The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I am learning a sponge ball routine which starts with 3 balls in the pocket and one hidden in the shirt fold of the left elbow. My problem is that I wear levis everyday and I find it hard to surreptiously retrieve the balls from my pants pocket. If I wore a jacket, as called for in the instructions with the balls in the outside pocket, it would be easier. I don't want to wear a jacket.

Anyway to overcome this (No, I'm not going to wear baggy fit levis. At 58 yrs. old, I would look slightly goofy Smile Thanks.

Don
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Try a pouch or apron

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
If the jeans are tight, then I suggest you stick it in right near the opening of the pants poket. that way you can steal it wth your thumb and don't have to stick your hand in all the way.
I steal sponge balls lightening speed this way during my stage ball manipulation act.
Good luck with it. If youare having troubles pm me.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
You could use your watch, a wallet, hat, an apron, a small belt pouch, a coin purse, TT, or a light jacket (like a windbreaker, fleece, etc).

Even if your wranglers are 'cowboy tight' you easily steel multiple sponge balls- just work on your body movements to make the moves more natural while standing and talking.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I'll try it with the balls near the top of the pocket. I wear relaxed fit jeans so they are not real tight. Guess I need to just experiment.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Ah.
Well, all you need is enough friction between the balls and the pants pocket so that the sponge ball wouldn't slide down; and you are wearing jeans. So I think it should work. Smile good luck!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I won't perform sponge balls in jeans. Might be a good idea to switch to slacks, like I did.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
You are only as old as you feel. Try the loose fit Levi's I think you will like them. Or look for "Relaxed Fit" Levi's. Not the Badggy Style...Check'em out and if that don't work there is always "Dockers" LOL!!!

Good Luck
RJ
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Dockers still don't seem to have the right fit, for sponge work. I often wear relaxed fit jeans, but I can't work out of them. Some golf pants work well.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I wear my jeans cowboy tight and I just put the balls right there at the top, no problem at all.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Gregory Wilson has a place called the "*** stop" which is found on his "on the spot" and on carl andrews 2 cups and balls DVDs.

unforutunately they are not sold by magicsmith anymore.

look on ebay. or here at the Café for a used copy.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I do sponge balls all the time in my shows. I always have on dress pants, or khaki shorts in my animal show, but they are all loose. I have the same problem with jeans-its like learning the handling all over again. Loose jeans or just wear dress pants more often. I know that when I pick out dress pants I do so with my sponge ball routine in mind-I like the pockets in a certain place and a certain feel to them-sad isn't it?
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Quote:
On 2006-02-19 23:02, rikbrooks wrote:
I wear my jeans cowboy tight and I just put the balls right there at the top, no problem at all.

This... this is a test, right? I mean, you were all... "Hey, watch the innuendo" and I was like... "Sure, no problem" and now you... I mean here... y... you wrote... awww... This IS a test, right?!

O2OYou, I'm pretty sure the jury is split on us old guys wearing loose-fitting pants. I doubt that the audience will find a 58 year old whose jeans are so tight he can't use the pockets any more appealing than the relaxed-fit alternative.

If yer gonna do "walk-around", wear something you can "walk around" in...

Regards,

-jjg
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I don't think I would ever try to do sponge balls when I am wearing jeans. The pockets are too tight. When I perform, I either wear a sport coat or a leather blazer jacket I own.

I also don't do card to pocket in jeans for the exact same reason.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Ok. Ok. I guess I'll just wear clown pants and solve the problem. Actually, if I were performing in public, I wouldn't wear jeans anyway. I'm beginning to regret even bringing this up. Smile
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I am proud of everyone resisting the obvious gags though Smile
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I were jeans almost all the time. They are not relaxed fit and are not a problem.
Tip: if you need to make a steal, use the back pocket.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I used gregory wilson's idea (that I mentioned above) extensively
on wednesday and it's not only convient, it's natural and effective.

and the back pocket is great too.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Hi oso2you,

How about a vest?

You can get vests with nice roomy pockets.

Vests are a nice compromise between having no jacket, but needing those pockets.

And a nicely cut black vest looks sharp!

Douglas M.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL