We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Slim's Torches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
My, oh my! I just got a couple of sets of Slim's Torches. They are beautiful. They are true professional tools and every serious sideshow performer should have a set. I will put mine to good use. Slim made me two sets. The other set is for a TV magician that will be eating fire (after I teach him) on the second season of his show.

Once again, these torches are everything a fire eater could want. Send Slim money and get yourself a set today.
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
*cough* criss angel *cough*
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Todd, thank you for the endorsement! I'm proud to know they are in the best of hands.
Slim
I wish I had pictures to show them... I'm a proud Papa <G>
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
magiGlen
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magiGlen
Would it be possible for anybody post a picture of these torches please?
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Well, I will have to see these Smile

Also I have to say thanks to Slim for helping me with fire eating and blockhead Smile

Daz
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
How do we go about acquiring these works of art?
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
Either send an email, sansan@tds.net, or a pm. He'll tell you how.

Jennieprice
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Read Below.. Go to the bank and get a money order for $80 total (75+ 5 for shipping) Send it to the mailing address below, be sure to put a return address so Slim knows where to ship them to, and you will recieve a set of 3 (awesome) torches.

"At this stage I will only take orders paid for by money order, sent to:
Jerry Pickard/Slim Price
General Delivery
Quartzsite AZ
(928)927-4499
<sanscan@tds.net" -Slim Price

Quote:
On 2006-02-19 18:13, Hernan wrote:
How do we go about acquiring these works of art?
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Or refer to Jennie who gets the post in before me. grr.. Smile
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
Well, what can I say. I'm just the better half, (Mrs Slim.) I also get to hear all the old stories 10 times a day, but then I get some much needed beauty sleep. (G).
Anyhoo, the torches are great, and Slim really does put time and effort into each of them. (I'm not just saying that either. Smile)

JenniePrice
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There is now another fire eater in the world today. And he is using Slim's torches. Slim, Criss was so happy, we tried calling you a bunch of times but the phone was always busy. You will be hearing from him soon.

Once again, these are lovely torches. Anyone that know what they are doing as a fire eater should have a set.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Thank you very much, Todd... One of your students sent me a very nice order, based on your comments. I'm sorry I missed your phone calls, getting us on the phone is catch and catch can at best. At the risk of bending Mr Brooks' rules I'm reposting the tale of the torches here. The "Red Heads" are the only source of income we have, so they get my full attention. Note that now we are using PayPal <sanscan@yahoo.com>

Slim’s Red Head Torches
These torches are made strictly for the professional. The “red head” is cosmetic.
When I first started making these about 30 years ago, the purpose was to make an all purpose torch without compromise. They are made to look like they belong to a professional, with very long lives. The red head is meant to make the torches always look fresh and ready to be a suitable prop for any show. The handles are rosewood, brass bound and can be removed to cut the torches to a length that suits the user. The staffs are brass and the heads are intentionally absorbent to keep them usable for all of the moves a fire eater might do. Included is material to recover the torches and genuine gold wire to finish binding the head They are only sold in sets of three so a full act can be done. The torches do not contain any synthetic materials so there is no dangerous melting possible. Slim’s torches are becoming collectors items, which makes me very proud. A set (3) will cost $75.00 plus $5.00 to offset shipping and handling costs. I agree, the price is high, but due to the materials and time involved it is necessary…
Slim Price

Note: These torches are very absorbent. This is to allow squeezing of fluid onto the tongue and hands for the many moves you will be able to do with them ... At first, I suggest you only briefly dip the torches in your fluid, so as not to wet then excessively … Using these torches will not keep you from being burned.

The torches are made overlong, so they can be cut to a length to suit the user. Just remove the handle, cut to your length, and tap the handle back on the shaft… At this stage I will only take orders paid for by money order, sent to Jerry Pickard/Slim Price
General Delivery
Quartzsite AZ
PayPal <sanscan@yahoo.com
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Beautiful torches Slim! I shouldn't post this 'cause then everyone will want them and they will be "everywhere". But they are great. I will likely use them tomorrow night when the local paper comes to interview me.

I also get to tell them I learned to eat fire from the great Todd Robbins--who just taught a certain longhaired TV magician how to sear his face...er..er...I mean eat fire.

Ahhh...no matter...it is all an illusion anyway. I use that "cold fire" made by Theater FX.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Thank you Jeremy... I appreciate good feedback and learn from the other kind. I don't want to make too many, just for the ones who know how to use them right and respect them. I'm working on new "notes" now but they won't be easy to get...Be patient, you are at the head of the list...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Slim,

I pm'ed you a few days ago. I am looking for more info regarding your torches. Please contact me here on the Café or email me at brentallan@email.com.

Specifically, I am looking for a picture of the torches, information as to what the head is made of, etc. I work Renaissance festivals, so I need to make sure these look suitably "period appropriate."

Up until now, I have been making my own torches out of shish-kabab skewers and wicking purchased from Brian Dube. I would like something a bit more durable, professional looking, and that I don't have to re-wick every other weekend.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I have said it often... I have no pictures, nor do I have a budget that will allow me to take pictures. I also do not have a DVD out. Sorry...Slim
PS. Maybe some of the owners of the torches will contact you.
sanscan@tds.net

The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
And I think you should keep it that way. Like a priceless object in a museum. They don't let you take pictures of those either.

I have made mine out of dowel rods, kabob skewers and even coat hangers. I bet my life Slims are far superior to anything I have made and I don't have to see a pic of them. Slim I would like to place an order. I'll write you. And as far as durability, have you ever seen a side show? What a grind. They are going to have to outlast the ones I make out of virgin cotten. However, if you are using Dube Kevlar wicking I don't know if anything can outlast those. I have used kevlar wicking but it made many effects difficult due to it not absorbing enough fluid.

Slim is the following still correct?

Jerry Pickard/Slim Price
General Delivery
Quartzsite AZ
(928)927-4499

$80.00 for 3? Money order only?
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Heh, I might have seen a sideshow... I worked the shows starting in 1949.. I still remember my first torches. I made the heads out of an old green wool sweater, and gradually reduced it to nothing. the staffs were coat hangers, And the fuel was gas, stolen from the Ferris Wheel. For your own reasons, I'm anti-Kevlar. My heads are a cotton I chose because of the absorbancy. The secret of longevity is not burning them,just the vapor. The torches are recoverable (material included) so they always look fresh. 30 years of learning and a love for the art has gone into these... I wanted to make torches that worked for all the moves, and looked like they belonged to a profesional on stage... These do.. I even incude real gold wire for final binding.
Slim
PayPal is sanscan@yahoo.com
sanscan@tds.net

Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Just curious. How many burnings to you expect these torches will take before they need to be recovered?

Slim, as soon as I get some money put into my paypal account this weekend, you'll be getting my order. I'm already sold, I am just trying to get some more info.

Also, once I place my order, how long will it take you to ship?

After I get my torches, I will be glad to post a picture online for others to see.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I know you have seen a sideshow, silly. I was talking to the fella that wanted a pic of them and asked if they were durable.

Slim, I have said this before, but many many years ago, back when I was the only person I knew in the whole city that had a passion and love of side shows, I found you sideshow discussion website. You helped me just by making me feel like I was normal in my interests. Your knowledge has never ceased to amaze me and you giving spirit is unequaled in any art. Thanks Slim. I'll send the paypal as soon as I remember my login details. It has been a while since I've used the darn thing and my memory ain't what it used to be.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Slim's Torches (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL