The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Presentations for Reset (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
Just curious what kind of presentations are used for the effect/variations of Reset other than just the descriptive patter of cards changing places? Thanks! Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Nick Trost's variation of Reset(Card Magic of Nick Trost) uses Kings and Deuces to represent Royalty (Kings) and commoners (deuces). He shows how the commoners can somehow appear as Royalty (change deuces to Kings). But it's just an illusion and they revert back to their roots and group back together.
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
Greg Wilson does a variation of reset, using aces and jacks with a black jack patter.
robinr
View Profile
Loyal user
Greater Los Angeles area
226 Posts

Profile of robinr
Nick is a friend and I love his magic, but I really think Reset is too strong a trick to have story patter. It's also too strong to do as part of a routine with court cards and aces. It needs to stand alone with something distinctly different following it. I first was exposed to it with a friend who did Earl Nelson's version. It was so good that I associated it with my friend and wouldn't try it myself. After several years, I finally decided I was depriving myself and worked until I had it done. Since then I've made tiny changes to the beginning and end of Nelson's routine, but it's still his, and of course his is only a "Variation" (as Nelson't book with it was called).

I did this one time for friends in a bar at a hotel in Vienna. Everyone in the bar stood around watching and applauding. Done right, at the point where the Aces have changed into Kings, everyone applauds, thinking it's all over. This time I had to wave back a man who kept running back and forth to his wife at a table, telling he what was going on. "Come back, it's not over." Then the Kings changed back to Aces. After I had finished the act and was sitting with my friends, this man came over and said "Now I can go back to Denmark and tell them I've seen 'real magic.'"

Done well, Reset is "real magic."

Robin
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I've worked out a few different original handlings of Reset. It is my absolute favorite card trick. I love how much mileage you can get out of just eight ungaffed playing cards.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Check out magicvideodepot.com and search Reset. You will see how magicians around the world do it.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2006-02-22 12:30, robinr wrote:
Nick is a friend and I love his magic, but I really think Reset is too strong a trick to have story patter...

Done well, Reset is "real magic."

Robin

I disagree adamantly with the first statement and somewhat agree with the second statement.

Are you saying that Reset would play best with a silent presentation? Darwin Ortiz discusses the problem with this thinking in "Strong Magic" and I happen to agree 100%.

Regarding the second comment, it is only "real magic" with a presentation that makes it so.

Just my opinion.
Cognite tute
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What motivates the cards changing places?

Is it what the performer wants them to do? Perhaps he is trying to get them to turn face down and when they do they become the "other" cards. Then.. when he looks where he put those other cards he finds they have changed back?

Just asking
...to all the coins I've dropped here
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17290 Posts

Profile of joseph
I prefer the Harris version from his early video (#1?)..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Jason Randal has an excellent presentation centered around cheating at Blackjack. His routine inspired Gregory Wilson's routine.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I have a question about the Earl Nelson version -- are all of his handlings included in the "Reset Variations" section of AOA, or are there more in is book "Variations"?

I need another magic book like I need a hole in the head, but I would like to stick with one handling of this trick. Since I like the change Nelson made in the opening count, I wonder if there is more to his version.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Ammar has Harris' version in his ETMCM vol#4 DVD.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Chris Kenner has an interesting take on this in TOOC.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Harkey also has a very good version that I do all the time in his book.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1522 Posts

Profile of Cain
I remember commenting on a video on MVD once and a magician (he posts here and has released some material) told me that Reset is really an effect suited for "amateurs," and most people have yet to "grow out of it." Forever more those words of "wisdom" spring to mind at the mention of this great trick.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I have been toying with a potential routine idea. It's based on the idea that the four aces are considered the most magical cards. I try to present various ideas of why this idea persists. Reset comes in at the time when I show that for many effects , such as the picking of cards in midair, aces are no more magical than other cards. A part of the effect would go, "If I am simply making a card appear (show palmed ace), an ace is no more magical (show ace on top of stack), than say, a king (twirl change top card into a king)." I don't know how a spectator would react to it, as it's not been completed yet.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Check out Robbie Moreland's Presentation/Handling from the Illusive Actions DVD. Very Entertaining!
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-04-30 14:35, Cain wrote:
I remember commenting on a video on MVD once and a magician (he posts here and has released some material) told me that Reset is really an effect suited for "amateurs," and most people have yet to "grow out of it." Forever more those words of "wisdom" spring to mind at the mention of this great trick.

Cain,

could you elaborate a little bit more on why RESET is more something for an amateur magician?

Andy
Cards never lie
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I do the version by David Harkey. First I perform it normally...no story...stories clutter up and confuse this type of effect. Then I offer to do it again, only this time I tell them how it is done. Notice that I did not say that I SHOW them...I TELL them. I go through the entire routine normally, but my patter is nothing but magician's jargon: Elmsley Count, Double Card, Paintbrush Change, etc...I even give book refrences where each of the sleights are taught. After each phase I say that god-awful phrase, "See? Magic is EASY once you know the secret!" This is done at a sleightly faster pace than the 1st performance. This always has the audience laughing in tears. Smile
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1522 Posts

Profile of Cain
Andy: I think you misread what I wrote.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Presentations for Reset (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL