We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Costumes in bizarre magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
The costume must be in keeping with the character of the performer. My character is that of a collector, who does not exactly know what is going to happen. He is an everyday guy, and must dress as such.

There is nothing wrong with a Goth look, a wizards robe, blue jeans, or even dressed as a zombie (which I have done and really enjoyed!). As long as the costume and personality match, any costume may be a success.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
When doing an all white outfit I immediately think of how Colonel Sanders (of the KFC fame) used to dress. This could work if your character is a southern gentleman who is a collector of dark antiquities. The only problem is that you wouldn't be able to do any thread work for obvious reasons.

I do admit that wearing an all white robe and hood could get you in trouble though.
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
The Zombie idea! you wouldnt believe it but i have always wanted to do a zombie routine. the problem was i couldn't figure out a character that would be a zombie. pleas PM me with ideas as it is something I think about every day at least once. in fact I am shocked that you mentioned it!

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
As a zombie wouldn't you be expected to move really slow, smell "delicious brains" a lot, and occasionally drop a finger or earlobe? Any dialog past "grrr...argh" or "mmmmm...brains..." would seem to be a stretch to me too. Just curious about how else you could interpret this type of character.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Quote:
there are people my age who dress this way not becaus there magicians but just because they want attention. i see these people wherever I go.
Jonathan

Well--don't all performers want attention? How will they make money otherwise?? Isn't that the point? Your "character" is to attract/distract/scare and get people interested. There are tons of goth-teens running around new orleans (why--I don't know) And there are goth adults too (who perform and don't).
Remember there is a psyche of people who perform (this applies to me too). They need to perform for attention, or acceptance...Just like actors or musicians. (not saying we don't enjoy what we are doing).
Smile

Ellen
Harryandersonfan.com
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
The zombie was doing line entertainment
at a haunted house. You’re right, not much
dialog. Alternated between doing semi-scary effects and making teenage girls scream. It was a blast and went over quite well.
I would not, however, recommend it for a full evening show...

Dave
cogliostro
View Profile
New user
Tampa
99 Posts

Profile of cogliostro
Two warnings about costumes. For those of you planning to use theatrical contacts, I have two words for you -- TUNNEL VISION. I lost a lot of my peripheral vision, which meant I periodically walked into people, and didn't always see someone off to the side. The could be a killer if angles are important to a trick.

Next, no one else has mentioned this one, but vampire fangs are always a subtle costume accessory. Effect, portable, never make you sweat. The problem I ran into with these, was that periodically I would lisp. Didn't happen frequently, but it doesn't help you build suspense/tension.

Rob
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

o man i never thought about unnel vision. as for the vamp fangs at my haunted house we did this thing where someone would be telling a ghost story and at the finally he was shot by a cowboy zombie. when he got back up his face was ghostly and he had billy bob teeth instead of his real teeth his next line was "so next time when you wander into a western town and sombody tells you a ghost story you better make shore that he isn't in fact the ghost himself"

Jonathan

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Wow. You know, I'm tempted to do an all-white outfit (and I mean *all* white, albeit different 'tones' of white for vest, jacket, tie, fedora etc).

Keep in mind that in a lot of cultures, white is the color of death, not black. I'll wager that someone out there can get some mileage out of that. Besides, think of the impact you could have showing up at the local goth club in all-white Smile

Now, thinking about the *other* colors out there... Smile

Greys, greens (mmm... greens...) and other darker or dark 'jewel' tones could work as well - especially if you can luck out and find a subtle tone-on-tone pattern with a suitably wierd subject matter...
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
...and in our culture (the good ole USA) we call someone dressed all in white or other jewel tone colors ....

....A Pimp!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
You know, I'm *still* trying to nail down when 'pimp' became a good thing in our culture.

Anyway...
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
I have actually stopped trying to dress in a particular way or adopt a certain persona when performing bizarre, don't get me wrong, as I usually wear dark colour anyway.

One of my best gigs was at a B-B-Q for someone famous' daughter, as they were in caual dress I wore Jeans, a plain blue T-shirt and a denim jacket. But it was when I took my Jacket of that things got interesting I have a tatoo's on the inside of my forearms one is Runes and the other is chinese writing.

But I heard someone say "He wears them for protection from evil and I know all about that stuff"
Actually the runes spell my name and the chinese writing is me wifes name.

I got a lot more bookings after that.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Early 1900s garb is great for effect. It brings in the traditional seance type enviroment.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2002-11-26 16:01, Dark illusionist wrote:
You can't go wrong with a black leather trench and blue jeans. dose anybody use theatrical contacts? Smile

Yes, I have a booking agent, a manager and I know an usher in a movie theatre.

Oh, you mean lenses.

Never mind.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Quote:
On 2004-01-06 01:34, mplegare wrote:
You know, I'm *still* trying to nail down when 'pimp' became a good thing in our culture.

Anyway...

I'd tell you but would surely get knocked off the board. We live in a precarious time when the truth is NOT welcomed.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
(As you know Dark) I dress in Renaissance clothing in some form most of the time and when I perform, bizarre or otherwise, I wear full out Renaissance garb of black, green and brown (my character's trademark colors). I have performed in all black before but I've moved past that, feeling that so many do it. I am a large man and black looks better on me, but color helps to further separate me from others.

Also, I have trademark colors for my character, I can theme certain props to those colors and they blend into my show. I even use green paper for the Osterlind Center Tear and it enhances my performance in a small way because people do unconciously notice. Black can be boring.

Just my thoughts.

Mythically,
Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
I use white with gold for my Egyptian dream and sand reading, scholarly tweeds for seance work. I am heavy into patterns and blues for costumes to "hide" thread. Too goth is not welcome in corporate clients.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

WOW. I haven't posted on this site in a while. Today I come back and my thread from ages ago is back on top. I just got this awesome body armor looking thing. I found that from the stage I look like a black figure with a white face so the idea of the silver over the black is to make me more interesting to look at. I am also trying to find a place where I can get boots with a bunch of nails sticking out instead of platform boots. I would match the bed of nails.

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
My look:

Black slacks, socks and shoes,
black 'collarless' shirt, or a deep red shirt and Egyptian pattern tie,
black leather blazer and,
Grinning, devil's head ring with a fire opal for a 'cyclopean' eye.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Costumes in bizarre magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL