The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thought Transmitter... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I have a Cornelius TT to trade if anyone is looking for one.

Higley
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1835 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-02-20 10:41, icy_rabbit wrote:
I've heard that the pendragons use this in their stage show.

I saw their show and have to say that I am almost sure a thought transmitter was used. Jonathan has someone from the audience draw a sign or symbol on it. When Charlotte comes back on stage they have a huge poster paper on a board and she duplicates the spectators picture...When I first saw the effect performed that is what I thought it was, now I am sure..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1234 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I LIKE the TT. Mind you, I once tried to open the battery to see if it could be replaced easily... (We can't buy replacement battery packs in the UK... Okay, I admit it, I'm a tight Scotsman!) The result was my office - and me - covered in a thick layer of some strange, black powder.

In my show I refer to it as a PostIt wallet, when I use it, and it has never let me down. I take it back, momentarily, to replace a bright red elastic band around it (and take a peek obviously) and then place it back in the participant's hands. I even saw one clever cookie get the participant to drop it into a clear plastic bag so that nobody could get at it! (Try THAT with an SUC!)

Of course, the whole thing is disguised though - I use it for the Magic Square, and it has to be opened to show that I really have got it "wrong".

Best wishes,

Drew
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Drew:
Those are some really clever thoughts.
Thank you for sharing.
You're not alone in your love for the TT.

Tony
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Drew

I perform a similiar magic square like you mentioned in your post. I love my TT and personally think it is the BEST peek wallet out there. Absolutely no manipulations involved. I love the use of the rubber band.

Thanks
Sly
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
I too have used the TT for years. I never had a spectator ask to inspect the wallet. I try to answer their question before they ask it so I introduce it as a wallet for my business cards and that's it. although I love it and have used it with much success for quite some time I have put it to rest and now use alternative methods (billets). if you are starting off and need something almost fool proof go out and get it immediately.

MIKE
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
414 Posts

Profile of boinko
I, too, have used the TT, but I've moved on to the Stealth Assassin and the Outlaw.

Stealth Assassin, BTW -- it's fantastic. I use it as my everyday wallet and have modified it slightly to better do what it's supposed to do. (There are actually several pretty easy mods you can do to the SA to really kick it into high gear.)

My problem with the TT is that nearly everyone sorta figured out that it was some sort of gimmick. With the SA -- and because my SA is gradually looking quite worn -- everybody just figures I'm using it because that's where I store my business cards.

BTW -- if anyone is interested trading for my TT, drop me a PM.
melish
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of melish
J.C.'s TT was not robustly made...i had to repair mine right out of the box.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2006-02-20 11:00, icy_rabbit wrote:
See, I never really found ths item overly practical. Seems like a lot of prop for an effect that can be done propless...

I like the thinking, but I feel the same way!
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Quote:
On 2006-03-11 11:19, boinko wrote:
Stealth Assassin, BTW -- it's fantastic. I use it as my everyday wallet and have modified it slightly to better do what it's supposed to do. (There are actually several pretty easy mods you can do to the SA to really kick it into high gear.)
BTW -- if anyone is interested trading for my TT, drop me a PM.

Hey there - I enjoyed reading your post on the thought transmitter. I also have the stealth assassin wallet - and am in love with it. I am using shortlist (with a postcard as the reveal) as my workhorse, its a fantastic routine. I'd love to hear about the modifications you have made to the wallet though, do you have any advice for maximising the value of the wallet?
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
I love the TT. I use it all the time. I have a routine with two TT's, one gimmicked and one normal. I have packed the normal one with cardboard so it feels exactly the same as the gimmicked one. The spectator and I each write a thought on a postit note inside and then swap wallets. We then each put an elastic band around the wallet. While picking up the elastic band off the table I hold the TT at waist level and hit the button. I just glimpse down to make sure my thumb is in the right place and it's working, I don't try to read anything at that point. Then I raise the wallet and put the elastic band around it, instructing the spectator to do the same. Handling it in this manner with two hands hides the "something" mentioned in a previous post that sometimes gives the TT method away.
The TT is a great prop.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1234 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
All mine are slightly modified - the ESP card thing gets placed behind the battery pack, because I find it easier and less obtrusive when pressing the button. Also, I don't use the silly little PostIt square. Instead, I cut a pile of the bigger PostIts to size, fitting it in so that it looks just like a PostIt holder. Then the elastic band (thick and red)and a Sharpie to draw the circle where the partcipant is to concentrate his thoughts and his energy... and we're off. While I'm "doing my thing" the participant is standing, with the PostIt holder With it's elastic band round it) sandwiched between his hands. Additionally, the top sheet (the one the participant wrote on) can be torn out and slapped onto the whiteboard (which means you have a logical reason for using PostIts) while I go through the Magic Square, constantly referring back to the PostIt.... Howzat?

Drew
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Sounds like we use the TT in a very similiar way. I guess it's like all props, you have to make them your own to feel comfortable with them. The message from both of us seems to be that the TT is an effective tool.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1119 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Nice ideas Drew, cutting post it notes to size is an excellent way to make the TT more natural, also like the idea of using psycholgical force first to sneak the TT into play and give it less importance.

I also wanted to mention that the problem with the gimmick giving a 'tell' et the moment of activation can be avoided by the angle you hold the TT at as you do it. You need to kind of angle the 'openings' toward yourself (and the hand holding it covers one side) and the spine towards the audience. Practice in a mirror and you will soon discover the key moment can be covered with minimal effort.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I love the TT, I just wish the ba**ery p**k was concealed a little better. Mine protrudes out the back of the case quite noticeably, and since it's nowhere near the same size as the notepad inside I think it's very suspicious looking. Just an opinion.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Evil Dan is now doing a new leather case for the TT
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Garrad, Any chance you have a link to the new leather case for the TT?

Mark.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Guys:

I know I started this thread in February....

But....

Get the outlaw...

you can do the work in any lighting conditions, close-up. stage. etc....

and it is soooo clean...

check them out.

The outlaw beats the snot out of the thought transmitter, leather or not...
xxx
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I have and use the Outlaw. I feel it is the best peek device on the market right now.

But, I also have and use the Thought Transmitter. There are some occasions where it is a better fit. Look at Justin Miller's fantastic routine on the Live at the Jailhouse DVD set for a wonderful use.

Tony
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thought Transmitter... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL