The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Seeing magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
Magic is my main interest. I spend almost all my time doing it. Once I saw some condiment cups and thought they were for the shell game. You know how many magic shows I've gone to?

Two. One of which when I was five.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find any magicians performing near me. I can't even find any magic TV specials. There doesn't seem to be any place to see it. What do you suggest?

P.S. I'm also more of a close-up magician than a stage one, but close-up magicians are even harder to find. Where could I go to see those?
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Well you have just answered the question about whether the market is flooded with magicians. If I was you I would use this as an opportunity to market myself.
Many magicians though prefer to perform corporately since that is where the most money is and these performances are not always open to the public.
So the next time you think "aah everyone has seen this...." think again. As for the clips above....Thanks I enjoyed watching them too.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
See this guide for shows, magicians, TV, shops...

http://allmagic3.com/listings/
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
madmaxa
View Profile
New user
Serbia and Montenegro
61 Posts

Profile of madmaxa
You can see a lot of close up performances at http://www.magicvideodepot.com
Life Coaching and Covert Hypnosis Coaching in Serbian or English language.
Serbian website: http://www.newera.co.rs/
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Also Check Meir Yedid's http://www.magictimes.com it's a great resource about Magic and Magicians.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Check with Brent at the Vanishing Rabbit. I can't remember the name of the restaurant off hand, but there is one in Calgary that regularly uses magicians as tableside entertainment. That same restaurant hosts an amateur magician's competition twice a year.

I also understand that a magician continues to perform at the Japanese Village restaurant every Sunday evening. Mickey Hades set this up quite some time ago and it continues to be an ongoing success. By the way, Mickey continues to live in Calgary and is a wealth of information and experience. If you ever get the chance, be sure to spend as much time as you can with him!

In addition to that, Calgary has an extremely active IBM Ring. I understand the Calgary Ring meets once a month at the Calgary Children's Hospital. Contact Everett Andrews (the IBM Territorial Vice President) for more information. As a result of the Ring, Calgary is host to some great lecturers that come through on a regular basis. Recently, I attended David Ginn's lecture and Silly Billy's lecture. Be sure to head out to the meetings and join up!

This evening, the City of Red Deer will be hosting a local magic competition! Many magicians from throughout the Province will be in attendance with prizes galore. Contact Wyatt Scott, owner of Great Scott Magic in Red Deer for more information. Red Deer is only 1.5 hours away from Calgary. You could attend the competition, watch some great magic, get to know a lot of other magicians and make it back to Calgary without missing a beat.

Of Course, if you don't mind the drive, you're always welcome at the Edmonton Magic Club. We meet on the third Monday of every month between 7:00 to 9:00 pm. There is no attendance fee and the only prerequisite is a genuine interest in magic. The meetings are held at my office (Highfield Law Office, 10132 - 80th Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta). It's a three hour drive, but if you happen to be in town, we'd love to see ya!

Now for the BIG ONE! In the summer of 2007, the City of Calgary will be host to the PCAM Convention. That's right - Calgary will be the location for the annual convention for the Pacific Coast Association of Magicians. Details for lecturers are still being ironed out, but Donovan Drescher (this year's IBM Ring President)has guaranteed a ton of A-list performers will be in attendance.

Well, that's some of the information off the top of my head. Have Fun!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Here is what I would suggest: Get a subscription to Magic Magazine. Every year they have a super section on what Magic Conventions are coming up. See if something is in your area or as close as possible and hit a good convention. Just make sure you hit every close-up competition and every lecture you can. Note on that: Make sure the convention is going to have a close-up competition. It's a great way to see a lot of the magic you like and a lot of fun. Best,
Brad Burt
Jondalawyer
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Jondalawyer
Brad's right. Conventions are 1, 2, 3 days of all you can eat..
kdb424
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburg PA
120 Posts

Profile of kdb424
Try ellusionist.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Seeing magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL