm there so I may check out some of the shops in the surrounding area as well. Cheers!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Well, I just returned from San Diego. All I have to say is what a beautiful City! The kids (me included) had a blast at Lego Land, Seaworld and the Zoo. They forecasted terrible rains on the day we were scheduled to go to Seaworld, but the rains held off until late in the evening. As a result, however, there were absolutely no line ups! Imagine less than 5 minutes to get on Atlantis!

I also checked out The Magic Shop at Seaport Village. The person behind the counter certainly knew his products and was able to demonstrate them with a solid degree of competence. He also asked the right questions to find out my level of ability ane experience. Although the product selection is rather limited, the service was very good. I picked up some much needed supplies at a decent price, and I bought the kids some decent beginner's magic at the same time.

I didn't get to make it to JC Wagner's place since I got in late on Saturday. From his website, he only works the bar on Saturday afternoons.

Anyways, it was a terrific vacation. Thanks everyone for all your helpful guidance.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » San Diego (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL