The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
I have a few tips for practicing. I personally avoid the mirror. It provides a bad angle and it's too hard to focus on doing the trick and seeing how it looks.

I usually get a person I can trust to watch and then tell me how it looks. You can also tape yourself doing the trick to see how it looks. This is a tedious job, but it's one of the best so you can self-critique and immediately know what to fix. So how do you guys practice and do you have any tips?
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
There are many threads already existing on this topic. I suggest you do a little search, you will find some great answers.

I do the whole mirror thing by the way...
thanos4182
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of thanos4182
I videotape myself. Not only does the camera not lie but you can go back and look at certain effects you might have forgotten about.
Tommy1324
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
104 Posts

Profile of Tommy1324
I generally practice just by doing magic for fellow employees or passengers at the airport where I work. Just don't tell my boss. Smile
Tommy1324
redlinewes
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of redlinewes
I usually practice in front of a mirror or my family. I also use the neighborhood kids to practice as well.
DarkArts
View Profile
New user
Singapore
25 Posts

Profile of DarkArts
For me, yeah I use a mirror to practice. Or sometimes I use my trusted friend or confidant to review my tricks...
Smile
"HuMaNs SeeKs MaGiC pOwEr WhIL3 EY lIve"
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
I use a camcorder. Thought I was doing pretty good till I taped it and looked at it.
Film does not lie!! Smile
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
I use a close-up mirror. This mirror is actually three mirrors connected together. Practicing with this kind of mirror setup allows you to check all your angles.
Edmund_Fitzgerald
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Edmund_Fitzgerald
I practice sleights on commuter trains and subways. Most everyone is asleep or not paying attention. I just keep repeating every day. Works for me, although I have to do the patter in my head to avoid really annoying people.
---Magic: Its priceless. Its inside you. ---
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
I videotape my self. I also show someone that will not tell the trick and I use a mirror.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Video taping is great because you get to evaluate yourself as an audience, as opposed to the mirror which is always good to use, where you perform and watch at the same time. The best thing for me is having a magic buddy. I also love mental rehearsals. I go through a mental script which involves my patter, my sleights and subtleties and also possible ad libs when problems arise.

Peace,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Camcorder.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I also use the close up and large mirror.

I know some professionals who practice during their show proper.
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
I use a large mirror and then when I get the routine down I videotape it.
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.."
Oscar Wilde
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Bob Sheets gave a lecture at the Castle the other week and mentioned that performing in front of a mirror can have an adverse affect on yourself.

He wouldn't name the person but said that 'ticks' can develop because of the way you check yourself out and possibly through things like 'muscle memory' and stuff you start moving in certain ways which harken back to trying to 'see yourself' and angles and such in the mirror.

Video cameras are cheap today. You don't need a fancy one.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Katmando
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Katmando
I use the three mirrors to catch the angle. I have thought about the camcorder but have not gotten around to it.

Later <><
NealCoffey
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
28 Posts

Profile of NealCoffey
Webcams can be had pretty cheaply these days, $20 or so, and are good for watching yourself from multiple angles (move the camera, try it again). The frame rate is a little slow on them, though, meaning any tricks involving fast motions (like a snap change) may look better on a webcam than they do in reality.
eazy4me
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of eazy4me
Me, I practice for a mirror. Smile
Mr Pies
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Mr Pies
I tend to break the trick/routine into sections and pull out the things I feel are the important points. These can be sleights or misdirection and focus on those and build the rest of the trick and patter around them. To practice a trick you have to understand the trick from the inside out and how it all fits together. I constantly play with the patter. I have a script and then add or delete bits as the whole thing comes together. Once I'm pretty confident with it I will videotape myself, I tend to avoid mirrors and then perform to a few close friends. It may seem a bit long winded but you do learn if the effect you are trying to learn is for you and will suit your style. Hope it helps.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2002-11-24 23:43, Talon wrote:
I use a close-up mirror. This mirror is actually three mirrors connected together. Practicing with this kind of mirror setup allows you to check all your angles.

If I could afford it, I'd take the best of both worlds and use 3 camcorders at slightly different angles ! For now, 1 of each will have to do.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you practice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL