The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Last Minute Show (organizing) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Not really last minute, but close enough. I have added one more show to a series of theatre productions I am doing in my region (2 to 3 hrs away max). The show is a neighbouring town so travel is not a worry however preparation is somewhat. I have been trying to cut down on unnecessary advertising and focus on getting attention for the show by visiting schools and through newspaper press releases.

Here is my plan for this show: The event is March 11, doing two shows 2pm & 7pm (auditorium capacity 270), that leaves three weeks or so.
Have posters placed ASAP.
Do three press releases, one each week for there paper. Hopefully and usually some kind of story gets run.
Arrange a meeting with three schools, talk to principals about doing a mini-show a day or two prior to the event. Also pass out flyers to the students through the schools and give away some free tickets after mini shows....close to 30 free tiks per school.
Mass Mail the week of or before the show,

I figure if I give away some tickets then students will have to bring family to the show as well which will generate sales.

Any other ideas.....?
There is no radio or TV to help either. Town size is around 5000.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
There is nothing like a publicity stunt. If you time this so that the weekly paper gives the stunt coverage in the issue on sale the week of the show, that gets people interested. Direct mail is very expensive, you have to carefully evaluate whether it is worth it.

I don't know what sort of performance you do; I have had good luck with publicity escapes. If you don't do escapes, use a local celebrity to do some magic.

Newspaper coverage is odd. If they like the story and photo they run it, if not, no. I have had what I thought were delightful stories, which they didn't run. Other things that I thought would do OK have caught fire and been on the front page. It will be hard to figure out why.

Also, instead of or in addition to free tickets, try 2-for-1 tickets, limit one per family. One of these might bring in two or three full-price admissions.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Last Minute Show (organizing) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL