The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Presentations for Reset (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
I use a poker theme. Basically, I talk about a game I once played:
I started out with a really good hand (4 aces), but then one by one, the cards started changing into (lower-value cards). I realized that the guy I was playing with was a card cheat and somehow he was switching his hand with mine.
But he didn't realize that he was playing against a magician --- hey presto, I changed the cards back, leaving him with the (lower cards).
SSG
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of SSG
My patter draws on Robert Houdin's statement that "a magician is merely an actor playing the role of a magician."

I then talk a little about how vital acting is in a magician's repertoire.

"For example, if I were to show you these Aces and tell you that they were, in fact, Queens, that would require a lot of acting..."
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
I use the PH RESET, and I absolutely love it. I like using the "hypnotism" technique to make the spectators believe that I made them think the aces were queens. I do that for Two Card Monte too.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Cain,
sorry, I still do not get it. You did mention that a magician labeled RESET as a trick for amateurs. Any reason behind that statement?
Cards never lie
NiallTL
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of NiallTL
I have a version called "Threeset" - I am currently working on a small booklet - threeset will be included in it.
magiCAD
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
166 Posts

Profile of magiCAD
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 04:07, Andy the cardician wrote:
Cain,
sorry, I still do not get it. You did mention that a magician labeled RESET as a trick for amateurs. Any reason behind that statement?

Cain himself did not make this statement. He said another magician did. Reread his post.
-Rich
Stilts
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake
90 Posts

Profile of Stilts
I too have found a lot of mileage from Reset. It is commercial, can be performed for all ages, and can be done with any deck of playing cards.

I personally perform the version from Jim Swain's book 21st Century Card Magic. The trick is titled "Metamorphasis". The premise of the patter is that as a close up magician you know how stage magicians do one of their big stage illusions-"The Metamorphasis" and you demonstrate that with the aces as magicians and the queens as the assistants.
Derrick
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I'm sure this was mentioned already but I will repeat it... And if it wasn't then goodie...That means less people know about it. Smile

One of the most amazingly brilliant presentation for reset is in Jim Swain's 21ST Century Card Magic...It will be hard to find the book but the whole idea is this...

You talk about one of the greatest if not the greatest magicians to ever live, Harry Houdini a.k.a Eric Weiss... You talk about how he impacted the art and one of the greatest effects he ever did was change places with his assistant who was locked in a box in seconds...

Now I can't afford a box nor a lovely assistant.. So I will use these cards the Kings as the magicians and the queens as the assitants,

Yadda yadda yadda...Queens go in box and magicians switch places with them...

Great magic...

SIX
zachdotcom
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
58 Posts

Profile of zachdotcom
I'll throw in another vote for Harkey's version. If you can get your hands on that book, do it. It's amazing.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-05-24 09:13, magiCAD wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 04:07, Andy the cardician wrote:
Cain,

Cain himself did not make this statement. He said another magician did. Reread his post.

I know that, but why did the other magician made that statement?
Cards never lie
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1522 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
One of the most amazingly brilliant presentation for reset is in Jim Swain's 21ST Century Card Magic...It will be hard to find the book but the whole idea is this...

Freakingeh I wanna get my hands on this book. Is it that good? Argh.

Andy, your first reply implied otherwise. In any case, this particular magician was really condescending, saying Reset was a "good" trick for "amateurs." He offered no supporting argument, so I don't know exactly why he made such an outlandish assertion.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Why specifically should the audience care that the cards you fussed over seem to be changing to some other cards you fussed over in such a contrived, obviously less than magical and far from satisfying manner?

Those who can read have some avenues to explore. Those who can't will likely believe what I wrote and hopefully get back to more direct magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Cain - thanks. Finally got it.
Cards never lie
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
I will put in another vote for Jason Randal's Version with its wonderful hook it is (at least one of) the most motivated versions out there. I had forgotten about it for a while but recently rediscovered it and it is becoming a mainstay in my repitoire.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Presentations for Reset (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL