The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Soft Bullet Catch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Amadeus_Magi
View Profile
New user
Jakarta, Indonesia
100 Posts

Profile of Amadeus_Magi
The Magician announces to the specators that he/she can perform the Classic Bullet Catch Magic in a brand new way. The Rifle/Gun is examined, and everything is ok. The rifle shoots out the bullet and breaks the glass. The magician acts as if catching the bullet but...guess what...a giant bullet-shaped sponge appears from the magician's mouth instead of the real metal bullet.
Magic Beyond Your Imagination
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
It seems I saw on the market (Robbins? ) a "bullet catch" using sponge bullets. Seems it would burst a balloon held in your mouth. I like the idea of a non-bullet bullet catch, but some things seem to lack an internal logic.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Amadeus_Magi
View Profile
New user
Jakarta, Indonesia
100 Posts

Profile of Amadeus_Magi
Yes, you're right, but what if we use it as comedy magic?
Magic Beyond Your Imagination
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Instead of sponge bullets, which turn a powerful/dangerous effect into something that's pure fluff, what about using paint ball guns and paint ball bullets?

It seems to me, one of them can be freely selected by a participant, loaded into the gun, and aimed at the performer's open mouth.

Upon the gun's firing, the performer's head is thrown back, his mouth is tightly drawn, his cheeks strain, and then -- he spews the proper colored dye into a plate!

This may just walk that line between truly suspenseful (those bullets can really hurt) and weirdly funny (in the same way my childhood dog was funny when he ate my crayolas and drooled in technicolor).

Sophisticated? Well, that's another story.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I think there needs to be some connection between the bullet shot and what arrives in your mouth for the audience to "get it." You could shoot sponge balls and have them appear in your mouth (they could select the color). If you were to have the "bullet" transform, then your routine would need to build some expectation for that. Some theme of things magically getting bigger... magic gone heywire and out of control. You would have to build to that moment when the audience says to themselves... "Did that bullet grow in his mouth... what will it look like?" and then the revelation may have some comic effect. Enlarging power, Magnifying glass (ala Sylvester the Jester), you get the idea.

Of course there are other ways to go... What if you held a deck of cards in your mouth and had it shot from your mouth with (???small fruit, ping pong ball, sponge???) The deck flys and you are left with the item in your teeth... the large sponge (fruit...??) is opened to find a previously selected card inside.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
I think the paintball idea is perfect. It makes sense, yet it's a little quirky and retains the element of danger.

I posted an idea for a method in the "Triple Dare" section of the banquet room.
bigplumbz
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of bigplumbz
Bullet catches? Paintball guns? You guys are crazy! Just kidding, though it isn't my field, I do believe I would enjoy watching this feat, it would be like updating an old effect by using paint balls instead, great ideas! Tell us how it goes!
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I told my dentist about the paintball idea. He, greedy fellow that he is, loves it.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Soft Bullet Catch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL