The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » At the Mountains of Madness - Docc Hilford (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I finally managed to get this booklet, and it looks like a lot of fun.

Docc outlines an entire bizzare routine based on H.P. Lovecraft's novella. The routine sounds strong. I have not yet performed it, but will be looking into an opportunity to do so. Many of the effects are seance-type effects dressed up in an "experiment" setting. The routine seems to be optimal for a group of 10-20 "participants".

When I figure out when and where to try this one, I'll report back. Smile
What is the color of magic?
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Profile of petethecreeper
It amazes me that Lovecraft isn't used for influence in Bizarre magic as much as say Poe, Stoker, or Shelley.

His stories scream Bizarre.

The other thing I like about them, is that they are marvelous examples of leaving an audience wanting more. His creatures, when they finally appear in a story (if at all) are described with impressions and glimpses. That's it. Writers like Steven King and Clive Barker overdo it with the descriptions of gooey, nasty monsters. Lovecraft lets the reader's imagination take over.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I agree. Subtle, maddening, supernatural horror...what's not to love?

I'm working on my bizarre magic character. I think that a Miskatonic University professor away on sabbatical could be perfect.
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Very cool.

A character patterned after Randolf Carter, or Herbert West or even one of the Whatley boys would be super creepy.

If you were REALLY gutsy, an incarnation of Lovecraft's Nylathotep (a malevolent, otherworldly being posing as a magician) would be a neat twist.

By the way...have you ever visited this site?

http://www.miskatonic.net/pickman/mythos/ Smile
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
A few years ago Joe Givan did an entire evening based on H.P. Lovecraft stories. It was excellent and quite spooky. So, it is being done, just not widely used, I guess.

- Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

In some ways, it's all for the better. It just makes those who use H.P.'s work as an influence that much more special.

-Pete
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Great site, Pete! Thanks. Smile
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I just got the Hilford book as well. Its excellent! I can't believe he sold it for so cheap...it makes me want to say, "Who are you, and what have you done with Docc?"
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
He hasn't really been the same since he fell asleep next to that pod...
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
I had the chance to read this manuscript and I liked it!

Even if I never perform it, its an excellent study on theater. With a little thought you could take many different stories and make them like this.

(personally, I just want to end a show by running, screaming from the room).

-Dave Cross
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Now that's an interesting thought...beginning your presentation as someone who is (somewhat) in control of the events taking place...and then ending a seance or similar routine as a "ruined figure" (exhausted, injured, insane...take your pick). Smile
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
That's exactly what At the Mountains of Madness is all about. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » At the Mountains of Madness - Docc Hilford (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL