The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Eye Contact and Misdirection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jimmy Arson
View Profile
New user
New paltz, NY, USA
8 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Arson
So I've only been doing magic again for a few weeks now, but I'm already noticing a few things.
I feel like my misdirection is more powerful when I am less constant with eye contact. At first, I would practice a move until I didn't need to look (always a must), however, I would then rarely break eye contact with my audience (usually only a few people, if more than one at all). I found that after a few seconds of eye contact, my audience assumes I'll keep looking at them, and their attention goes then directly to my hands.

As I worked on my patter and presentation, I got so specific as to choreograph my eye movements. I watch friends, and see when in casual conversation someone looks the other in the eye, and when they look away, and where. Its REALLY nuanced. If I keep my eyes moving, less frequently on the spectator, when I do look at them, the gaze is more powerful. A slight head, or chin movement will draw thier eyes up, then I make contact, then back to the cards. I try to control my looks to the cards so I only do it when my hands aren't moving. The spectator follows my lead at first, but eventually is bored after they don't see the cards moving when I look at them. From this point on, I keep my patter faster, and can better manipulate when they look.
In short, a stare down (as Blaine often does), won't work for my misdirection. I don't have the "mysterious" eyes for it. Smile

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Does anyone else get specific with their eye movements in their routines?
-Jimmy Ace
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Welcome to the Café... Be sure to check out the... Misdirection Resource Center
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
NeoMagic - Thanks for the link to the misdirection resource. The article Choreographic Misdirection is good.

Jimmy,

You should try to get your hands on a copy of Juan Tamariz's "Five Points in Magic". This is an excellent resource and has really changed every aspect of my presentation. If you need some help with eye contact and direction he covers it extensively!

-Tony
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Here's something I quite often use to demonstrate misdirection.

If I am with someone who wants to know more about how magic works, I will simply point and look across the room without saying a word. 9 times out 10 the other person will turn their head and look to see what I am pointing at.

I then explain to them that they were just an unwilling participant in misdirection. Without saying anything, only using body motions, I was able to make them look where I wanted them to look. I also point out that while their head was turned I could have done something just inches away from their face and they would not have seen me do it.

This is a simple example, but it is also a very powerful example. It is not so much keeping eye contact so they do not watch what you are doing, it more about controlling the spectators eyes to look away at the apporiate time.

Break a Wand,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Jimmy Arson
View Profile
New user
New paltz, NY, USA
8 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Arson
Thanks a lot Neomagic. That Misdirection resource Center is really great!
-Jimmy Ace
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ My pleasure!
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
Thanks NeoMagic. I just checked this site and it is fantastic!

Thank you for the opportunity
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1346 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Very nice site.
thanks

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
I have been into magic for years now, but I like that site, a must read I do think. Thanks again

Daz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Eye Contact and Misdirection (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL